Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default How difficult is it to obtain the required CLEO sign off?

I am former PA resident that is now living in New Jersey. I will be moving back to Chester County, PA within the next few months. Once I become a legal resident of PA again, I intend to purchase a Class 3/NFA weapon. From what I've read, obtaining the necessary tax stamp from the Feds requires that one obtain the signature of a CLEO or a District Attorney. How difficult is obtaining that signature? Do you just show up and ask that your local police chief sign the form? Has anyone here ever run into any problems obtaining that signature? How long does the ATF take before issuing the tax stamp? Please feel free to share your experiences in purchasing Class 3 weapons.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: How difficult is it to obtain the required CLEO sign off?

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas View Post
    I am former PA resident that is now living in New Jersey. I will be moving back to Chester County, PA within the next few months. Once I become a legal resident of PA again, I intend to purchase a Class 3/NFA weapon. From what I've read, obtaining the necessary tax stamp from the Feds requires that one obtain the signature of a CLEO or a District Attorney. How difficult is obtaining that signature? Do you just show up and ask that your local police chief sign the form? Has anyone here ever run into any problems obtaining that signature? How long does the ATF take before issuing the tax stamp? Please feel free to share your experiences in purchasing Class 3 weapons.
    You should not have any problems with the Chester County Sheriff's department getting a law enforcement certification based on our conversation with them.
    Last edited by danp; January 25th, 2007 at 09:07 AM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Washington County)

where i'm at, I get the signoff's done at the county sheriff's office. the guy there is happy to sign them, but doesn't like doing the fingerprints. last time, I got the prints done at the state police barracks.

i'd say, main thing is don't be a jerk. if they ask why you want it, be truthful about it. for example, don't feel you have to justify your need for a silencer by making up some story about needing to get rid of raccoons in the attic quietly or something.

also, have all your paperwork in order, so you don't waste their time.

you have a few choices for CLEO - your local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the state police barracks in your area, and i think a judge or DA.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Delaware County)

I was able to get the Chief of Aston Township PD to sign when I went in to get the fingerprint cards filled out. They ran a few background checks, but he actually signed before they all came back. I was surprised that it was that easy, because one of the guys in the office gave me a hard time when I went in to get fingerprinted for the carry permit.

I just had Chester Co Sherriff sign my form 4 back in November. Just call her office and schedule an appointment. The office charges $10 per fingerprinting form (you need 2) and they can take your pics at an additional charge. I went to Sears because it was cheaper then at Walmart and you get 4 pictures.

(Schuylkill County)

You can incorperate and have the corp own the weapon.. never talk to a LEO for signoff again.

TONS of ppl do it cause thier LEO won't sign.

With PA being such a 'shall issue' statue I don't see how LEO could deny you... but it happens. Courts have said that there is no way to force a LEO to sign (even if you are a saint and generally an upstanding citizen). Your LEO says no then try DA or Judge. Flip the coin.

With incorperation all that BS goes away. Lots of pluses with corp route.

(Adams County)

What about an LLC? I was thinking of starting an LLC anyway.

(Delaware County)

Yeah, that'll work too. So would a trust, which you can start with some Quicken software.

im incorporated but not to sure if thats a good idea, if i go out of business that means i have to sell my nfa items or pay another 200 tax and have them transfered again to me, what does a trust or trust fund do?

(Philadelphia County)

If you decide to go through the incorporation route you should create a separate entity solely for the purpose of purchasing NFA weapons and not use a current business. That would be my advice anyway.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking