Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloaders

(Westmoreland County)

Default Reloaders

Which reloader to buy, a Lee Classic turret press or a Lee Pro 1000 set up? I am looking at over all cost, not really interested in a single stage. Looking to be able to do both pistol and rifle rounds.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Reloaders

My first question would be do you have any experience reloading. If new to reloading I would not rule a single stage press out so early. Many reloaders start out on a good single stage, then move up to a turret or progressive. I know several guys that have a couple progressive presses set up round specific, and also a single stage mounted on there bench.

Some applications a single stage just seems to be a better choice.

(Northampton County)

I started by using my neighbors press's. Then I bought my own Dillon 550 (the best, period). I have since added a lee single stage to size/deprime rifle brass.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

People reload. They are reloaders.
    Reloading presses come in many types. What type do YOU want. Each of us have our OWN preferences and you will have your own.
    Buy "ABCs of Reloading" and at least one loading manual and learn what type of reloading press is best for you.
    I wouldn't buy a Pro 1000. Then again, for a progressive press, I wouldn't buy with fewer than FIVE die stations, so even the Lee LoadMaster in NOT on my list of presses.
    If those two are your only choices, I couldn't help as I would not buy either of them--though I might prefer the semi-progressive turret, maybe, a little, but not enough to pull out hard earned money.

(Berks County)

Having experienced the lee 1000 myself I will NOT recommend that at all. In fact of the 2 choices you listed I would have to say neither would get my recommendation.

I have several presses including a lee 1000. (I gave up on that piece of shit about 7months after I bought it) There are several great presses on the market and if a single stage press is not what your looking for, there are two choices I would recommend. Either the Dillon or the Hornady. (these are the biggest selling progressive systems) I personally went with the Hornady LNL-AP and can't be more happy. I do know several who have Dillons and are happy with them as well. Honestly I think a good single stage press is an excellent investment for anyone who reloads.

The turret is going to be more versitile and require less expensive parts for new calibers (shellplates for pro1k, just shellholder for turret). They are both fiddly and need you to pay constant attention to make sure everything is going smoothly.

The turret safety prime attachment and spring loaded disc powder measure are highly reccomended for smooth efficient loading. Make sure you get the powder measure extension tube or it'll hit the primer feed as it circles. I use my turret as a single stage to load precision full power rifle rounds (.30-06). I do medium volume runs with the rod installed to spin the turret- like a few hundred .44 magnums or 38 S&W black powder cartridges The powder measure can tend to leak and throw a little powder around when using fine spherical powders, and the adjustable charge bar gets sticky and needs to be assisted to return after dumping a charge if Im using say AAC #9 powder.

The pro1000 has different problems. The primer feed needs some experience and vigilance to keep running smoothly. You definitely need a bottle of dust-off spray to clean it out if you miss a primer and dump powder into the case- it'll leak right down onto the primer track. Also there's a bank pen style ball chain that resets the powder measure that always break. I've replaced mine with a piece of fairly stiff screendoor type spring that works perfect. Also get some powdered graphite to make the primer feed reliable and smooth.

If you happen to use a powder and caliber that is trouble free then either setup will run pretty smoothly. I can really crank out .357 and .45acp on my Lee 1000. Since I reload lead 45s I have to do a seperate run with a factory crimp die to make sure they all chamber and headspace properly, and some headstamps tend to get a wrinkled case (aguila). Revolvers are more forgiving.

Good luck- I say start with the turret!

Radar
    Last edited by Radarsonwheels; March 2nd, 2014 at 01:27 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

I have tons of Lee products.. but even I will not buy a Pro1000 when you can get a loadmaster (with, BTW has 5 DIE stations).

Lee has really revamped all the presses in the last 5 years. Most ppl bitching about Lee probably don't own the newer stuff.

The Dillion 550 is not a progressive press, and for the cost you may as well simply go right to the 650... what's a few $100 when you are buying a Dillion? Just think of that warranty you'll get hahahahahaha

(Monroe County)

I use a Dillon sdb for pistol and have an rcbs rock chucker for rifle. Yes the blue cool aide does cost more but don't laugh at the warrenty. No bs means no bs. Something break I call and they send it.

(Jefferson County)

The Pro-1000 is not a rifle press despite being able to load 5.56/223 and 7.62x39. The stroke/rotation isn't calibrated for anything much longer than 5.56/223. And the shell plate selection is limited to nearly all handgun cartridges. That, and it is a pain in the ass to change the plate, then recalibrate all again. If you're gonna pick the Pro-1000 - you are best off buying several Pro-1000's and have them set up dedicatedly.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I picked up a Lee Turret a couple of weeks ago and found it to be a good investment. I've only used it for pistol cartridges, but so far it's been very consistent and repeatable. Much quicker than a single stage. The powder measure works off set charges per fixed bores in a polymer/nylon disk. I was running 4.2gr for some 45 reloads and every time I checked, that measure threw exactly 4.2gr. They also sell an adjustable disk to replace the fixed bores if you need a more precise charge weight. I’ve also validated that your die setup remains on target with removing the turret, storing, and reinstalling. No shifts in flare (eyeballed), bullet setting depth, or crimp.

There’s a cheesy little nylon bushing that the indexing rod rides through. From what I’ve read these bushings are considered consumable. The press even comes with a spare. They’re a few cents each and I ordered a small pile of them just in case plus a spare rubber swipe that sits inside the powder measure.

I’d recommend the turret unless you’re going for high volume and really need a progressive.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast