Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Question Finding a new hobby. Why not gunsmithing?

I need a new hobby, as I am learning as much as I can now about the gun world a friend put the idea of gunsmithing into my head. I decided why not try to get into learning basic mechanics and possibly restoring or at least personalizing my own firearms. Just a basic starting point possibly.

I'm going to search around and see what I can find, but if anyone on here has a good reference site or good books that can help me learn, if you wouldn't mind could you please inform me on what they are and /or what I should get and where to get them.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

I thank you.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Finding a new hobby. Why not gunsmithing?

When I started working on my own guns, I acquired most of my information from YouTube and various internet forums. The rest I learned from taking guns apart to see how the parts interact.

When I put together my first 1911 Gov't, I used "The Colt .45 Automatic, a shop manual" by Jerry Kuhnhausen, as a reference guide, and to learn how everything works and fits together.

Did you have a specific direction you wanted to go (handguns, rifles, shotguns)? There is a multitude to different disciplines in gunsmithing.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tialloydragon View Post
    When I started working on my own guns, I acquired most of my information from YouTube and various internet forums. The rest I learned from taking guns apart to see how the parts interact.

When I put together my first 1911 Gov't, I used "The Colt .45 Automatic, a shop manual" by Jerry Kuhnhausen, as a reference guide, and to learn how everything works and fits together.

Did you have a specific direction you wanted to go (handguns, rifles, shotguns)? There is a multitude to different disciplines in gunsmithing.
    Yea i plan on doing what you did buy watching videos and looking into fourms but id like. to get into handguns and rifles. More like older rifles if i can get my hands on some.

(York County)

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...%3Dgunsmithing

roy dunlap's 1950 classic covers just about all of it. nothing better written or more inclusive since.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

It's been a really fun hobby for me and I've been able to help friends out as well. I'd suggest starting out with books and videos that are specific to whatever guns you already own. That will give you a good knowledge base and the ability to actually try what you read/see on your own gun. From there, a few of the general books I have that may help are:

NRA Updated Gunsmithing Guide
    NRA guide to assembly Rifles and Shotguns
    NRA guide to assembly Pistols and Revolvers
    Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook

These have many diagrams/schematics and parts lists for a lot of common guns that a typical 'smith might encounter, but not be familiar with off the top of their head. They also contain some "tips" that can really help if you've not encountered such a gun or problem before.

For some specific firearms I'm personally into:

The Kuhnhausen books on:

Service Rifles: M1 and M14 Vol 1 and 2
    Carbines: M1C Vol 3
    The Colt Gov .45 (1911) Vol 1 and 2
    The S&W revolver

For the M16/M4/AR15, the owners and assembly books by Kullek and McKey
    For the M14/M1A same as above
    For the 1911 same as above

Some other stuff on my shelfs:

I have the AGA videos for almost all of the different guns I own. Many different Army/MC field manuals that go back to the Springfield 1903 and forward to the M4. The Base Shop Data Manuals for all the Browning machine guns.

At the Brownells web site there are hundreds of exploded views/parts lists available you can download. This is a good way to build up your library and compare the operating systems of different designs. While you're there, open an account; you'll no doubt find plenty of tools and parts you'll end up needing. Best service/support in the industry IMO.

So, get a "general" 'smith book that will cover the basics and not be too specific, then figure out what you like to mess with and get as much data as you can for those items. Once you're comfortable at that level, branch out into anything else that you find interesting. Learn basic metal and wood working, then branch out to welding/machine work if you really want to keep going.

It may be possible to find at some gun shops for purchase "junk" guns that you can use to learn techniques without chancing damage on a functional gun. I've seen items like this on gun broker as well. Enjoy!

Regards, Jim