Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default United Methodist Church 2008 Anti-Gun Resolution

I got into a discussion with my Pastor this morning about this... I decided to post the resolution for the rest of you to see.

I'd also appreciate any suggestion on how to explain why these anti-gun bills won't work, and why we shouldn't be supporting bills to limit freedom.

RESOLUTION #2008-06
    RESOLUTION TO 2008 ANNUAL CONFERENCE SESSION
    Pertaining To Support For “One Handgun A Month” Legislation In Pa.
    Presented By: Church And Society And A United Methodist Witness Pa

WHEREAS: The United Methodist Church has a long history of support for gun control
    legislation. The Social Principles 164 F states the position on the use of violence. Furthermore, the
    Bible discusses the following imperatives;
    1) The Sixth Commandment, “Thou Shall not kill,” not only forbids killing; it also implies
    that we are obligated to prevent harm and to preserve life and the well-being of human
    life;
    2) The book of Isaiah (1:17) encourages us to seek justice, Isaiah (65:29) speaks of a time
    when man will neither harm or destroy.
    3) Micah 6:8 NRSV “He has told you, O mortal, what is good;
    and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to
    walk humbly with your God?
    4) In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus calls us to be peacemakers by saying “Blessed are the
    peacemakers, for they will be called Children of God”; (Matthew 5:9 NSRV)
    WHEREAS: An increase in the incidence of handgun violence has occurred in recent years, with
    the attendant result of increased deaths. According to Law Enforcement’s Uniform Crime Reports,
    in the year 2007 in the Central Pa. Conference the murder rate (expressed in per 100,000) in some of
    our larger cities is as follows: Harrisburg 21.0, York 3.07, Williamsport 3.3, and Columbia 6.31 and,
    The overall rate for Pennsylvania is 6.2; and
    WHEREAS: The Commonwealth’s existing gun laws make multiple handgun purchases easy and
    cheap encouraging the illegal trade in handguns. According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and
    Firearms (ATF), the enabling factor in the illegal handgun distribution system in our Commonwealth
    is “straw purchasing” of handguns in bulk by eligible individuals who are, in fact, stand-ins for
    prohibited felons who traffic in guns. They then sell to drug dealers, violent teens, and gang
    members; and
    WHEREAS: Statistics provided by the (ATF) Crime Gun Trace Analysis indicate that 76% of the
    guns used in the commission of a crime in Philadelphia were originally legally purchased within the
    Commonwealth. However, nearly 87% of that total were not at the time of the commission of the
    crime in the hands of the original legal purchaser of that weapon; and
    WHEREAS: By limiting purchases to no more than one handgun in a 30-day period, legislation
    would disrupt straw purchases and seriously decrease the number of handguns available to the
    criminal element for use in violent criminal purposes. Reducing the supply would also reduce the
    incidence of handgun injury and death within the Central Pa. Conference. Substantial evidence shows
    that these laws effectively reduce illegal handgun trafficking without negative impact on lawful gun
    commerce.
    WHEREAS: a recent survey, by Greenberg Research, demonstrated that most Pennsylvanians
    (70%) support enactment of a One Handgun A Month law, and almost all Pennsylvanians (96%)
    support a law to require the reporting of lost or stolen handguns.
    NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED: That the congregations in the Central Pa.
    Conference call upon the House and Senate Judiciary Committee Chairs as well as Governor Rendell
    to enact and sign legislation to place limits on the purchase of handguns by individuals; require
    reporting of lost or stolen handguns and track registrations; and
    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That the Board of Church and Society request that the
    Conference Secretary communicate this resolution to Governor Rendell and Judiciary Chairs; and
    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That the Board of Church and Society be empowered to form a
    fully-diverse taskforce to work in coordination with other groups vigorously and continually towards
    enactment of the aforesaid One-Handgun-a-Month legislation until such time as it is signed into law;
    AND FINALLY, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That the Eastern Pa. Conference of The
    United Methodist Church encourage the aforementioned taskforce to provide educational materials
    and resources to congregations in its jurisdiction. These materials should provide information on 1.)
    the gun violence epidemic, 2.) the causes and affects of readily accessible guns, 3.) how the One-
    Handgun-a-Month legislation will reduce the supply and the number of handgun deaths, 4.) and
    finally, afford them a mechanism to use their voices to seek enactment of said legislation, corporately
    and individually.
    Person Responsible for Presenting Resolution: Rev. David Tatgenhorst

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: United Methodist Church 2008 Anti-Gun Resolution

Sounds like the seperation of church and state doest apply to them.....

(York County)

I'd suggest your pastor refrain from political work....the right to worship as one choses has no greater weight then the right to bear arms.
    If he or she is resistant, it's time to discuss this anti-rights agenda with his or her superiors.
    I used to be a Methodist...their liberal policies drove me away from that church.

Perhaps you should discuss with your church officials that they receive funds and community support from very few people anymore...and their policies can and will result in a schism in the church. Also, perhaps your pastor could find a more fitting way to earn his living....
    Last edited by RoyJackson; June 1st, 2008 at 03:37 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    I'd suggest your pastor refrain from political work....the right to worship as one choses has no greater weight then the right to bear arms.
    If he or she is resistant, it's time to discuss this anti-rights agenda with his or her superiors.
    I used to be a Methodist...their liberal policies drove me away from that church.

Perhaps you should discuss with your church officials that they receive funds and community support from very few people anymore...and their policies can and will result in a schism in the church. Also, perhaps your pastor could find a more fitting way to earn his living....
    Actually my Pastor doesn’t seem anti-gun at all. It seems like he just doesn't understand the reason behind the 2nd Amendment, or that once you start with guns laws like these worse ones will soon follow.

He said he doesn't think banning guns is right, which leads me to believe He just needs to be educated more on the subject.

I didn't get much time to talk to Him, but I tried to explain that one-handgun-a-month, and gun registration don't work, and that straw purchases are already illegal.

(Jefferson County)

I'd sooooo leave that church even if it meant being damned to hell.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I'd sooooo leave that church even if it meant being damned to hell.
    Leaving a Church doesn't mean being "damned to hell", I've left other churches and denominations before but I'm still a Christian.

I don't believe in loyalty to the "Church".

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    Leaving a Church doesn't mean being "damned to hell", I've left other churches and denominations before but I'm still a Christian.

I don't believe in loyalty to the "Church".
    I know that.. lol you missed the humor.. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Jesus Christ...

God will judge in the end so these guys don't have to.

The bible-verse-pick-and-choose game is no good here.

(Lancaster County)

Talking Re: United Methodist Church 2008 Anti-Gun Resolution

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I know that.. lol you missed the humor.. lol
    Oh I see, LOL

(Indiana County)

It seems like he just doesn't understand the reason behind the 2nd Amendment
    Have your pastor read the Preamble to the Bill of Rights (yes, it exists, but the federal government doesn't like us to know such stuff).

THE Conventions of a number of the States having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast