Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Help me decide! (Update!)

Im planning to pick up some plastic wonders.

I basically narrow down my choices to 3.

Glock G17 Gen4
    S&W M&P9
    H&K USP9(full size)

But Im stuck here. I can not decide which one to get!

Glock G17 $599 - Great all around gun - been around bunch of years, serves many police/military around the world. I already have G22, so everything I have for it(Holster and stuff) will work. Parts are plenty, and Glock Mag seems to be the easiest to find(and it comes with 3 - 17 round mag to begin with). Availability of 33rds factory mag. Proven platform
    But everyone and their brother's have them. Not great trigger. Great reset tho. But reset don't make you shoot better.

M&P9 $499 - Another great all arounder. Fits my hand the best. Decent aftermarket support. Great warranty department. 17rds.
    But seems that no one have any mags for it. Parts are little more expensive. And only comes with 2 mags
    HORRIBLE trigger. Needs to buy holster and stuff. Little less reliable than Glock?

H&K USP9 $819 - been around bunch of years, serves many police/military around the world. little chunkier than above 2. Trigger aren't that great(DA/SA). SA is okay, but DA is...well, typical DA - Long and heavy. Looks good. Able to reconfigure from many different set up by swapping out the parts. Don't fit my hand that great. But I can manage.
    its also most expensive. Mags are expensive(or parts for that matter).
    Only 15rds. 18rd mag is available, but is ass expensive.
    Proprietary Rail is dumb.
    Need to buy holster as well.
    But its H&K. Superb German engineering. Not many people have them

I would love to hear everyone's opinions on them
    Last edited by Mity2; March 6th, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Chester County)

Default Re: Help me decide!

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    M&P9 $499 - Another great all arounder. Fits my hand the best. Decent aftermarket support. Great warranty department. 17rds.
    But seems that no one have any mags for it. Parts are little more expensive. And only comes with 2 mags
    HORRIBLE trigger. Needs to buy holster and stuff. Little less reliable than Glock?
    Not less reliable than the Glock. On par I'd say.

(Cumberland County)

I'm not a Glock fanatic but I do like mine. Out of the three, I'd go for the G17 - but that price is high based on what I see around here. Good luck!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Chester County)

The newer M&P 9s use the same trigger bar as the M&P Shields. The trigger pull isn't that bad, but it does smooth out over time. Worst case scenario you can order an apex trigger kit. Here are extra mags you can buy.

I like the new Glock 17 Gen 4s, but I still rather have an M&P 9 (personal preference). Either way, it's a great gun and accurate shooter.

I have no experience with HK USPs, so I can't really comment. However if it doesn't fit your hand then don't get it. I had a Glock 30sf that was a very accurate gun, but it felt like I was holding a 2x4 in my hand. I sold it and never regretted it even though it was a great shooter.

(Centre County)

Great input, guys.

My big issue(and pro a well) with Glock is that I already have G22 Gen4.
    G17 Gen4 is identical to G22. Which means that I have least amount of transitional period, since everything is identical.
    No extra money out of pocket for holster.
    trigger isn't the best(remember, I shoot mostly 1911's, trigger, no matter how nice they are as far as striker fired pistol goes, its still gonna feel odd to me), but improve their trigger is easy, and cheap - Gen3 trigger bar with Glock (-) connector, polish everything, you'll have your 5lb trigger for less than $40, or less.
    They don't fit my hand as nice as M&P does. But as I shoot G22, and Im pretty much gotten used to their grip.

My Big issue with M&P is those damn triggers.
    As philadelphia patriot has mentioned, I have heard that that they are supposed to have been improved those horrendous trigger on new one.
    One that I looked at must be not the newest, as trigger was mushy, and heavy. Almost made me think that the trigger return spring is made out of rubber band.
    This is easy fix, as Apex Tactical has some trigger kit that are highly praised. But if your getting the whole kit, they are $149.
    But they do fit my hand nicely.

H&K USP9 - It seems that they are one of those pistol that does nothing great, but everything well enough. decent trigger(DA is heavy, but main spring are easy enough to change), decent accuracy, reliable, and its H&K. They don't make anything that's bad.
    They don't fit my hand the best, but not terrible. about par with Glock.
    My big issue with them, is of course the its most expensive. Parts are expensive. It needs rail adaptor to use my current weapon mounted light. No one stocks mag, and they aren't cheap.
    most expensive gun, expensive mags, and I need to buy holster. So while I've always wanted the USP9, amount of money I need to get everything I want is defiantly turning me off.
    But I think USP is best looking gun(Totally irrational, and pointless observation, but no one likes ugly guns)

For this past 2 months, I have been paying layaway, not knowing which guns to get. but I have paid enough that I can just pick up the M&P. And I just sold one of my 1911 today that the if I want, I can just pay more and get Glock or USP.

Just can't friggin make up my mind!
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Cumberland County)

Go for the Glock - you know you want it - lol. Just don't pay $600 !
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Chester County)

If you have a G22 Gen 4, then just get a 9mm conversion barrel, 9mm mags, and maybe a new recoil spring (I forget if you need this or not, either way they are pretty cheap).

Conversion Barrel - $109.95
    Glock 17 mags - $29.00/each
    Glock 17, Gen. 4 recoil assembly - $17.00

Conversion barrel + 3 mags + recoil assembly = $213.95 + shipping
    Last edited by philadelphia patriot; March 4th, 2014 at 10:36 PM.

(Delaware County)

Four Hi-Points. One of each of the calibers they put out.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Armstrong County)

Why not also consider a Springfield XD series?

I shoot Glock, M&P and a XDm. All good choices.
    To me the better feeling of the group is the M&P. But still like them all

A plus for the XDm 9 mm is that it holds 19+1 and is 'convertible' to a compact using the 2nd magazine that comes with the pistol. All in a pistol about the size of a G17 or M&P 9.

It also comes with a magazine pouch and Blackhawk like holster.

All in all I have more Glocks. But I never sell and have had some since long before the others were introduced.
    But... I do like the Springers.

(Tioga County)

M&P's to me are average. Not bad, not good or great. Just there. The trigger is crap. I hear that lots of cop shops have problems with theirs which have had some switch over to Glocks instead.

The USP I don't have much experience with. They seem to be ok pistols but there has never been a bug in my head to go run out and buy one. The price point there is higher.

The Glock 17 I would pick easily over any of the others. I'm not a total Glock fanboi, but I can't imagine ever getting rid of mine and may get a few others in time.

My next pistol is the Walther PPQ. Better trigger than all of these and appears to be a touch more accurate too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast