Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Lycoming County)

Default Where to buy Colts in PA?

Hi guys, new to this forum but am a member on many others.

I have a quick question for you all: do any of you know of a gunshop anywhere in PA that regularly stocks Colts? I turn 21 in a couple months and would like a new Series 70 for my first. None of the shops in my area have any, and I called Grice in Clearfield this morning and they said they don't have any Colts at all.

The ponies seem kind of elusive, and I am willing to travel far and wide to find a new one. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default Re: Where to buy Colts in PA?

(Lawrence County)

Not sure if this is too far and wide for you but Nesbits has a small batch of Colt 1911s. Not sure exactly which models but I do recall possibly a two tone combat elite and a mustang.

http://usedgunspa.com/nesbit-guns/about/

They also have some other nice offerings in 1911.

You can also check Dukes which is about 5mins up the road.

http://www.dukessportshop1.com/conta...sport-shop.php

Both places usually have higher prices than I care for but I guess that's a matter of opinion.

(Blair County)

is it that no one carries them or no one has any to sell .may be go to colt's sight and ask them who carry them in the state . there is
    http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/Default.aspx
    can they order one for you a lot of shops will
    colt made a lot of people mad there owner was anti gun not sure if he is still the owner .

(Lycoming County)

Thanks for the links and advice guys. I'm actually looking for a blued 70, not stainless.

Anyways, I'm a regular at a shop I only live a few blocks from. They just got a new blued Colt S70 in yesterday, tagged at $1,200. About a month ago, I put an order in for a S70 at a different shop. They said if they could get one in, the final price (tax included) would be $1,145. Now.. should I wait another month and a half to see if the shop I ordered from can get one in for cheaper, or put the one that's available now on layaway?...

Decisions, decisions...

In the meantime I'll still be looking everywhere for these 1911s.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by TheHappyGunner View Post
    Thanks for the links and advice guys. I'm actually looking for a blued 70, not stainless.

Anyways, I'm a regular at a shop I only live a few blocks from. They just got a new blued Colt S70 in yesterday, tagged at $1,200. About a month ago, I put an order in for a S70 at a different shop. They said if they could get one in, the final price (tax included) would be $1,145. Now.. should I wait another month and a half to see if the shop I ordered from can get one in for cheaper, or put the one that's available now on layaway?...

Decisions, decisions...

In the meantime I'll still be looking everywhere for these 1911s.
    In my opinion, the gun in the hand is worth two "on order". Especially when it's coming from your favorite LGS at which you're a 'regular' and the difference is only $55. (Did you ask if they could come down off of the price?)

If this is your first 1911, you might find this article to be interesting:

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gears...ur-first-1911/

(Lycoming County)

Might I ask which shops that you looked at? I'm local to you and regularly get around to Troxells, Saurs, and National. I know National usually has a couple colts in stock. Last I was in was @ a week ago and they had to full sizes (not sure if they were series 70 or 80) and a defender. Troxells carries colts sometimes but I have not seen any in stock of late. Saurs would only be able to order a new one but, I don't belive he stocks colts regularly.

I ask becase that price seems a little high to me for a plain jane series 70. I was thinking and I belive I have seen them locally before for sub $1100. If you're not in a hurrry I will probably make it to National and maybe Saurs on either Thursday or Friday. I'd be happy to take a look and see what they in stock.

If you have not called Troxells yet try and see what he can get one for. He is usually about the cheapest around for new handguns.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Thanks for the link. Geez, first he says essentially the 1911 is "junk" to buy a Glock, then makes the case that $$$$$ of customizing and 'smithing will be necessary to end up with a shoot-able and reliable 1911 if you do buy one. I think Larry has too much "plastic on the brain" with his Glock worship.

There has been over a hundred years to work the bugs out of what was a great design to begin with. My experience has been that a well made 1911 from a good company (Colt, S&W, etc.) is going to be just fine out of the box and NOT require anything beyond normal care and maintenance. I don't think it's possible to even quantify the overall feel of "quality" (and trigger pull) of a 1911 vs a Glock.

SO, if you are a first time 1911 buyer, take that article with very few grains of salt. If you're uncertain, find someone who ones one or a shop/range to try one out before buying to see how it relates to you.

1911s can be a thing of beauty and craftsmanship, something NO Glock can be.

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes_Paulsen View Post
    If this is your first 1911, you might find this article to be interesting:

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gears...ur-first-1911/

walmart is a good bet...

they have quite a few here in WV if you want
    Montani Semper Liberi

You mean you dont want a Glock?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast