Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Thumbs down Another TulAmmo (steel) Issue

Anyone experience TulAmmo binding up inside the mag?

I had bought some TulAmmo (steel) last year and having run it before in my XD45 with no problems.
    I took a box of it to a friends house and was going to run it through a Sig P220 when I realized the bullets were out of spec.& not seated deep enough and no more than 3 rounds would load into the single stack Sig Magazine.
    I contacted TulAmmo about the issue and they made good on their product.

Now last week I took a new box of it to the range and it started to bind up the XD45 magazine leaving all the rounds above the jam loose and ready to fall out.

I think I'm done with TulAmmo and will spend a little more for something else. Just wondering if anyone else had any issues with same? Or any thoughts on the whole matter?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Another TulAmmo (steel) Issue

Quote Originally Posted by fireinahorn View Post
    Anyone experience TulAmmo binding up inside the mag?

I had bought some TulAmmo (steel) last year and having run it before in my XD45 with no problems.
    I took a box of it to a friends house and was going to run it through a Sig P220 when I realized the bullets were out of spec.& not seated deep enough and no more than 3 rounds would load into the single stack Sig Magazine.
    I contacted TulAmmo about the issue and they made good on their product.

Now last week I took a new box of it to the range and it started to bind up the XD45 magazine leaving all the rounds above the jam loose and ready to fall out.

I think I'm done with TulAmmo and will spend a little more for something else. Just wondering if anyone else had any issues with same? Or any thoughts on the whole matter?
    Have you tried multiple magazines, did you check the bullet depth with a caliper or just based on the fact it didnt chamber correctly?

Ive never had an issue with Tul Ammo in any of the calibers ive used including .45acp, however, dont run steel ammo through my handguns unless forced to (height of the SH mess)...

Im thinking it might be your magazine spring?

(Clinton County)

The only time I had that problem with tul ammo was with the .223 rounds in a surefire 60 rd mag. other than that no issues. Pmags, mil spec, alum, SS, for AR mags and no problems in my Glock mags for steel .40
    I'm finally 21 and almost a real "Adult" according to the Govt

(Berks County)

Steel case is for ak sks and other "junk" never for quality arms, ever. 9x18 in a mackorov sure. Steel is no gasket like brass. Powders are trash. They burn out the throat.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Steel case is for ak sks and other "junk" never for quality arms, ever. 9x18 in a mackorov sure. Steel is no gasket like brass. Powders are trash. They burn out the throat.
    You speak like a venomous bourgeois against weapons of the Great Russian Motherland, you Yanqui yellow running dog! Oops, I was channeling Field Marshal Stalin!

(Cumberland County)

You're not alone.

TulAmmo + Sig220 mags = problems.

I bought 500 rounds of 45 for a training class. I figured why not burn the cheap stuff....

The 220 magazine has a crimp that helps orient the top round for proper presentation to the feed ramp. The case rim on TulAmmo is cut shorter and at a much sharper angle than brass cased ammo. As a result, after about 3 rounds, mag loading was difficult. Getting the last 3 rounds into the mag was next to impossible. Once the mags were loaded, I didn't experience any feed or cycling problems.

I burned the rest of the ammo that I didn't use at the training class by loading the mag with them until I ran into issues, then loaded brass cased ammo on top to fill out the magazine. There was a noticeable power difference between the TulAmmo and WWB - TulAmmo was not loaded as hot.

Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Put a micrometer to a fired steel case and you'll find it expands the same as brass. The steel used in these cases is pretty soft stuff.

What is the throat burn out comment based on? I know a lot of guys that use this stuff and never heard this about modern made steel cased ammo.

(Berks County)

A link in a post on here leads to a test of ar15s and ammo, the steel stuff had more erosion then normal ammo, granted the guns were run extremely hot but still the steel case stuff shot out the barrels quicker. The cost saved by the cheap ammo bought new barrels but not everyone wants to go that rout. The steel is soft but it isn't brass. They use it because it costs less not because it's better. They coat it because it's sub optimal material for a cartage case. It has no other benifit other then cost. It is not better and it is not equal to brass that makes it worse. Will it work? Mostly. I want more. I like to hit what I aim at when I chose every time. If I want to just chuck bullets in the general direction then sure the ak and sks will do that with steel case surplus all day long. Now if I had one of the better ak or sks then I would buy brass for them also. Now I'm going to go light my cigar with a hundred dollar bill.

A link in a post on here leads to a test of ar15s and ammo, the steel stuff had more erosion then normal ammo, granted the guns were run extremely hot but still the steel case stuff shot out the barrels quicker. The cost saved by the cheap ammo bought new barrels but not everyone wants to go that rout. The steel is soft but it isn't brass. They use it because it costs less not because it's better. They coat it because it's sub optimal material for a cartage case. It has no other benifit other then cost. It is not better and it is not equal to brass that makes it worse. Will it work? Mostly. I want more. I like to hit what I aim at when I chose every time. If I want to just chuck bullets in the general direction then sure the ak and sks will do that with steel case surplus all day long. Now if I had one of the better ak or sks then I would buy brass for them also. Now I'm going to go light my cigar with a hundred dollar bill.
    I'm not disagreeing. Never said the stuff was good. I don't think anyone out there doesn't know they use steel to save money. Steel is dirt cheap compared to brass. The enamel coating is because the stuff rusts quickly otherwise.

(Northampton County)

Thanks for the info everyone. I took the mag apart and wiped it out, didn't notice anything out of order. Spring feels normal to me. I'll run some brass case rounds through it next time and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast