Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default It is here! (rock river varmint)

It's here!

(clicky for biggy pix)

SO AWESOME!

The two parts fit together awesomely, no wiggle at all, but didn't need a mallet to fit them together. The trigger cannot be 4lb, or I don't know what 4lb is like. Damn that is light.

And that is a 20 round mag (I checked)... and I do have 75 grain match ammo for it already... and some 55grain nato stuff too for blasting. I also have two 30 round pmags, ready to go, but they're loaded, so they're not getting stuffed in the rifle for pics.

(Centre County)

Default Re: It is here! (rock river varmint)

nice rifle! i want one!

(Chester County)

by the way, I ordered this the week before the SHOT show (that was feb 2-5) and it just came in now... in case you are planning a purchase... plan ahead.

nice, they are well worth the wait.

(Lawrence County)

From my experience, they take a few rounds to season in and start to group tight.

I wet patch then dry patch the barrel after every round for the first ten shots. Then after every rounds for the next 50........ Usually, I'm zeroing the glass during that anyhow.

Then start punching bug holes.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    From my experience, they take a few rounds to season in and start to group tight.

I wet patch then dry patch the barrel after every round for the first ten shots. Then after every rounds for the next 50........ Usually, I'm zeroing the glass during that anyhow.

Then start punching bug holes.
    I have 150 rounds of M193 to start off with, then 60 rounds of the PPU 72 grain stuff... should make for a nice starting session or two... Just want to make sure it shoots both well before I place an order for 1000's of any kind of ammo. (Ok, who am I kidding? I'll be lucky if I can get 1000 of any kind of match quality ammo).

Edit: in case anyone was wondering, the scope is a nikon buckmaster 6-18x40... should be a nice match for the rifle. Now I need to find a 600 yard range in SE PA for me to "extend my range" a bit.
    Last edited by MTechnik; May 30th, 2008 at 09:41 AM.

SWEEET Rifle!

I wish I could get a case like that for my home build.

(Allegheny County)

Sweet looking rifle man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    SWEEET Rifle!

I wish I could get a case like that for my home build.

Doesn't RRA offer them for sale on their website?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=364

Quote Originally Posted by stevieb92 View Post
    Sweet looking rifle man!!!

Doesn't RRA offer them for sale on their website?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=364
    Neat...I wonder if it would accomodate my ACE stock and YHM float tube.

(Chester County)

So I finally made it out to the range this past Tuesday.

Wow, it is one helluva fun rifle.

First, I realize I need a rifle case, the scope doesn't fit on the rifle in the blue case. I have one on order from cheaper than dirt - I'm calling it a fathers day gift to myself. The scope will need some fine tuning each time I put it on until then. We'll see in future sessions how it holds zero.

I pulled the bolt out and put a few drops of CLP on it, got everything rubbing together smoothly, then loaded up the m193 ppu I got from Aim Surplus to get her zeroed in. Wallpapered a nice section on the 100 yard range with a dozen pieces of regular 8-1/2x11 paper, fired a shot aimed at the middle and... wow, it was on paper. Got lucky with the scope, mount, and rifle being lined up just enough... over the next dozen shots I got the scope close to zero. I cleared out a 30-round pmag of M193, giggling like a kid. Gave a few test shots to my friend that followed and he fell in love with the first pull of the two-stage trigger.

Next, I loaded up the PPU match ammo... that was when I figured out shooting with just the front resting on a can with a beanbag isn't getting me MOA groups. I'm still a noob... I get two or three gorgeous shots, then I pull the next 2. I ordered that harris swivel bipod, so that should help stabilize the front.

Next I blasted another 30 round mag of the m193, my friend blasted out a mag of m193, and it was time to close up for the night.

I love the rifle, it shot brilliantly. The trigger is so smooth - the initial load feels lighter than 3lb, then the 2nd stage breaks so nicely. The heavy barrel keeps that rifle incredibly steady, even zoomed in at 18x I had nice target reacquisition.

Lessons learned:

Heat shimmer off of a barrel.. wow, a couple of times it was bad.
    I now see the challenge of high magnification - every slightest hint of a motion really shows.
    I need to work on my breathing and trigger control.
    I need lots and lots and lots and lots of ammo.

But WOW was it fun! I love my 2nd amendment friendly state. cooking off 30 rounds of nato spec ammo with another mag sitting right next to it ready to go is quite awesome.

oh, while I was there I broke out the marlin lever 22 and squeezed off a dozen rounds - it is still such a joy.

my friend was having issues with his 22-250... he has a bsa scope that I think creeps on him, and he's popping primers (see other thread)... he mentioned wanting to sell his rifle and get an AR... then cursing that his wife is about to buy all new doors. hahahaha.

(Lycan - I told you I'd let you know how that ammo is... next time I go I'll bring my caldwell lead sled (still need to get some lead for it) and line the shots up to get some 'best case' groups from that ammo.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast