Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Fullsize Carry Option

I'd like to carry an M9 or M&P9 Pro for my carry piece. Do you guys have any suggestions?

(York County)

Default Re: Best Fullsize Carry Option

Uh, suggestions as far as????

Find a good holster in a style and configuration you want, to carry it at a position you want, with a good sturdy belt, and dress around the gun to conceal it. Not sure specifically what you're asking.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey45 View Post
    I'd like to carry an M9 or M&P9 Pro for my carry piece. Do you guys have any suggestions?
    Suggestion: quit messing around and get a 1911.

Are you asking which is better, the M9 or the M&P9 Pro? Or are you asking for the "best" full-size carry gun? Your question is unclear.

My philosophy is to carry the biggest cartridge I can comfortably fire and comfortably conceal. Its probably not the best solution for everyone, but it works for me. In light of that, my suggestion is something in .45 ACP or 10MM, and I lean toward 1911s and Glocks. Full size Glocks in my calibers are the G20, G21, and the new G41 (which is bigger than the G21, and brand new and the verdict is still out on how well the public will like them) or a 1911 in .45 ACP or 10 MM.

Of course the most important thing is that you can handle it comfortably and safely. If its not comfortable you won't wear it as often and eventually you will stop altogether, or have to buy a different one. You have to make these decisions yourself.

If you are just asking about the differences between M9 and M&P 9 Pro, then I have no opinion. Never fired either of them.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Suggestion: quit messing around and get a 1911.
    Wish i could send you a rep for this one Sarge but i don't have the foggiest on how to do that.

There is something about the 1911 that sits oh so snugly on my hip in an iwb holster at the 4 O Clock position...

(Bucks County)

Smokey,
    Since you have already decided on the firearm, i will stick to my suggestions on carrying rather than your choice of the firearm.

A full size pistol (at least for me) restricts where i get to carry the sidearm in an IWB holster. In my case, if the barrel length exceeds the 4" mark (The M&P has a 4.25" barrel), appendix carry is simply out of the question - too much poking and prodding. If you are a huge proponent of appendix carry, then i would recommend trying it out first before dropping 600 bucks on the firearm.

If you are wearing a shoulder rig, you should be able to carry it with relative ease. If you are using an IWB holster, then please make sure you get a good brand holster and can draw and aim with minimal effort.

Just my $0.02...

I'm sorry that question was vague. I am referring to holster make, and location. I am a fairly tall guy, about 6'2" and close to 260 lbs, so I have some space lol. But just having things in my pockets gets to be a hassle some times, especially in the summer when things get sweaty.

I didn't know if you guys had any input on a particular holster that works best for comfort given the contradicting requirements. If there were a 1911 in the same price range as a m&p trust me, that would be the only choice. But I'm picky about my 45's, don't trust any bargin makes too much.

(Monroe County)

Like a lot of guys I have tried all sorts of carry options, always end up going back to a S&W 642 in a pocket holster. I am so used to it that if its not there I feel lost.

(Bucks County)

I have a wild Bill's Concealment holster for my M&P 40 C. I carry lefty at 8-9:00. It looks like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(York County)

When I conceal, I carry a S&W M&P Shield in .40. I think my holster is an Uncle Mike's, ambi IWB with a pretty good metal belt clip (I'm lefty, so I usually look for ambi holsters). With pants one size too big, it fits perfectly. Very comfortable. Although I've heard from a very famous gun guy, that your concealment gun shouldn't be comfortable, it should be comforting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast