Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I don't know why but this made me laugh, school officials object to no gun sign

A bit more of a look into the mind of an anti than I wanted. I definitely live in a different reality than they do.

a. We don't want people to carry guns in schools

b. Guns are so bad that even the image of a gun on a no gun sticker is
    offensive and frightening.

c. People are so stupid that they will misinterpret what the stickers mean and think that they have been okay with
    guns in schools before the stickers.

d. These stickers will ultimately keep schools safe.... "yes, someone in the
    article actually says the stickers will make schools safer"

e. Apparently 911 has made the world dumber and changed things
    because someone actually insinuates that people need to be reminded
    about not bringing guns into schools because 911 changed everything.

Oh and apparently looking at the sticker automatically makes a person think about Sandy Hook. I didn't until they brought it up.

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/ne...ban-signs.html

A black gun with a red slash through it.
    It is a sign of the times, as well as a sign that is sure to become ubiquitous.

School officials want the public to know that in compliance with state law (House Bill 0183), schools, churches, government agencies and liquor stores statewide will be posting 4-by-6-inch stickers reminding the public, particularly those with a concealed-carry license, that there are limits on where a gun can be carried.

While schools didn’t allow guns even before the concealed-carry law was passed, they still are required to display the reminder. Some officials are questioning the mandate, and some find the sticker image disturbing.
    Several Southland schools already have the stickers posted at entryways, including Reavis High School in Burbank, Incarnation School in Palos Heights, all four Lincoln-Way high schools, schools in North Palos School District 117, schools across Oak Lawn and Hometown, plus Eisenhower High School in Blue Island, Richards High School in Oak Lawn and Shepard High School in Palos Heights.

Others expect to have them visible within the next few weeks.
    While complying with state law isn’t a point of contention, some school administrators find the sticker’s image to be a bit alarming.
    “One of my biggest concerns as a principal is safety and security,” Tinley Park High School Principal Theresa Nolan said. “It is bothersome to have to post a sticker of a gun that says, ‘Hey, folks, leave your guns at home.’ ”

Nolan said she is not opposed to posting it, she’s just worried that not enough people are aware of what it means and could misinterpret the new signage.

“I think the general public will be alarmed by it and wonder if people have been allowed to bring guns to school in the past,” she said. In her 22 years with Bremen Community High School District 228, she said, “I have no knowledge of guns ever being in this building.”

Nolan, and others, take issue with the sticker’s design.
    “I would have appreciated something more subtle, yet still recognizable — a logo, perhaps, not a gun,” she said.
    “You can’t look at this (sticker) and not think about Sandy Hook,” she said, referring to the 2012 school shooting in Newton, Conn., in which 20

children and six teachers were killed.

Tinley Park Associate Principal Randy Couwenhoven said, “The intent of the stickers is to inform those with a concealed-carry license that they are not allowed to bring a gun into this location. It is a reminder to this particular audience, an audience that should already know this.”
    Because the law extends the gun ban to all school property, including football stadiums and parking lots, Nolan said it won’t be long before schools are posting this same symbol, at their own expense, at those locations, as well.

Tinley Park Police Chief Steve Neubauer said the design was developed by the Illinois State Police. Certain entities, including schools, churches and government agencies, as well as liquor stores, are required to post them.

But any business owner can download the image from the state police website and post it if they desire their property to be gun-free.
    Neubauer said the law also bans guns at public events, so people can expect to see the image posted at entry points to parades and festivals, including the village’s summer Caribbean Beach block party.
    Some schools, including Oak Lawn High School and those in Oak Lawn-Hometown District 123, alerted staff, parents and students via newsletters and announcements before the stickers went up.

“It is not necessarily something you’d want on a school building,” District 123 Supt. Paul Enderle said. “But it correlates with the law, and I think if it ultimately helps to keep schools safe, that’s the objective.”
    In Community High School District 218, which includes Shepard, Richards and Eisenhower, the topic was addressed during parent meetings. Supt. John Byrne agreed the sticker is “abrupt when you first see it.
    “But I think it is probably less glaring to kids than to parents,” he said. “Kids are more aware of symbols and what they mean than older people might be.”

The image can be frightening, Byrne said, “but if it keeps the world safer, that’s OK. The No. 1 thing we do for kids in general is keep their school safe. We don’t want schools to become like airports but we should make some reasonable efforts. If it’s reasonable to tell people this is a safe, no-gun zone, then we’ll do it.”

In some ways, he said, “it is a sad editorial on humanity” that people need to be reminded that weapons are not allowed in schools. Then again, he said, the world has not been the same since 9/11.

“That event traumatized the nation and maybe rightly so,” he said. “It made us aware of things going on around the world.”
    Lincoln-Way Community High School District 210 spokeswoman Stacy Holland said the stickers have been posted at entryways to all four high schools with little fanfare. They are posted next to the stickers that remind students and visitors that smoking is not allowed and that hats need to be removed before entering the building, she said.

(York County)

Default Re: I don't know why but this made me laugh, school officials object to no gun sign

"Get rid of the guns!"

"Put a sticker!"

"Get rid of THAT gun!"

We need to go deeper... / Inception

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Default Re: I don't know why but this made me laugh, school officials object to no gun sign

It amazes me how stupid some people are in this country of ours...

(Schuylkill County)

Zero tolerance has to apply to everyone. If a student wore that symbol on his shirt, he would be suspended. They need to lock down all schools until the offensive images can be removed.

(Lancaster County)

So they put up a sign that says "No Beretta", so I guess I'm good to go with my Glock?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    So they put up a sign that says "No Beretta", so I guess I'm good to go with my Glock?
    Damn, you beat me to it.

(Delaware County)

We can't put up that sign! Think of the Children! (sarcasm off)

(York County)

Default It's not PA

Look at the link, seems this is from the Chicago area. Kind of puts the anti comments from educators in perspective. I know for a fact in PA we can carry in a Church - unless the Church leaders tell you otherwise.

You all are forgetting the emotional trauma this kid caused with his poptart gun.

People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Lancaster County)

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast