Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Camping and target shooting in the woods

I'm looking for any suggestions on places I can go camping with some family members, bring our firearms (pistol, rifle, shotgun), and are allowed to target shoot while there. In-PA is preferred, but I'll consider other states if needed.

The only thing I have found so far is National Forests such as Allegheny National Forest (but have heard it's getting pretty torn up due to the fracking). Are there any other locations where this is possible? Considering how rather pro-gun we are in PA, it seems shooting outside of a range is pretty restricted. I know there are the state-run target ranges in some state forests, but I was hoping for more of the "in the woods" type experience (yes, I have read the rules for the National Forests about no shooting trees, etc.).

I'm not a hunter, so my knowledge on the different types of public land out there is limited. Any help is appreciated.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Camping and target shooting in the woods

No shooting up National Forests or state land except in SGL ranges which you need a permit or hunting license. The only thing I know of uphere by me is I believe is Paradise Valley shooting range. You can camp at some of the campsites and drive there. I can't offer anything more.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    No shooting up National Forests
    Do you have a link to the law for that? Forest Service says it's fine, and I can't find anything yet in the PA State laws that prohibit it. Only in PA State Parks/Forests.

(Berks County)

That sounds like a fun way to spend some time.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by crouthamela View Post
    Do you have a link to the law for that? Forest Service says it's fine, and I can't find anything yet in the PA State laws that prohibit it. Only in PA State Parks/Forests.
    Target shooting in the Allegheny National Forest is good to go. Here's a link to the site explaining rules and regs of the ANF-

http://thenationalforests.com/the-na...ing-rules.html

To the OP-
    There are a number of different types of public land in PA. State Forests, National Forest, State Game Lands, and State Parks. The rules regarding camping and firearms are not the same for any of them, the short answer is that the only place you can camp and target shoot is in the ANF (Allegheny National Forest) up in the northwestern part of the state. Buy a map and be mindful, there are state lands bordering the ANF in many places, and you want to make sure you're doing it right to avoid a costly and annoying fine.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger P229 View Post
    Target shooting in the Allegheny National Forest is good to go. Here's a link to the site explaining rules and regs of the ANF-

http://thenationalforests.com/the-na...ing-rules.html

To the OP-
    There are a number of different types of public land in PA. State Forests, National Forest, State Game Lands, and State Parks. The rules regarding camping and firearms are not the same for any of them, the short answer is that the only place you can camp and target shoot is in the ANF (Allegheny National Forest) up in the northwestern part of the state. Buy a map and be mindful, there are state lands bordering the ANF in many places, and you want to make sure you're doing it right to avoid a costly and annoying fine.
    Ok thanks, thought so but wanted to just make sure there wasn't some additional PA law that applied that I hadn't found yet.

Outside of PA, are there any forests/public lands that are non-National Forest where you can do this? Or is it pretty much just National Forests.

Ok thanks, thought so but wanted to just make sure there wasn't some additional PA law that applied that I hadn't found yet.

Outside of PA, are there any forests/public lands that are non-National Forest where you can do this? Or is it pretty much just National Forests.
    There are closer national forests to you other than Allegany.

Yes, public land outside of pa where shooting is allowed is usually called State trust land. Most of these state trusts lands are west of the Mississippi.

Additional Federal lands include BLM and Bureau of Reclamation. Also, there are National Parks, Monuments, Corp of Engineers, and US fish and Wildlife but I would check websites as to the shooting legality.

(Warren County)

The only thing I have found so far is National Forests such as Allegheny National Forest (but have heard it's getting pretty torn up due to the fracking).

Snip

Really? Where didja hear that?

Gas n Oil is pretty big, but the surface impact of fracking is pretty negligible. It's not like a strip mine.

ANF covers a lotta turf, looked ok last time I drove past it.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Montgomery County)

Put politics aside, do you really want to hike somewhere where people are "target" shooting with rifles that potentially have a range in miles? Or may be you are banking on twigs to deflect the bullets.

(Lackawanna County)

I shoot in the woods all the time. I guarantee there isnt anyone for 2 miles in any direction. There are some mighty big woods out there and I'm willing to bet a high majority of people aren't out bushwhacking. Its also just about impossible to shoot "miles" in any direction with the forest density.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast