Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Issue

(Berks County)

Default Ruger Issue

I recently purchased a new LCR and desired the boot grip that I had with an earlier model I ended up selling. The boot grip was a hassle to find, but I did find it on the Ruger website. I purchased it there - over paid, and bowed to their high shipping.

Upon receiving my package I noticed it did not contain a screw, just the new grip. Everything I've read online indicated a smaller screw would be part of the package. I installed the new grip regardless, and whada know, the stock screw is way to long for the new grip. Back on goes the standard grip.

I call Ruger and speak to customer service, the lady I'm speaking with has no idea what I'm talking about but thinks that parts/service department can help. I ask to be transferred. I'm transferred wait on hold for 10 minutes, and then am disconnected.

I send an email to Ruger who promises 3 day turn around via email due to high volume. No response, I follow up, no response, I follow up again, no response. It's now been 14 days since my first email and first call.

I call Ruger again today and ask to speak with someone in the service department, I'm transferred, wait on hold for about 10 minutes and am disconnected again.

All this for a dang screw.

Questions:
    1) Does anyone have the boot grip for the LCR and would be kind enough to check their screw out, shoot me the size, so I can run to the store and try to find a close match? I can't find any details on it's size online.

2) Does anyone have contact information for the service dept. at Ruger that actually works?

Frustrated ...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger Issue

I've never had anything but good dealings with Ruger.

I had the LC9 that needed a new slide due the non chaffered firing pin hole, got a new slide in 3 or 4 days with a return evelope for the old one.

603-865-2442 is the number for all revolvers...still sounds crazy that you've gotten the service you have. They are normally known for spot on customer service.

Only thing I can think of is 603-865-2442 is in NH, which may or may not have been affected by this storm, so staffing may be an issue currently. Who knows, but best of luck.
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R

(Berks County)

thank you for the numbers gave that number a call they are closed until Tuesday guess I'll try again then unless someone can tell me what size screw I need

(Bucks County)

Unfortunately I can not; I'd like an LCR in .357, but funds are a bit short for the foreseeable future...but someday.
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R

(Westmoreland County)

It sucks that Ruger is giving you the runaround.

In the mean time, why not locate a store near you that specializes in fasteners. Figure out what length you need. Take the screw you have along with the grip with you, they may help you figure out the size or find a nut that fits and you'll know the size. It'll probably cost you less than a buck unless you have to buy a whole package of them.

(Erie County)

i searched yahoo for lcr boot grip screw size and came across this http://rugerforum.net/handgun-access...rew-sizes.html

it says:

I've bought extra screws for my LCR grips, and thought it would be handy to post sizes for everyone.

Tamer grip; 8-32 X 1/2 machine head screw

Boot grip: 8-32 X 1/4 oval head screw

Sometimes hard to get a 1/4 inch length screw at any hardware store, but a fastener supply should have it. At least these are standard hardware store threads.

On the Tamer, the screw bears on a metal washer in the grip. The threaded hole in the LCR grip frame is stainless steel. So, I bought stainless screws for my Tamer to replace the blued screw furnished.

On the Boot Grip, the screw bears against a tapered hole in the grip polymer. To save wear on that, I bought nylon screws. Avoided the length problem, too. I just bought them in 1/2 inch, and cut 1/4 off.

Hope this helps you out.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the help everyone. Will hit the hardware store this weekend.

(Chester County)

I think Ruger may just be overwhelmed by the shear volume. No excuse though. They should man up, and hire more CS people if necessary. Your experience is unacceptable.

(Allegheny County)

Another great source for small screws is a hobby shop, primarily one that sells radio controlled aircraft and cars. They offer all manner of small fasteners in a variety of sizes. They are also a good source for small applicators like q-tips and disposable brushes that come in handy for cleaning and lubing firearms.

Worst case, a good hardware store will sell stainless 8/32, very likely longer than you need, buy 2 or 3 and cut them down to size. Carefully dress the end with a file and chase the threads so they are square and true. For this use case, I would stay away from the zinc coated screws the big box stores carry.

(Lawrence County)

First place I'd think to go is my local gunsmith. He's been in the business for ever and has bins full of small screws like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast