Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Multiple questions, second post, be kind

Hello,

I live in Martinsburg,WV and regularly travel to Waynesboro,PA where I am a member of a fish&game club. I have a couple questions I need answered in the unlikely event I get pulled over with the guns in the car/truck. I'll try to keep them to simple yes/no questions.

While I also travel through MD I'll limit my questions to just while I'm in PA. Unless someone is familiar with MD laws.

1. I understand all firearms must be unloaded while being transported. Does the ammunition need to be in a seperate compartment from the guns i.e. guns in the back seat, ammo in the trunk?

1a. My truck does not have a trunk, if guns and ammo must be seperate, is guns on the seat and ammo in the glovebox acceptable?

2. If I am pulled over for speeding or go through a sobriety checkpoint, am I under any compulsion to inform the LEOs that I have firearms in the car?

3. Open Carry in PA is, as I understand it, legal for anyone in the stated, even if they are residents of another state, is this correct?

4. If I have a concealed carry permit in good standing issued by a West Virginia Sherriff, is it valid in PA? When I took my NRA pistol class, the instructor made mention of reciprocal agreements between WV and some other states, but I cannot remember if PA was on that list. I do remember that MD was not.

Thanks in advance for your insight. I look forward to reading your responses.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Default Re: Multiple questions, second post, be kind

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    Hello,

I live in Martinsburg,WV and regularly travel to Waynesboro,PA where I am a member of a fish&game club. I have a couple questions I need answered in the unlikely event I get pulled over with the guns in the car/truck. I'll try to keep them to simple yes/no questions.

While I also travel through MD I'll limit my questions to just while I'm in PA. Unless someone is familiar with MD laws.

1. I understand all firearms must be unloaded while being transported. Does the ammunition need to be in a separate compartment from the guns i.e. guns in the back seat, ammo in the trunk?
    It just needs to be separate from the gun, it can be in the same area of the car as the guns, but not in the same case.

1a. My truck does not have a trunk, if guns and ammo must be seperate, is guns on the seat and ammo in the glovebox acceptable?
    See answer above.

2. If I am pulled over for speeding or go through a sobriety checkpoint, am I under any compulsion to inform the LEOs that I have firearms in the car?
    You have no legal obligation to give that info unless asked, there are mixed emotions on to tell them immediately or not. It's up to you.
    3. Open Carry in PA is, as I understand it, legal for anyone in the stated, even if they are residents of another state, is this correct?
    Correct.

4. If I have a concealed carry permit in good standing issued by a West Virginia Sherriff, is it valid in PA? When I took my NRA pistol class, the instructor made mention of reciprocal agreements between WV and some other states, but I cannot remember if PA was on that list. I do remember that MD was not.
    Yes, WV and PA have a reciprocity agreement.

Quite welcome.

MD is a different ball park, check out http://handgunlaw.us for more info on PA and MD.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; May 31st, 2008 at 08:02 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Montgomery County)

I think he pretty much covered it all.

As mentioned, you are not under legal obligation to inform an LEO of your CCW or guns in the car. Some people (especially when nervous) think it is a courtesy, but in fact its unnecessary and can creat a hostile situation. Some cops feel its a veiled threat or that saying this is "suspicious" and reason to detain you further. Just don't do it unless directly asked.

One more head's up- unlke in West Viriginia, you can't drink beer as you drive on country roads in PA. Enjoy your visit!

(Tioga County)

one thing I think wasn't covered very well. you can open carry while on foot but NOT in a car. if you have a permit from WV your good to go in your car. it doesn't cover long guns. To give you a better understanding of separate storage. if you have an AR in one of those "tactical" bag with the pouches on the outside of the bag, storing loaded mags in those outside pouches is ok but you can't put one in with the rifle even if you wrapped it in a rag.

(Northampton County)

Now that you got all that sorted out.....you can come to an OC dinner or group shoot & hang out with some PAFOA members in PA.

All of the above is good. Have a lock on the ammo and a lock on the guns or have them broken down and locked. WV law say no loaded firearms, the firearm must be broken down or locked up (CC OK with license), and the ammo must be locked up. Do not mix ammo and firearms in a locked case.

Be safe.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    1. I understand all firearms must be unloaded while being transported. Does the ammunition need to be in a seperate compartment from the guns i.e. guns in the back seat, ammo in the trunk?
    becuase you have a WV permit, you don't have to worry about this for *handguns*. you can have your handguns loaded in your car because you have a permit.

for *long guns*, though, you do need to keep the ammo separate from the gun as described by other posters above.

(Berks County)

I also agree with the information present here so far. Just a few points I'd like to emphasize:

- As others have stated, while Open Carry is legal in PA, it's only legal on foot; you need to make sure you're in compliance while in the car. Even with a valid LTC, it's a no-no to have a loaded long gun in the car.

- As far as MD is concerned, if you're not stopping in MD but just passing through, then you are covered by federal Peaceable Journey laws, as long as you are in compliance with their requirements as well. If you stop in MD, then you would technically be required to comply with MD law as well.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Thank you all. A few fuzzy areas were cleared up. It seems my common sense precautions were going above and beyond what the law called for. I'd transport the long guns in the passenger compartment, unloaded, bolt out and the ammo in the trunk/bed in an old ammo can.

Handguns got unloaded and a trigger lock put on.

I don't stop in MD, for anything. Since I learned about their lack of reciprocial agreement I've decided they dont need my money. Just a drop in the bucket, but standing up for your principals means something.

reverserboy,

I'n new to the site and new to even the idea of open carry. Attending a meet & greet kind of thing sound like something I'd absolutely like to do, eventually.

WVBob,
    I was unaware WV law said long guns needed to be broken down and locked. If you don't mind could you point me in the direction of that law. I'm trying to keep a collection of links pertaining to firearm laws in WV, MD and PA as well as NFA and GCA info.

Chamberedround,
    Would you happen to have a link to the Peaceable Journey laws, it sounds like something I should be familiar with.

In this case, more than any other, knowledge is truly power.

Again, thanks to all for your responses.
    Last edited by WVneighbor; June 3rd, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Northampton County)

I'n new to the site and new to even the idea of open carry. Attending a meet & greet kind of thing sound like something I'd absolutely like to do, eventually.
    OC is not required. For that matter CC is not either. I don't OC myself but I support those who do.

BTW Be careful in MD. Their gun laws are terrible. I've been told a loaded mag is the same as a loaded gun.