Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return to PA

Default Return to PA

I am returning to my native PA (Cambria County) after a 42-year absence; concluding both active-duty military and teaching careers. I hold a current New Mexico Concealed Handgun Lic. (NM CHL). My CHL has handgun classifications and caliber restrictions (due to what I was able to shoot and pass the range qualification tests with). For example: I can carry a revolver up to and including .357 mag. For semiautos it is up to and including 40 S&W. FWIW there is also a derringer class that I chose not to get.

My question is this: Are there any stipulations like class and caliber for a PA LTCF?

If I want to carry a 45 ACP 1911 or 44 Spl revolver here in NM, I have to go back and re-shoot the course and apply for a new license. Just wondering if that's worth doing.

Thanks in advance.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Return to PA

Quote Originally Posted by Aimhigh View Post
    I am returning to my native PA (Cambria County) after a 42-year absence; concluding both active-duty military and teaching careers. I hold a current New Mexico Concealed Handgun Lic. (NM CHL). My CHL has handgun classifications and caliber restrictions (due to what I was able to shoot and pass the range qualification tests with). For example: I can carry a revolver up to and including .357 mag. For semiautos it is up to and including 40 S&W. FWIW there is also a derringer class that I chose not to get.

My question is this: Are there any stipulations like class and caliber for a PA LTCF?

If I want to carry a 45 ACP 1911 or 44 Spl revolver here in NM, I have to go back and re-shoot the course and apply for a new license. Just wondering if that's worth doing.

Thanks in advance.
    A PA LTCF allows you to carry any and all legal handguns and there is no training requirement. And I think any handgun that is legal in the US is legal in PA, we don't have any banned guns.

I qualified that because there is a weird twist with short shotguns that are not NFA.

(Jefferson County)

There are no stupid stipulations like that with the PA LTCF. The only stipulations that the LTCF has is that it only covers "firearms" (handguns under 15" barrels, SBR's, and SBR's) - except in a City of the First Class(Philly) or during a declared state of emergency = which with the 1st class city and DSoE thing, it then also covers a rifle or shotgun too.

The LTCF is only $20. No training is required. Just apply at the sheriff's office of the county that you reside in. You will need the contact info of (2) references that don't live with you or are related to you.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

What county are you moving to? Getting a LTCF could be 15 minutes or 45 days depending on county. Let us know.

If it is a county with a long wait, you might consider applying non-resident and picking it up when you get here. I think that would be OK. You don't have to change it when you get here. I think you have to apply in person now, though.

Thanks! That was quick. Going back to Cambria County. Do the refernces need to be PA residents?

(York County)

Thanks! That was quick. Going back to Cambria County. Do the refernces need to be PA residents?
    I see you're from Roswell. They probably should be earthlings

There is no stipulation in the law that says they must be PA residents. Some counties require the references be residents of that county. This requirement is not in line with the law. Not sure about Cambria.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Allegheny County)

By "back" I assume you started out there. Me too.

Be prepared. Things are different now. LOL

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your new found firearm freedoms!

(Northampton County)

It looks like they issue on the spot:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/cambr...74116799303865

Get your PA driver's license as soon as you get here. Check their webpage to see what you need. Then head straight to the Sheriff and get your PA LTCF.

Keep in mind, once you become a PA resident, out of state licenses are no longer honored due to a recent court ruling.

(Warren County)

Welcome back... but WHY???

I made the mistake of coming back and I'm freezing my arse off.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Welcome back... but WHY???
    Maybe because he has family here and thinks that's important. Maybe it's because the Pennsylvania taxing authorities could care less about pensions. Maybe it's because he likes the changing seasons (which you do get in northern New Mexico, but not so much in Albuquerque).

I made the mistake of coming back and I'm freezing my arse off.
    Did I tell you to live north of Interstate 80? The cold and snow is good for you. It makes you appreciate summer all that much more. Plus, the aggravation keeps the blood circulating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast