Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Holy recoil batman! Its time for a review.

Ok time for a simple review. Not sure how many people are even really interested but I do know the DoubleTap Defense 45 acp had at least some interest. Well I made a trade today and here we are!!

Let me start with saying this is used but not much. Guy put 10 rounds through it and I understand why. But more on that as time goes on.

All comparisons will be done with a S&W 637 airlight. This is my pocket gun. Size and weight comparisons will also be in the 45acp barrels.

First impressions time!!

Fuck this thing is lite. Weight compared to the 637, they are close. The DoubleTap definitely feels lighter but I think it might just be the way the weight is spread out. Comfort while holding it, well the clear winner here is the 637. Its soft rubber grips and a more slopped feel to it. The grip on the 637 is also close to twice as wide. The grip on the DoubleTap is a decent bit longer than the 637. My guess is to make it easy for the 2 extra rounds to fit in the bottom but Im sure they could fit if it was maybe a bit shorter but that would likely make the gun harder to control. More on that in just a second.

As a quick side note. DoubleTap now sells a grip to assist in comfort while shooting this. I have not purchased one but for $25 I think I will.

Back to review. The DoubleTap features a small compartment on the bottom of the grip to hold 2 extra rounds. The rounds fit in a small strip of tough plastic. Unfortunatly the guy I purchased this from carried it in 9mm so he only had the two round 9mm strip and the 6 round 45 acp strip. As I will be adding this as a BUG, I will be purchasing the 2 round strip from DoubleTap in 45 acp. Can be purchase below.

http://doubletapgun.com/onlineshop/i...&products_id=9

10 bucks for a 2 round and the 6 round strip? Yes please!

I had seen some reviews saying that without the strip in the gun, the door rattled. Shaking vigorously revealed a barely audible noise but with normal movement, nothing can be heard.

Barrels! This gun came with the 9mm non ported barrel and the 45acp ported. Barrel changing is simple but not the easiest take. For obvious reasons the pin holding the gun together is TIGHT. While it holds together and is safe is comes with one minor problem, when its time to change barrels you need something strong to push the pin out or pull. But then you run the risk of damaging your gun's finish. They definitely should have included a small rubber rod to push the pin out but a blanket wrapped around needle nose pliers allowed me to push it out with damaging the finish. Other than the pin, changing barrels took but a second. Just pull the tab flipping the barrels up (they are spring loaded), push the pin out and pull straight up. Putting a new barrel in was super easy. Drop the barrel in and line up the pin. It pushes in easy enough.

Now for the fun part, shooting it! I did not have any 45acp on hand so 9mm barrels only today. I hope to update this with 45acp reviews later. I ran twenty 9mm FMJ 115 grain remingtons through the gun. For the 637 I used a variety of ammos including some +p.

The trigger! The trigger on the DoubleTap is crazy smooth. I mean as smooth as the butter Paula Deen uses for lube, smooth and you know that woman knows her butter! The trigger is simple. Just pull it. No cocking, no hammer and no safety. Yes there is no safety on this gun. The gun will keep cycling as long as you pull the trigger. Now the trigger weight is heavy. You dont notice its as heavy because of how smooth it is, heck I prefer it over my 637 in double action but beware it is heavy.

Recoil! Now note this is the 9mm not the 45 but it doesnt matter. FUCK this recoils. Its not a huge push, its a snap but considering how thin this gun is, it hurts. If you are the kind of person that thinks a 637 is too much for you to handle then stay away from this. Personally I find the 637 to be a pussy cat even with +p but thats me.

Now this is were my only real issue is. You will see in the included pic a primer. Now I had heard of 2 people with double ignitions and primer witness marks. I had absolutly no doubles nor did I have ANY witness marks. Not even super thin ones. What I did was was this slightly bulged primer. Now is it so much it scares me? No but I still do not like it. Now it might be because of a dirty chamber. I oil and cleaned the gun real quick but the chambers are still slightly sticky, not sure from what. It will get a much better cleaning before the next range trip and I will report back then and see if I have the same issues. But Im still listing it here.

Price wise this thing is steep. After some more range time this will likely get carried in my weak side back pocket. It dissolves there and I dont even notice its there. More time will tell if this gun will make it, but unless they lower the price I have my doubts it will. Still its a nice gun and I think it will do well for what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Holy recoil batman! Its time for a review.

For me this falls under the category of guns I'd love to try but doubt I would ever buy.

Looks cool though and thanks for the review

BTW, I find the doubling problem a little unnerving, not sure if they have it completely resolved yet.

(Franklin County)

My pleasure! I found them interesting but considering the price brand new I never planned on getting one but when I was offered this I couldnt pass it up. The company annouced they plan on releasing barrels in 40 SW and 410/41lc. At 200 non ported and 279 ported, the price is simply too high for me to buy both but I will likely add the 410 barrel into the mix.

The doubling issue is a scary thought. I believe it to be fixed as the way the hammer works from my understanding was changed. I could be wrong on this though. All I know is I am watching for any witness marks saying the firing pin moved and if I find any at all this little guy is right back to the shop. So far I am in the clear.

I did throw two 9mm rounds in it today and handed it to my GF for her first shoot. First round she looks over at me with a shocked look on her face. She liked it but was very surprised at the recoil.

(Franklin County)

Not sure how many are actually looking at this thread but I shot 2 more of a different 9mm target load and had one with no bulge on the primer and 1 with a very small amount. Not sure if its a change in ammo, the fact that the chamber is almost clear of the coating or what. More testing needed!

(Franklin County)

Fired a few 45s through this today. No doubles, no bulging primers and no real witness marks. The muzzle flashes and flashes from the ports were down right impressive and the recoil was... Ugly, lets go with that. I mean Fienstien eatting out Mooshelle ugly.

Did you do a "tactical reload"?

(Franklin County)

Haha. I still cant believe that named this thing tactical. Fucktard marketing.

Sadly I still havnt picked up the speed strip for the 45s yet.

Gotta have the speed strips for the tactical reload. I laughed my ass off when first saw that mentioned in their marketing vid. Can you get any kind of consistent groups at say 7 yards?

(Franklin County)

I think just about everyone did. I dont know what they were thinking. Groups are decent considering the size, but far from a target gun. Definitely not a 20 yard gun. 7 to 10 yards is about all I would ever want to shoot it. For me this is my "oh fuck get the fuck off me!!" gun. So within a few feet if not point blank, and for that its perfect.

Ill do some actual accuracy testing as soon as I get the rubber grip.

(Philadelphia County)

Looking at this handgun and seeing reviews online, I wonder how they sell in the $400 range. When I first this in a gun magazine I figured it would be around $200 maybe $300 tops. If they drop the price $200 or so bucks these would sell like hot cakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast