Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Curious Feeding/Firing Issues

So, a family member and myself both own Ruger P95's. Both brand new guns when purchased.

My P95 has been 100% flawless in feeding and firing. I have not had any failures of any kind. His P95 in my hands (*Make note: in my hands) has been just as reliable, no failures in my hands.

That brings me to the problem I haven't figured out yet. When my family member shoots the same gun, it fails like crazy. It stovepipes, it fails to extract, it fails to feed, etc.. Every single time he takes it out. I'm talking 3,4,5 times per each 15 round mag. So, I get it in my hands... Boom boom boom - perfect Ruger, no failures. To this day, I have shot probably hundreds of rounds out of the same exact gun with zero failures. In his hands, I doubt it's gone more than 10 shots back to back without failing. He will shoot it, it will jam, he will then hand it to me and I will shoot it with zero trouble.

So what is going on here, and how can he correct it? I have tried to address limp-wristing, which I don't see how it could be the problem. I also had a thought that he could be holding in the trigger past the shot... As in, pressing the trigger to shoot and then not releasing it after the shot.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Curious Feeding/Firing Issues

Did you have your family member shoot your p95? If the same thing happens then it is definitely their technique. If there are no problems, then it could be their gun. My guess right now is limp wristing. Have them start doing some curls to strengthen up their grip and arms.

(Centre County)

I think you know where/what the answer is. It's not the gun, it's the shooter. Take them to the range and have them grip the gun (empty chamber) and then see how firm they are holding it. Have them pull the trigger (again, nothing in the chamber). Watch the trigger pull closely along with the grip. See if the gun is loose in the hand. It appears that they are loosening their grip as they pull the trigger (yes it can happen, they may be loosening the three fingers that are gripping the gun as they pull the trigger).

You can also load up a magazine, stand behind them, have them grip it and then you put your hand on theirs to insure that the grip is good and shoot and see what happens. I'd almost bet that the gun functions correctly.

As above, they may just need to increae their grip strength and there are a myriad of ways to do this.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I think you know where/what the answer is. It's not the gun, it's the shooter. Take them to the range and have them grip the gun (empty chamber) and then see how firm they are holding it. Have them pull the trigger (again, nothing in the chamber). Watch the trigger pull closely along with the grip. See if the gun is loose in the hand. It appears that they are loosening their grip as they pull the trigger (yes it can happen, they may be loosening the three fingers that are gripping the gun as they pull the trigger).

You can also load up a magazine, stand behind them, have them grip it and then you put your hand on theirs to insure that the grip is good and shoot and see what happens. I'd almost bet that the gun functions correctly.

As above, they may just need to increae their grip strength and there are a myriad of ways to do this.
    Thanks for the reply, and yes I'm certain it is the shooter and not the gun. I cannot remember if he ever shot my P95 or not, I have to think we've tried that at least once. What you said makes alot of sense, he is a wood worker so his grip is plenty strong - But loosening his grip as he pulls the trigger might be the secret issue. I'm going to check that out.

Anyone else have a theory?

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Did you have your family member shoot your p95? If the same thing happens then it is definitely their technique. If there are no problems, then it could be their gun. My guess right now is limp wristing. Have them start doing some curls to strengthen up their grip and arms.
    That was my initial guess, but I've addressed the grip so many times... and I just can't imagine his wrist is weak.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chillafusion View Post
    That was my initial guess, but I've addressed the grip so many times... and I just can't imagine his wrist is weak.
    While the issue is most likely in his hands/wrist, it could also be he's absorbing the recoil by allowing his arms or body to move back with it. Or a combination of all.

(Lehigh County)

Looks like they need this:

(Berks County)

I want to address your last concern from the original post. You are supposed to hold the trigger back, it's called follow through. It has zero effect on feeding.
    Now the first part. You should be able to fire one handed no problem. Kinda removes the soaking up recoil in the arms part if you watch how that looks. If its not the wrist breaking then it's the grip being too soft. Try tape on the wrist so it can't bend to find out. Try feeding an empty to see if it's flinch. If none of this works get new springs. A weak recoil spring increases slide velocity because it starts back quicker, this could be catching the spent shell before it clears. Let us know how things turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by chillafusion View Post
    - But loosening his grip as he pulls the trigger might be the secret issue. I'm going to check that out.

Anyone else have a theory?
    'Bout the only other thing it could be is anticipation and using his wrist to add momentum to the recoil process. If you shoot his gun with no failures, you can rule everything else out.

If a semi auto pistol is held straight when shot, if will cycle with a stiffer spring than the one that came in it, most of the time. When the muzzle is allowed to rise too much during a shot, pressure builds between the slide and frame that it isn't supposed to be there. In other words, the slide tries to lift off of the frame instead of just going straight back. The other thing this does is it kills the momentum of the slide. The gun is fired and the slide is pushed straight back.....if the muzzle rises too much, too fast, the slide still is being pushed straight back, but it has to compete with the angle that the pistol is being held. The slide will ride heavy on the frame rails as if it's being lifted while going back.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    While the issue is most likely in his hands/wrist, it could also be he's absorbing the recoil by allowing his arms or body to move back with it. Or a combination of all.
    Probably the better, short explanation of what is going on. A misfire or trying to shoot with no round in chamber/dud purposely put there, will really tell the tale. You just have to know what you're looking for when he shoots.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast