Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ohio resident camping PA

Hello just signed up for forum. I have been lurking for a while. Some great info here! I have a question about bringing a firearm to PA. I have been renting a cabin every year in the Tionesta area for almost 20 yrs. I go there to fish/camp. I know I can bring a rifle/shotgun no problem but what if I want to bring my .357 revolver? I do not have a Ohio CCW and I don't want one. In PA law section 1606 it lists a vacation home as a legal exemption to allowing a firearm in your vehicle. Do I have to own the vacation home or is rental Ok for the exemption. In addition can an Ohio resident obtain a Sportsman Firearm permit? This way since I am going to a fishing area when camping I could legally bring the revolver with me regardless of vacation home exemption. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Ohio resident camping PA

Just curious...why would you not want an OH CCW? With it you could get a PA LTCF easily on your next trip to PA.

(Jefferson County)

A rental camp would very well likely be considered a vacation or recreational home. ...so, you would be able to transport an unloaded and securely wrapped handgun from OH to the cabin, and from the cabin back directly to OH.

To get from the cabin to the fishing area(s) it would have to be either on foot openly if you don't have a license/permit. Or if you get a Sportsmans Permit you can carry in a vehicle openly or concealed(also concealed on foot while fishing). Yes, you can get a Sportsmans Permit if you have a PA Fishing License. You can apply at any county's treasurers office - just be sure to bring your PA fishing license with you.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    A rental camp would very well likely be considered a vacation or recreational home. ...so, you would be able to transport an unloaded and securely wrapped handgun from OH to the cabin, and from the cabin back directly to OH.

To get from the cabin to the fishing area(s) it would have to be either on foot openly if you don't have a license/permit. Or if you get a Sportsmans Permit you can carry in a vehicle openly or concealed(also concealed on foot while fishing). Yes, you can get a Sportsmans Permit if you have a PA Fishing License. You can apply at any county's treasurers office - just be sure to bring your PA fishing license with you.
    ^^ THIS

Also be aware that, if you don't get a Sportsman's Permit and there is a declared State of Emergency, then carrying outside the cabin in any manner is not an option.
    Last edited by tl_3237; March 2nd, 2014 at 02:01 PM.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Just wanted to make sure I read that right. Even though I'm not a resident of PA but have a vacation house in which I own. As long as I have a sportsmans permit. I'm legally allowed to carry ? Not trying to be funny in anyway. I have tried to obtain a carry permit because I own property in PA and pay taxes. I was asked what state I lived in and after I said Maryland it went no further. Just would like to carry when fishing.

Mike that is correct. It is my understanding that a pa sportsman's license allows you to carry while fishing and traveling to a fishing spot. Of course the right to open carry applies regardless of sportsman's license. The problem is how do you get to the fishing spot? The sportsman's firearm license solves that problem ONLY if traveling too or from fishing spot.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike3888 View Post
    Just wanted to make sure I read that right. Even though I'm not a resident of PA but have a vacation house in which I own. As long as I have a sportsmans permit. I'm legally allowed to carry ? Not trying to be funny in anyway. I have tried to obtain a carry permit because I own property in PA and pay taxes. I was asked what state I lived in and after I said Maryland it went no further. Just would like to carry when fishing.
    A LTCF is issued by a sheriff, and for a non-resident to acquire one he has to have a license/permit from his home state if they issue them.

A Sportsmans Permit is issued by county treasurers and isn't dependent on having a licence/permit from one's home state. A SP allows a person to carry in a vehicle and/or concealed to/from/during sporting activities, if properly licensed for such activity. Said sporting activities are: hunting, fishing, trapping, and dog training. The only thing the SP is dependent upon is having the appropriate sporting license.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Thumbs up Re: Ohio resident camping PA

Thanks guys. Just wanted some verification on that. I already understand the traveling issue between states, and have been in touch with local sheriff's office in which the county my place is.

(Indiana County)

By federal law you are a resident of Pennsylvania. True, your domicile might be in another state, but you do maintain a residence in Pennsylvania.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    By federal law you are a resident of Pennsylvania. True, your domicile might be in another state, but you do maintain a residence in Pennsylvania.
    Provided he maintains "a home" at his vacation house in Pennsylvania, and only while he is actually occupying that vacation house, would he be considered a Pennsylvania resident for purposes of Federal gun laws [i.e. 18 USC chapter 44].

That Federal "dual resident" status does not affect his residency with respect to issuance of an LTCF. I'm unaware of any Commonwealth statute or regulation which defines a Pennsylvania resident for LTCF purposes. Recently renegotiated reciprocity agreements by Pennsylvania's Atty. Gen. with states, such as Florida and Virginia, does lend credence that one can be a part-time Pennsylvania resident and, by inference, obtain a PA LTCF as a PA resident.

From the Virginia reciprocity agreement advisory:
    If you are a dual resident of Pennsylvania and Virginia, you need not apply for a CCP in Pennsylvania if you currently hold a CCP from Virginia.
    Unfortunately, I doubt that many, if any, sheriffs would consider issuing an LTCF to someone with an alien state driver' s license as if they were a Pennsylvania resident without specific guidance from the Atty. Gen.'s office.
    Last edited by tl_3237; March 2nd, 2014 at 08:38 PM.
    IANAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast