Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Philadelphia County)

Default Question about purchasing.

My buddy wants to order a shotgun and he lives in jersey. He is legally purchasing the shotgun online and wants to ship it to my house. Everything will be in his name he is just using my address to ship the shotgun to so then he can pick it up. Is this all legal and ok? Can you ship long rifles and shotguns in the mail in PA? Thanks for the help.
    If you outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Question about purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftheavybrah View Post
    My buddy wants to order a shotgun and he lives in jersey. He is legally purchasing the shotgun online and wants to ship it to my house. Everything will be in his name he is just using my address to ship the shotgun to so then he can pick it up. Is this all legal and ok? Can you ship long rifles and shotguns in the mail in PA? Thanks for the help.
    INAL, but no this does not sound legal at all.....if he orders the shotgun being a NJ resident, the shotgun must be bought and trasnfered through an FFL...

he is trying to circumvent the law using you as the "straw man" essentially at least that is how i intepert it with the information given

I think you're confusing PA law with NJ law...tread carefully here
    Last edited by Svickstc; February 12th, 2014 at 11:57 AM.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

I question the legallity of having a shotgun shipped directly to you. Only intrastate transfers may be done like that.

If the seller is in Pennsylvania or any state other than NJ and your friend is a NJ resident then an FFL has to be involved in the transfer process.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks guys. I knew it sounded bad. He said it is completely legal. Well actually he has a alabama address he owns a house there as well but is currently in jersey. I dont know if that changes anything. So i guess its going from alabama to PA. But reguardless it needs to go through FFL right?

(Bucks County)

Thanks guys. I knew it sounded bad. He said it is completely legal. Well actually he has a alabama address he owns a house there as well but is currently in jersey. I dont know if that changes anything. So i guess its going from alabama to PA. But reguardless it needs to go through FFL right?
    FFL either way....id question him too, i wouldnt be to happy with a friend trying to put me in a incriminating situation

(Philadelphia County)

So i can only have a rifle or shotgun mailed to me if it was purchased in PA? only within the state then? So if he orders it from a shop in PA and gets sent to my house in PA thats fine? sorry for all the dumb questions im not too clear on all of this because i just do thing on my own.

(Bucks County)

So i can only have a rifle or shotgun mailed to me if it was purchased in PA? only within the state then? So if he orders it from a shop in PA and gets sent to my house in PA thats fine? sorry for all the dumb questions im not too clear on all of this because i just do thing on my own.
    Private long gun sales in PA aka Intrastate can go through the mail to another non prohibited PA resident...

However, buying from any shop or retailer it will have to go through FFL....

No gun is going directly to your house unless sent in for repair or buying privately from another PA resident (and i would not advise this route when dealing with intrastate long gun transfers)...

either way still circumventing the law as you being the "straw man" if he is using you to intently buy an item in a less hassle form than i believe his state requires...

Id personally tell your friend to stop trying to drag you into illegal matters and deal with this shit on his own, unless he knows he cant own the gun and law breaking esclates even more

(Lycoming County)

No since he is either a NJ or Alabama resident as you said previously any purchases would have to go through his home state. You could have a shot gun sent to you through the mail in PA from another PA resident because you are a PA resident yourself.

(Bucks County)

I still question why you would be involved in this transaction at all.

If YOU were buying a long gun (rifle or shotgun) from another PA resident, it could be shipped directly from the seller to you, just like you could meet them in person and complete a face-to-face transaction without completing a transfer at an FFL.

If a NJ resident wants to buy a long gun in PA, it must be via FFL, either transferred at an FFL from a private seller or purchased directly at an FFL. There is NO option for a NJ resident to obtain a long gun in PA other than at an FFL. If he wants to buy a shotgun at a shop in PA, let him do that. No reason to ship anything or get you involved whatsoever.

(Lycoming County)

No not legal at all. Any firearms ordered on line must be shipped to an FFL in your home state. If he is a NJ resident they must go through an FFL in New Jersey.

Exactly where did he find some place to ship a shotgun to anywhere but an FFL. I don't think I have ever seen an online dealer that would ship to anyone but an FFL holder.

I'm not sure why your buddy asked you to try this unless he is clueless on the laws in NJ about buying firearms. He must first get a firearms purchasers card before he can buy any gun in NJ and I doubt anybody that has gone through that process would not know it is illegal to do what you described.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast