Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Kicked out of Home Depot/ Corporate Policy Change

I was confronted in home depot today and asked if I had a "permit". I told him I did not have to answer that question. Long story short I ended up talking to toe store manager and that did not go well, he says that they can ask any questions they want. asked if they would ask every customer if they had a drivers license and he said "yes, if a customer complains that they might not"

I called corporate and that went even worse, corporate says that the law says I have to show my license to carry. I argued that it says a law enforcement officer has to be shown and a Home Depot employee is not a law enforcement officer. He said it is private property and I must show my license and that is their policy.

The corporate person I talked to was Clarence, 1-800-654-0688 ext 76272

Edit to add store conversation:

Me: Why do you ask?
    Him: please say she does
    Me: corporate policy has always been that carry was allowed in the store, he just stood there and looked at me
    Me: are you saying we have to leave
    Him: if you don't have a permit
    Me: is there a manager I could talk to or should I leave
    Him: Store manager is here, follow me

We walked back to an office with about three other people sitting there.

Employee: He wanted to talk to you, all three people looked at me
    Me: He is saying that I have to have a license to carry or else I have to leave, is that true?
    Employee: I never said you had to leave
    Manager: Yes you must show us your license if asked
    Me: That is not what the corporate policy was the last I had heard, would you be ok if an employee went up to every customer and asked if they had a drivers license.

Manager: Yes they can ask you anything they want
    Me: Ok, I call corporate and talk to them. I will leave now and shop somewhere else.

Manager didn't say anything so I walked out and left

CORPORATE Conversation:

I explained what happened at the store, they asked what store it was and who I talked to

Corporate: Give me 3-5 minutes to look up policy
    Wait about four minutes
    Corporate: I talked to the manager and state law says you must show a permit if asked
    Me: The law says I must show to a law enforcement officer upon lawful demand
    Corporate: This is private property
    Me: I am not comfortable having to show my personal info
    Corporate: That is the law and store policy
    Me: That is not the law but might be store policy if it has changed recently
    Corporate: That is the law
    Me: Is there a district manager or something I can talk to?
    Corporate: There is no way you can escalate this matter
    Me: Thank you, have a nice day
    Last edited by StonewallRabbitry; February 9th, 2014 at 05:16 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Kicked out of Home Depot/ Corporate Policy Change

Where does the law say that you must show your LTCF for carrying openly? I must have missed that part.

(York County)

I asked if there was a district manager I could talk to or something and I was told "there is no way to escalate the situation"

(Lehigh County)

You should have told him whether you are licensed to carry or not, obviously you are because we're in a state of emergency and you wouldn't be breaking the law. Chances are you would have finished your shopping trip.

Also, home depot isn't the government. They can make you give them a red sock and a shoe horn before entering their premises. They can restrict carrying to only licensed individuals, and they don't have be a LEO to ask you to produce it.

(Bucks County)

Wait. A store manager will ask you if you have a driver's license if a customer complains to him that you may not have one? LOL... This manager has a case of the powerful almighty.

But, the driver's license was a poor analogy imo, so it's moot. imo.

I guess we can assume that a customer spotted the gun and expressed concern to store personnel. Sounds like the manager or corp has a policy that they will allow if you have a permit. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. You have to realize that not everyone understands beyond what they see on the news and what directives come down from above.

Maybe try showing the permit once, and see how that goes? 'course the next thing would be OK..please cover it up. Which I also find reasonable.
    Last edited by Bang; February 9th, 2014 at 04:29 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    You should have told him whether you are licensed to carry or not, obviously you are because we're in a state of emergency and you wouldn't be breaking the law. Chances are you would have finished your shopping trip.

Also, home depot isn't the government. They can make you give them a red sock and a shoe horn before entering their premises. They can restrict carrying to only licensed individuals, and they don't have be a LEO to ask you to produce it.
    I would rather shop somewhere else that have to tell them if I am licensed or not, which is exactly what I did. I will be moving my commercial account to Lowes

(Bucks County)

Ok, a lesson in civility might be needed. First, they can ask you any question they want. So can a cop! That doesn't mean you have to answer it. Second, you are on private property, they make the rules. The Manager makes the rules locally and you WILL comply or face the consequences. Now, that's not to say that you cannot come back at him by contacting Corporate and getting him fired. YOU CAN, if he broke Corporate policy! What you CANNOT do is stand there and argue with him and expect to win. YOU WON"T!

Now, did Corporate change their policy today as a result of you coming off as a wise-ass know-it-all prick, or did they recently change it as a normal business decision? If the latter, then we just shop at Lowes (if you want to support the cause) , but if the former, well I guess we all should thank you for kicking our cause in the nuts.

We HAVE to be nice, we HAVE to be respectful, we NEED to look like respectable people or we will lose this fight. Have you ever decided in the first ten seconds of a conversation that, "The person I am speaking with is useless, and a waste of oxygen, or is a knuckle-dragging idiot".? Yeah, any time we get our backs up and go off on someone, we look like THAT person, and we have instantly lost the battle.

Next time, try answering the question with a positive attitude. " Why yes, I do have a License to Carry Firearms, but it is not needed since I am Open Carrying. I was told that Home Depot's policy was to follow State Law in these cases. Has that changed, or was I misinformed? Would you like to me to leave? I will , but may I ask your name before I go? Thank you, and have a nice day".
    See? In that one answer you have clearly stated that you know the law, know their Corporate policy, and WILL be taking this up with his superiors. You never said any of it, but the message is clear. BONUS!!!!, you come off looking like the good guy in the exchange.

Please don't take what I said as a slap. Try to see the wisdom in acting professionally and letting the other side be the loser. In fact, we have already WON the fight, we just have to act like the Champions that we are, and not the losers they would like everyone to believe we are!

EDIT TO ADD: I did not mean to sound like I was calling you a wise ass know it all prick. What I meant was, did policy change because they perceived you that way, or because of some corporate business decision unrelated to today's incident? I did not mean to infer you were a ,well, you know!
    Last edited by Manxdriver; February 9th, 2014 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StonewallRabbitry View Post
    I would rather shop somewhere else that have to tell them if I am licensed or not, which is exactly what I did. I will be moving my commercial account to Lowes
    Good for you. The only way to make these people (Home Depot) realize that they can't arbitrarily make up rules, is to hurt them in the pocketbook. Maybe you should write a letter to their corporate offices, with a "cc" showing a copy forwarded to the NRA. A little financial pressure never hurts. The libs try this tactic all the time. Sometimes it works, just ask the Rev. J.J. & company.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by StonewallRabbitry View Post
    I was confronted in home depot today and asked if I had a "permit". I told him I did not have to answer that question.
    You are on private property he can ask you to leave or if you can hop on one foot or leave. He gets to make the rules.
    Since you are on private property why not answer yes I do and then explain to him the current law and hand him a PAFOA flier. We need allies not adversaries.

(Bucks County)

Hello. I'm Jesus Christ.
    Yeah, sure you are.
    I am!
    Get outta here.
    I can prove it...walk into this bar with me down the street. They'll vouch.
    In they go.
    Bartender: Jesus Christ, are you back in here again!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast