Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Kel Tec .380 vs new Ruger .380

I just got done reading the Gun Test magazine evaluation of the new Ruger.

They said that they prefered the Kel-Tec more but that the guns were virtually identical to the point that the Ruger seemed to be a clone of the Kel Tec.

My wife and I each have a Kel Tec .380 (Model P3AT) and are very happy with them as deep concealed carry pieces. Note: they are NOT target pistols but are more in the last ditch belly gun category.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Kel Tec .380 vs new Ruger .380

From what ive heard they are practically identical, except the ruger seems to have a better fit and finish to it. And the slide lock, which ive heard mixed reviews - including a member here having the slide close on his hand! (forgot who had this happen, sorry)

Overall I think I would and will purchase the ruger simply because of the quality guns that ruger makes and the few bells and whistles that come with the ruger as well.

(Allegheny County)

I have owned a Kel Tec .380 P3AT for about a year. I like the fact that it is lighter, thinner, and easier to shoot, IMHO, than my S&W 442. It is a true “pocket pistol” that one could throw in a pocket holster and forget about until needed. I bought it as a back-up or “hold out” gun, so I wasn’t concerned with the accuracy or “marginal” caliber arguments about .380 ACP.

The only way my P3AT failed the test, in my view, was reliability. And for a CCW it failed BIG. I tried it with a wide variety of ammo. I had other people shoot it to make sure it wasn’t just me “limp wristing” shots when I got tired. I bought it with the understanding that Kel Tec had reliability problems, but figured it was OK since they have a lifetime warranty. I was almost expecting to send it to the factory at least once. I have now sent it back to Kel Tec twice. The last time Kel Tec claimed they test fired it and it is “fixed”. They have worked on or replaced just about every part. But I haven’t been able to get through three magazines, less than twenty rounds, without some type of malfunction. I really wanted to like this gun. I was willing to be patient. But I eventually had to concede defeat.

I have come to the conclusion that the manufacturing techniques of companies like Kel Tec are just bad news when it comes to pocket sized, small caliber pistols. If you are talking about a large frame pistol and something with a loose action I think CNC machining is OK. But with a small pistol I think you need a trained gunsmith to hand-fit parts, or at least to check the product being turned out and hand fit things as needed. I guess, in theory, if you had really top of the line machine tools, intended for making Swiss watches, you wouldn’t need to hand-fit things. But I think that Kel Tec, Kahr, and other companies that have transitioned from being general CNC manufacturers to gun makers, are probably using machine tools that aren’t precise enough for making a pocket-sized .32 ACP or .380 ACP pistol. I used to think people were crazy for spending $800 and waiting months for a hand-fitted pocket pistol from Seecamp. It doesn’t seem crazy to me anymore.

I know there are Kel Tec owners out there who claim they are great guns. It is possible the quality is merely inconsistent not consistently bad, and one could get lucky. So I won’t say it isn’t possible to get a “good” Kel Tec. But my gut instinct is that most folks who are happy with their Kel Tec don’t do as much shooting as I do, and haven’t put them through genuinely rigorous shooting before arriving at their conclusion.

That being said, when I heard about the new Ruger LCP I really had high hopes. I was hoping to hear that Ruger had managed to more successfully execute the general concept represented by the Kel Tec P3AT, which is a great concept. So if the LCP is just as unreliable as the P3AT, then that is truly disappointing. I was planning on getting a new LCP, but I may have to wait and save up for a Seecamp instead. In the meantime, I will keep carrying my S&W snub nose, which if nothing else is reliable. I would love to hear from anyone who has actually bought and shot the Ruger LCP.
    Last edited by panther76; May 30th, 2008 at 05:36 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

I have run my P3AT till it was pretty darn hot, It tosses shells 20+ feet behind me and has never had any mishap of any sort with about 500 rounds through it, BUT, when I got it, I took it apart and smoothed out the rails and slide where they ride, If yours if parkerized, You mast likely have some galling going on in the rails! Try cleaning that up real good, and you might be suprised how well it may work,
    PB

(Adams County)

I have the LCP.380 with 100 rounds through it.
    It works fine so far. It is what it is: a small pocket gun, better then no gun at all.

I get Gun Test, They are a bit late with 'LCP is a Kel-Tec Clone'.
    The only difference I see is the lock back slide.
    I never owned Kel-Tec or fired one. So I only know what I have read and some were not happy with its reliability, so I went LCP.

The trigger on the LCP is about 8lbs and feels like 20. ( Have you seen the lock that comes with the RugerLCP?? Its twice as big as the gun and three times as heavy------what a joke!!!)
    But after shooting it, a Glock trigger feels ...............WONDERFUL.

~BEST~
    Bill-------------------------->
    Last edited by Pa.Bill; May 31st, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
    NRA - LIFE / ENDOWMENT MEMBER
    LIFE MEMBER - VIETNAM VETERANS AMERICA
    U.S.NAVY SEAWOLVES - VIETNAM 69/70

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    ...It tosses shells 20+ feet behind me...
    Just a thought, but you might be limp-wristing it a bit. My KT seems to toss brass directly over my shoulder when I fire it limp, but ejects out to just behind my 3:00 and very high when I have a good grip on it. You might just have a slightly longer or differently shaped ejector.

(Dauphin County)

I carry a p32 that I really like, and have put a couple of hundred rounds through with no problems. A good question to ask is how good Rugers customer service is, because Keltec is wonderful in this regard, and (at least for now) there are a lot more accessories for them.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    I carry a p32 that I really like, and have put a couple of hundred rounds through with no problems. A good question to ask is how good Rugers customer service is, because Keltec is wonderful in this regard, and (at least for now) there are a lot more accessories for them.

How do you like the extension and lazer? I am just starting to carry the p-32 and wondered if the extension was a good option.

do they come in chrome?

P-11jokingSHOOTER

I've a Ruger 380 LCP. I in fact had both guns available at the gun store to look at before buying. I examined both guns carefully, stripped the guns down and looked at the internals of the guns.

1) the ruger has a better grip, it is smoothed down where you place your hand so it won't rip on your skin while shooting.
    2) the slide lock
    3) the frame and slide look better made without buying any 3rd party parts or replacement parts.

The only con side of buying the ruger
    1) not many add-on options

I can wait for the add on options. I'm not too worried. I'm buying the gun for a gun and something to CC when I can't OC.

Personally I like the Ruger LCP, indirectly. I was looking for a pocket gun, for CC, and I picked up a P3AT cheap, used. I'm guessing the LCP rage is causing some people to want to sell their Kel Tec's cheap. I appreciate it.

MY GAIN!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast