Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Windsor Fish and Game

I've been looking to join for some time and they have open membership currently. Is anyone a member there that can shed some light on what they have to offer and so forth. I did look at the website, just looking for some personal input.

(York County)

Default Re: Windsor Fish and Game

*bump*

I know a number of people here are members there, and my wife and I were members for a couple years until we found a range a little closer. It's been a couple years since I was there so I have no current information for you.

At the time I found the shooting area to be VERY nice and recently built, with ample stations for both pistol (out to 25 yds) and rifle (out to 200 yds).
    They also had archery areas and IIRC shotgun areas as well.

The have a nice little clubhouse but it was only open for meetings or special occasions, no regular access for members, although there was a soda machine outside, and outside access to restrooms.

It was also a rather quiet range. In the 2 years we were members we only ran into other people shooting there on one occasion. Sometimes it's nice to have the place to yourself! I also recall that participation in range upkeep was voluntary instead of the required participation you find at some clubs.

They have a web site:

http://www.windsorfishandgame.org/

...and a face book page:

https://www.facebook.com/Windsor.Fis...me.Association

Joining used to be a fairly simple process, just show up at one of their regular meetings, one or two folks would vouch for you after you introduced yourself, and you were good to go. Good luck!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Thanks for the reply, I missed the monthly meeting last night had some things come up. I'm curious what range did you find closer? I'm in the Red Lion area and I see your location says Windsor is there another range closer to the area?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by FlinchbaughD View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I missed the monthly meeting last night had some things come up. I'm curious what range did you find closer? I'm in the Red Lion area and I see your location says Windsor is there another range closer to the area?

I joined the York Rifle Range (York Riflemen). WF&G was south of me, York Riflemen is north, and the distance is probably similar but I found YR to be an easier drive and larger club. I'm about 6 houses away from Springettsbury at the far northern edge of Windsor Township, or Borough, or whichever.

So a couple years ago I switched, and got in just in time, it seems. York Riflemen is almost constantly at maximum membership and has only opened itself for new members once in the last 5 years. I knew a number of folks at YR so it also made it easier for all of us to get together and shoot.

There is another range you might want to look into, used to be called East Prospect Fish and Game, but I can't find their web site now. I was only there once as a guest but the place looked huge and seemed to have a lot to offer. We all met at Windsor and then drove to the East Prospect range and it only took a couple minutes down back roads. Maybe they changed their name to Craley?

I get a little overwhelmed with all the choices in PA. I lived in Maryalnd most of my life, and I'm pretty sure York County has 10 times as many ranges as all of Maryland. Other than the ultra Gucci Freedom Armory all of them are really cheap, like $20 - $30 per year or so, so you could join several and shoot at a different place every time you go. I was a member of Windsor and YR for 2 years until I was sure I was happy with just YR.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.