Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

billy870m9,

You're entitled to your opinion, and I agree that personally I wouldn't open carry either. However, open carry should be allowed for those who wish. There ARE reasons for it, like convenience, openly declaring your intentions, and to publicly express support of the 2nd Amendment.

As for your example, I agree that a gun-owner could be jumped. But anyone who is open carrying that doesn't have any situational awareness almost deserves it. Also, if that gun owner chooses to open carry, then that person is responsible for keeping the gun safe, and better be ready to pay the price for what might happen if it winds up in someone else's hands. It's all about responsibility. Freedoms shouldn't be taken away from all of us for the sake of those not willing to stand up and be responsible for their actions, or lack thereof.

There was a time when people carrying guns were not considered a threat in any way. Today, however, law-abiding citizens who exercise their right to carry (open or concealed) are instantly categorized as troublemakers simply becuase they choose to carry a gun.

This mentality, this vilification of an implement, happens only with guns. It is spurred mostly by the media and anti-gun politicians, and is the catalyst for all anti-gun legislation. This mentality is something 2nd Amendment defenders fight against every day.

We all need to work as hard as we can to change this mentality in society. If we don't, we'll continue to see a slow eradication of our 2A rights.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; May 28th, 2006 at 08:37 AM.

(Chester County)

chamberedround I was going to comment on billy870m9, post. But you did it very well. I agree with you. VA is a big open carry state not a hassel. Go to the mid west and they open carry. Like I said before I dont open carry but I would like to see it done more. But I prefer ccw.

(Berks County)

hey its just my personal opinion....law abiding or not where i live you see someone other than a leo or sec guard, your gonna get very unwanted attention.....

(Montgomery County)

The only reason I would like to see open carry is in case of accidental exposure. If the wind were to blow open the cover garment I would not want to be accused of brandishing by someone out to cause trouble.

I am sure that most of us at one time or another each of us bent over or reached up for something on a high shelf in a store and our carry piece came into view. One cop with an attitude against people with guns or some liberal nut using it as an excuse to cause trouble.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billy870m9
    hey its just my personal opinion....law abiding or not where i live you see someone other than a leo or sec guard, your gonna get very unwanted attention.....
    Everyone here is entitled to their opinion, and I understand and respect your point of view. It just stinks that the sheeple can't differentiate between law-abiding citizens and criminals. Just becuase public opinion frowns upon something doesn't make it illegal. If that were the case, none of us would have to pay income taxes.

(Berks County)

i wish more of the public would know that the people who do carry legally conceild weapons are the most law abiding of them all...but they dont....im sick of the criminals having my "freedoms" than we do.....i hate goin out of state because of all the hasle of carrying my pistol....criminals dont care about state lines but WE have to.....i hope to god someone with power makes it so we can carry all over the U.S. the normal person on the street cant deal with seeing a gun under a shirt, they just right away think your up to no good, not knowing personally if that same person was in a life dangering situation i would help them.....the anti gun nuts think itll be like the wild west but in states that you cant carry or very limited, the crime rate is sky high.........

im sorry to get off topic but you should be able to defend your and your family lives in every state, not just until you cross a state line....

open carry or conceild, carry a weapon to defend the people you love

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra
    The only reason I would like to see open carry is in case of accidental exposure. If the wind were to blow open the cover garment I would not want to be accused of brandishing by someone out to cause trouble.
    I agree it would get "normies"/sheeple comfortable with the idea. Fortunately that also is the reason it is a LTCF rather than a CCW. Its one more "level" of legal standing.
    I also think that open carry would be an excellent anti-terror weapon...peace through strength!

One thing I'd also favor is the carrying of what looks like a badge with your gun. If the average person including myself sees a badge with a gun I'd be less alarmed. I understand that LEO's dont like citizens to carry anything that looks like a badge since they are proud of their job and dont want LTCF to be mistaken as LEOs or think we can act/have powers like LEOs. However, since all of us with LTCF are law abiding citizens I dont see any problem with it....we know the law and wouldnt abuse it! As a result if an non gun toting citizen saw our LTCF badge than they are less likely to harrass police with "man with gun calls", etc.

CCW certainly does have its advantages as well. Most of our friends didnt even know wife and I carry. One friend we see ALOT was nervous about going into what he considered a bad part of Allentown. We were heading there after buying a new handgun. He was nervous not only about the neighborhood but leaving the gun we just purchased in the car. We were like "we'll just carry it"! He was like " oh man.. but cant you get in trouble without a CCW?" We were like "ummm..." as I stealthily opened my shirt so he could see the Full size Berretta an my IWB and he was like "oMG...how long? I didnt even notice!" When the wife took his hand and put it over her kel-tec in her pocket I thought his eyes were gonna pop "YOU TOO"?!?!
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Chester County)

If the wind blows open your shirt and someone sees your piece it is not brandishing. Why because open carry is not illegal. You do not need a LTCF for open carry. You need a LTCF for concealed carry. If you pull your weapon out and point it at someone thats a different story. This is one reason I would like to see open carry. A 5 inch 1911 is more comfortable in a pancake holster in the open.

(Lackawanna County)

I've wondered about the open carry issue myself. I am not interested in open carry.....I just wanted to know how my local LEO's would tolerate it.

A couple of years back, I called the Lackawanna County Sherriff and posed the question to him. He began his reply with a very audible sigh. I interpreted it as either "I get asked this allllllll the time!" or "I HATE answering this question". When all was said and done, it was clear that the latter was the right assumption.

The Sherriff said that technically, it is legal for PA citizens to carry open. BUT, the sentiment of the LEO community is that if you wanna carry, carry discreetly. He confirmed that North East PA ( 'specially Lacka. Luzerne county ) has a LARGE elderly population - and they get freaked out by the littlest things. He said that all it takes is one complaint/commotion/whatever over your open carry, and a strict LEO may want to pursue a disturbing the peace issue ( or whatever ) that will lead to CCW permit revocation.
    The Sherriff basically said carry whenever you want, but do it discreetly cuz people tend to get reeeal tense reeaaal fast. LEO's don't like anything tense.

BTW – When I applied for my permit in Lackawanna County. It took all of 15mins! They didn’t even contact my three references! I was in and out with the picture ID in 15 mins! That’s great!

My $.02

Gary in Pennsylvania

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Pennsylvania
    I just wanted to know how my local LEO's would tolerate it.
    they don't have any choice but to tolerate it...LEOs cannot make up their own laws. some might try to "not tolerate it", but, assuming you want to pursue it, that would be trouble for that LEO and good for your bank account.

He said that all it takes is one complaint/commotion/whatever over your open carry, and a strict LEO may want to pursue a disturbing the peace issue ( or whatever ) that will lead to CCW permit revocation.
    he is full of crap. if he ever tries to do this to you, sue the pants off of both him and his department. you cannot be legally arrested for distrubing the peace...or anything else...for (legally) open carrying in PA (with the exception of in philly if you do not have an LTCF).

LEOs have to abide by the law just like everyone else.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast