Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Keep Rem. Gamemaster 760?

For over a couple of decades I had held onto a Remington Gamemaster 760 in .270. Going by the serial number (262050), the rifle was made in the late 50's to early 1960's. The rifle is in very good shape and has a Weaver 4x scope.

My father gave it to me years ago after a client of his came in and gave it to him for partial payment on a bill. The women said it was her husbands and that he used it a few times before he died. I don't hunt and have never taken in out to shoot.

I now want to get back into shooting (handgun), and could use the cash....but I am torn about trying to sell or trade it. Part of me says to hold on to it---that I may want it some day.

Not sure what the value of this would be...so anyone's insight would be helpful.

Thanks for your time.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Keep Rem. Gamemaster 760?

Quote Originally Posted by Adenn1 View Post
    For over a couple of decades I had held onto a Remington Gamemaster 760 in .270. Going by the serial number (262050), the rifle was made in the late 50's to early 1960's. The rifle is in very good shape and has a Weaver 4x scope.

My father gave it to me years ago after a client of his came in and gave it to him for partial payment on a bill. The women said it was her husbands and that he used it a few times before he died. I don't hunt and have never taken in out to shoot.

I now want to get back into shooting (handgun), and could use the cash....but I am torn about trying to sell or trade it. Part of me says to hold on to it---that I may want it some day.

Not sure what the value of this would be...so anyone's insight would be helpful.

Thanks for your time.
    If you even remotely want to get into hunting, I would hold onto it.

It is not the most accurate gun on the market but the pump action is great for follow up shots and the caliber is ideal for deer hunting.

I would only guess at the value to be in the neighborhood of $300 to about $375( i've seen them around that price range at a few gun shows).

I have one in 30.06 that I bought around 74 or 75. With handloads, it shoots into about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2"

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Pike County)

From a view of not pratical, you felt there there was enough connection to your father to mention it in you post. If you have any attachment to the rifle due to it coming from your father, do not get rid of it. For the few $$ you will get you will regret it in the future. It is family history.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I was in the same situation as you. I had a gamemaster 30-06 and wanted a pistol.

Well I ended up trading it and getting an inexpensive pistol. I'm glad I have a handgun, but miss my 760 dearly. I had no sentimental value to my rifle so I believe I made a decent choice, but i would say
    DON'T DO IT!

You'll get next to nothing for the trade because the market is flooded with these guns and everyone want's bolt actions. I honestly think I got like 150 or 200 bucks for mine and KNOW I got screwed on the deal.

Your gun has a history. Keep it and save up for a handgun. If you put up a wanted to buy ad on this board you might get a really good deal.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    From a view of not pratical, you felt there there was enough connection to your father to mention it in you post. If you have any attachment to the rifle due to it coming from your father, do not get rid of it. For the few $$ you will get you will regret it in the future. It is family history.
    You beat me to it! If it a "memory gun"it is priceless.
    I vote the second first

(Centre County)

Keep it, it's a connection to your Dad for one thing. I have the first gun I was given by my Dad, a JC Higgins bolt action 16 ga shotgun. I also own his old shotgun, a JC Higgins pump 12 ga. They don't get shot any more (although they could be) and I will not get rid of them. They will go to my grandson someday (I have 2 daughters).

What you would get for it wouldn't make up for the regrets you will have later if you sell it. I have regretted getting rid of every gun I sold except 2, 1 was to go from a fixed sight Ruger Mark I 22 pistol to an adjustable sight Ruger Mark II 22 and when I sold a cheap Marlin 22 to get a Ruger 10/22.

All that said, if you do want to sell it, advertise here on the forum first, I think you will see it go very quickly.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Butler County)

I'd like to repeat again that you won't get alot of money selling it.

And if you do want a rifle down the line, a bright shiny new synthetic stocked remmington just won't feel nearly the same as that old rifle.

They just don't make them the same anymore.

(Delaware County)

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments...before I posted I had that little voice inside saying..."just keep it." I hope to make a handgun purchase soon, but it's not worth losing the 760 over. I got a gut feeling that I would regret it. Just wanted someone else to say it...and you all did.

Again...thanks for your time. I will put it away and try to get it out to a range some day down the road. I would like to some day pass it down to my son or some other close relative with the distinction of it coming down within the family.

Thanks,
    Adenn1

(Butler County)

Cool dude!

BTW if you want a handgun, do some research as to what you want and put up a wanted tro buy add in the classified section. you just might be surprised.

It has already been said very well. The worth of a gun is far more that the value of it as a "arm". Family heirlooms are valuable because of the significance of its relationship to a family member. My father left us a 06 Woodsmaster. Not a very desirable rifle in most circles. That old woodsmaster kept the family in meat for decades. Dad lugged it around for miles for a good part of his life. He knew it well. When in use it was a part of him. Get rid of it? Not likely.

ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast