Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Shooting in the backyard

My aunt has a good chunk of property beside ours that has plenyty of room to shoot, and has a nice hill as a backdrop. A few months ago, a couple of buddies came over and we were about an hour into our session when police from two departments showed up and shut down the operation, stating that it is a ordinance that you may not discharge a firearm in Center Twp. Wanting to research this further, I cannot find any ordinances online, and no one is picking up at the township offices. Does anyone in the area have any idea where I can find them?
    Last edited by AHelm3; February 17th, 2014 at 03:34 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Shooting in the backyard

You could walk into the police office and ask for a reference. I think "Put up or shut up" would be an interesting approach if you do not get satisfaction.

(Beaver County)

I'd assume all ordinance laws would be held at the courthouse as well?

http://www.centertownship.net/index_files/Page1074.htm

I found this but saw nothing addressing your question other than noise levels. So, if you approach them to seek what their legal standing might be you can expect "noise" to be the answer. Get a hold of a decibel meter and figure out what the level is at the closest property boundry to your bench. Of course, you might not want to fire a gun to do this. Can you get something with a horn out there?

I fire off the AR in my backyard and the neighbors want to know .223 or 5.56. The neighbors are about a 1/4 mile away through the trees. Often they respond with "return" fire.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Pike County)

There is always the " we are Woodchuck hunting".. different set of guidelines no?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post

I found this but saw nothing addressing your question other than noise levels. So, if you approach them to seek what their legal standing might be you can expect "noise" to be the answer. Get a hold of a decibel meter and figure out what the level is at the closest property boundry to your bench. Of course, you might not want to fire a gun to do this. Can you get something with a horn out there?

I fire off the AR in my backyard and the neighbors want to know .223 or 5.56. The neighbors are about a 1/4 mile away through the trees. Often they respond with "return" fire.
    Wrong Center Township. That's the one in Butler.
    Obligatory IANAL!

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    (By the power of truth, I while living have conquered the universe)

Noise ordinances shut down a couple of backyard ranges in my area over the years...Though I think some of the guys that were shut down may have been pushing their luck by shooting multiple times a week for hours on end in a residential/rural area.

Problem N.O.'s is that they are often used to shut down activities like shooting or ATV riding when neighbors complain, but plenty of every day items such ash lawn mowers, trimmers, etc. can meet or exceed the decibel ratings these ordinances have.

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Noise ordinances shut down a couple of backyard ranges in my area over the years...Though I think some of the guys that were shut down may have been pushing their luck by shooting multiple times a week for hours on end in a residential/rural area.

Problem N.O.'s is that they are often used to shut down activities like shooting or ATV riding when neighbors complain, but plenty of every day items such ash lawn mowers, trimmers, etc. can meet or exceed the decibel ratings these ordinances have.
    At the same time, those NOs are in place because some people don't know when to draw the line. Maintainance equipment is necessary and expected, of course it also meeds to be used at reasonable times of the day. Here we have quads all the time, and snowmobiles all winter. It's part of what people do here. But there is one guy who has a racing quad that was hauling ass around private property, revving the damn thing for the niose factor and riding in an unsafe manner for those around him. Me, I went and talked to him. He agreed to calm it down but under the understanding next time I'd feel inclined to call the cops. As I was leaving the cops pulled in. Someone else was more inclined than I was. I can well imagine that if I were firing for extended periods on a regular basis someone might take issue with it.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

At the same time, those NOs are in place because some people don't know when to draw the line. Maintainance equipment is necessary and expected, of course it also meeds to be used at reasonable times of the day. Here we have quads all the time, and snowmobiles all winter. It's part of what people do here. But there is one guy who has a racing quad that was hauling ass around private property, revving the damn thing for the niose factor and riding in an unsafe manner for those around him. Me, I went and talked to him. He agreed to calm it down but under the understanding next time I'd feel inclined to call the cops. As I was leaving the cops pulled in. Someone else was more inclined than I was. I can well imagine that if I were firing for extended periods on a regular basis someone might take issue with it.
    Yup....thats why I limit my backyard shooting to once, maybe twice a week for an hour at a time tops...and its not every week at that.

I'm living in the house I grew up in, and up until the mid-80's or so you could shoot literally all you wanted to and no one cared. Most of the people in the area were farmers, hunters, trappers etc...Sometime in the later 80's a lot of the farmland got developed, and the new tenants were transplants from N.Y./N.J.

I have one neighbor about 100 yards away that does complain...pretty much every time I go out and start firing off 22's I'll here a faint "stop shooting" through my electronic earmuffs....that's when bring out the 1911 and fire off a couple of dozen rounds and call it a day.