Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default High security briefcase?

Does anyone know if a metal briefcase exists with either a lock which is extremely difficult to pick or with an electronic keypad type lock similar to the Gunvault where multiple numbers can be programmed in various sequences?
    I am thinking of a metal briefcase which could not be easily forced or pried open or have its lock picked, in order to prevent it from being illegally searched during a routine traffic stop.

I know a locked briefcase is supposed to be considered off limits for searches except in cases of RAS or PC. But you never know when an officer might decide to get a little overzealous. I am thinking of this similarly to how I might look at putting a robust password on my phone to prevent unauthorized access to information contained therein.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: High security briefcase?

Well first off if they are searching your car then they can search anything within your car to include a briefcase and second what do you got to hide? I can understand protecting your privacy but having something all locked up in your car not wanting to open it during a legal search will draw even more suspicion.

(Allegheny County)

The nuclear football is carried in a Zero Halliburton.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Chester County)

It would be pretty funny watching them tussle to get the case opened up to find it empty or full of those spring loaded snakes like in the can of peanuts. Lol
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by superdave9882 View Post
    Well first off if they are searching your car then they can search anything within your car to include a briefcase and second what do you got to hide? I can understand protecting your privacy but having something all locked up in your car not wanting to open it during a legal search will draw even more suspicion.
    I think someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think what you said is correct. I believe if they encounter a locked case inside a vehicle they are then required to get a warrant, or attempt to demand that you open them for them.

As for what to hide, I wouldn't want the police running the serial numbers of my firearms through their not a registry database. Too many people have had their firearms seized because it didn't appear in their not a registry.

As far as the OP's question, maybe a bank deposit bag would work out. The lock is very difficult to pick, and they'd actually have to cut the bag open, and they really couldn't do that short of a warrant.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

I think what it all boils down to if your not doing anything illegal then why worry. If they feel they have PC to search your car then they will get a warrent. I understand the firearms thing because depending on the state it has a different database.

(Lancaster County)

I think what it all boils down to if your not doing anything illegal then why worry. If they feel they have PC to search your car then they will get a warrent. I understand the firearms thing because depending on the state it has a different database.
    This is a reason to worry: http://forum.pafoa.org/1862698-post-103.html

People have had their firearms seized countless times with no just cause other than it wasn't "registered" to them. So there's plenty of reason to be worried even if you're not doing anything wrong.

Cops many times will search a car because they coerce/threaten the driver to do so. Having something in a locked case ups the ante a bit for them to now articulate what PC they have to search to begin with and get a warrant for a locked case.

(Chester County)

Do you really need high security beyond a simple portable gun safe? Most Police don't carry tools to force open things like this.

Safe
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Allegheny County)

I read through most off those links, thanks for the posts. I understand where everyone is coming from but most cops wont do what these few did. Ive been pulled over 3 times since Ive been carrying and everytime they take my word check my license to carry and send me on my way. I know Im probably gonna get bashed for this but open carry like that one guy was in Walmart is dumb. I feel it brings too much negative attenion to you. The general public is afraid of guns. I concealed carry everyday and I think open carry just broadcasts your looing for attention.

(Lancaster County)

I read through most off those links, thanks for the posts. I understand where everyone is coming from but most cops wont do what these few did. Ive been pulled over 3 times since Ive been carrying and everytime they take my word check my license to carry and send me on my way. I know Im probably gonna get bashed for this but open carry like that one guy was in Walmart is dumb. I feel it brings too much negative attenion to you. The general public is afraid of guns. I concealed carry everyday and I think open carry just broadcasts your looing for attention.
    It's kind of like a reverse lottery. Sure most cops won't do that, but what happens when you hit the one that does? He seizes your $500 ~ $600 pistol and then before you get it back, he tells you that you'll need a court order. So you end up spending $2500 in legal fees to get your pistol back. That's the game they're playing. They know they can seize it and most people aren't going to pony up the cash to get it back.

Meanwhile they get to add a "another gun off the streets" to their local PD stat's submitted to the FBI.

I won't make any comment regarding OC/CC, this isn't the thread for that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast