Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Chester County)

Default Re: NCCSC membership

I've heard the club is now over 900 families and there are serious management problems. I'm also of the understanding from another thread that the board is not following the bylaws and is running roughshod (intimidation) over the members who dissent at meetings. I've also read that there are protected members (instructors) running commercial businesses out of the club at the expense of the membership. From what I've read I would avoid this club.
    Last edited by GTO454; September 6th, 2014 at 10:12 PM.

Somewhere around Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GTO454 View Post
    I've heard the club is now over 900 families and there are serious management problems. I'm also of the understanding from another thread that the board is not following the bylaws and is running roughshod (intimidation) over the members who dissent at meetings. I've also read that there are protected members (instructors) running commercial businesses out of the club at the expense of the membership. From what I've read I would avoid this club.
    Here's to hoping it all blows over. It's a great place to shoot, and hopefully it remains that way. The drama is pretty embarrassing.

(Chester County)

If you read what GTO says in his post it states "I heard" Pretty much the definition of hearsay. The member ship is around 700 and the club runs like a Swiss watch other than the splinter group trying to take over. It is a shame politics had to be brought to the club by one disgruntled person. Obviously you can tell the couple of posters that are trying to embarrass a great group of people. Can you say Ulterior motive?

(Montgomery County)

I was at the range Sat. The new gate worked nice. It was a little more crowded than usual. There were two of us on the 50yd range. The place is well maintained and every time I went there everyone was very nice.

There are a few classes that run out of the club, but as long as you check the calendar, there isn't a problem. Also, I wanted to join a club with multiple training options, which NCCSC offers.

Most importantly, everyone has always been very nice and friendly.
    Drew

(Northampton County)

What kind of "commercial" businesses are being run at the expense of the membership? Please, be specific. This sentiment sounds harmonious with emotionally inflammatory words like "assault weapon" and "weapons of war" and "high capacity magazines".

From where I stand "protected members" refers to those who contribute to the club by volunteering time to public outreach events relating to the ethical and safe handling of firearms. Or is someone setting up an Avon or Amway business on the club property (things that don't relate to firearms safety and proficiency)?

Please elaborate, step out of the shadows and be specific. Better yet please call me at 484 548 0055 to discuss. We can have a polite and meaningful conversation on how to contribute to the shooting sports and the safeguarding of individual freedoms. We may even touch on free markets and capitalism.

/Jason
    I may be out of the Marine Corps but the Marine Corps is in me for life.

(Chester County)

Mr. GTO has a total of 7 posts in these forums, most of which are in negative reference to the club, one set in a thread unrelated to the club and one in a thread that basically repeated what he already said in the "unrelated" thread, but in a thread that was 4 months old.

Sounds like a troll to me.

I have said before, I am a member if the club, but haven't been involved with the recent drama. I am withholding judgment until I have a better understanding of what's going on.
    Ignorance is bliss!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflag View Post
    Mr. GTO has a total of 7 posts in these forums, most of which are in negative reference to the club, one set in a thread unrelated to the club and one in a thread that basically repeated what he already said in the "unrelated" thread, but in a thread that was 4 months old.

Sounds like a troll to me.

I have said before, I am a member if the club, but haven't been involved with the recent drama. I am withholding judgment until I have a better understanding of what's going on.
    No recent drama for me either. I focus on shooting and training.

I am a member of four clubs and enjoy participating in club activities for each. No drama for me.
    I may be out of the Marine Corps but the Marine Corps is in me for life.

(Berks County)

Ladies and Gentlemen

Last night we held another of our outdoor trap shoots. We managed to get eight full flights in and everyone had a good time. There were a few new members, a few folks looking at the club and the usual folks pitching in and helping out. We even had a new volunteer helping throw the clays...how he did is still being debated...

One of the club members even had "glow in the dark" clays. We ran out of time but that looks like a winner for next week. There were also a few members of the board available to answer questions asked by the membership. A very relaxed and enjoyable evening.

My only complaint, if you can call it that, was there was no cheese for the burgers...lol! It's just un-American not to have cheese for burgers!

(Chester County)

GTO... Read the forum rules!

Cross-Posting (5 points, Expires in 1 month)
    We ask that no one post the same thread, topic, classified ad, etc. in multiple locations on the site, as all that does is create clutter, confusion, and divergent discussions on the same topic. In the past this was considered a spam infraction, but in the interests of clarification we've decided to create a separate infraction for this. Note that while this is only a 5 point infraction, the more you cross-post a topic, the more infractions you will receive. For example, if you post a topic twice, you will receive one infraction for the duplicate; if you post a topic 5 times, you will receive 4 infractions. If you feel it absolutely necessary or important to cross-post for some reason, please contact the staff in advance of posting, so that the request can be reviewed.

Hello interested parties,

The “Advisory” below is an addendum to my original post, which was posted on the Elverson Rod and Gun Club thread, post #4. This may be construed as schooling for “attacking the messenger”.

For those looking for ranges, I missed Tri-Town Gun Club in Honeybrook and Morgantown Gun Club on Hwy 10 south of Hwy 23.

It was not my intention to wade into the NCCSC fracas. However, I have found these threads to be a useful case study for my students.

In response to Peter’s comment on hearsay post #10 Elverson Rod and Gun Club thread, when information is obtained from a known trusted source, it is not typically considered hearsay. Otherwise, reason dictates, most information on the news would be considered hearsay.

Advisory:
    I believe this posting is only to advise citizens to avoid Northern Chester County Sportsman’s Club. It appears from reading threads about NCCSC that it’s currently, very poorly managed. The club President and remaining board seem to have what appears to be a problem. Posted on NCCSC thread #66 now states that the club President and board have started a lawsuit against their own club Membership Secretary. Does this sound like a well managed club, or one people should avoid?

Reading these threads indicate to this reader, a serious conflict of interest by the instructors. If indeed, the instructors are being paid for classes, there is a violation of federal tax law for non-profits. Instead of supporting the end of instruction to maintain tax-exempt status, the club President and board are continuing support of the instructors at the expense of the membership. This apparent symbiotic relationship allows instructors to continue their for-profit money making. It appears that the instructors also hold appointed positions at the club, such as “sergeant at arms”, “range safety officer(s)” or “chief range safety officer” which clearly indicates to me, a conflict of interest. Further still, it appears that these instructors are intimidating members who dissent at meetings or elsewhere.

I believe that the club President as well as remaining board members and instructors are aware of this for-profit prohibition, but are willfully choosing to continue on their current path citing it is good for the membership. The Club’s tax exempt status definitely appears to be at risk due to the above mentioned factors, which are in contradiction to non-profit Federal Law. This choice of inaction by the club President and remaining board may result in very large taxes, interest, and penalties.

With a few strokes of a keyboard, you can find the link to tax-exempt restrictions regarding 501 (c) (7) organizations. I believe this “Advisory” should continue in effect until such time as the club President, remaining board members, appointed board members, trustees etc. are removed from office and for profit instruction is ended. My research indicates an election in November. I do not rely on hearsay, I use research and deductive reasoning.
    Ignorance is bliss!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123