Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Tired of getting hit in the head....

Good morning everyone,

So funny story then question. I got a Kimber Pro Carry II from my brother not long ago and took it to the range to test it out. Ran 100 rounds through and got plunked in the head about 20 times (go ahead, I'll wait for you to get off the floor from laughter). Took her apart again and found a bent extractor, not major, but bent. Ordered a replacement from Brownells and ran it again. This time it was about 7 times i got plunked.

Obviously the extractor helped, but did not cure the issue. I don't believe this is just a Kimber thing, who would buy a piece that has a 10% bite back. She was not taken care of before i got her and spent almost 1.5 years locked in a safe covered with gunpowder and residue. Does anyone have any ideas to the cause and cure for my ails? She is also having a small feed issue (magazine feels loose when full, but tighter when empty when i load it and have a FTF twice in 100 rounds).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always,

Will
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Tired of getting hit in the head....

The ejector needs tuned. And probably the extractor a little. Google it. It is easy to do with a fine file.

What make is the mag? Feeling loose when loaded is not an issue.
    Last edited by hzox221; February 7th, 2014 at 04:04 PM.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

1911 extractors are almost a science in it self - lots of variables to factor in. You could try a Weigand tensioning tool. If you have some friends with 1911's it may help to share and defray the cost. Tension alone may not be the problem though. Could be the shape of the "claw", the position it's holding the spent case, or something else. Is the ejector nice and tight?

With the magazine issue: it is just one mag, or all of them?

(Delaware County)

The ejector is the first thing i am checking when i get home tonight. Gonna do some google tuning if possible, otherwise off to the gun smith. The ejector makes the most sense considering how fouled the interior was when i got it, i may have missed a bur or other issue with it. Should the extractor claw be more out to release the shells to the side, or more in?

I think the magazine may just be beat up as well. I took a Springfield factory mag by mistake when i shot last, next time grabbing the Wilson Combat one

Will
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away

(Monroe County)

Waiting for Lycan to chime in with his infinite wisdom........................................

This works 'bout 10 times out of 10, even with MIM extractors. http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

If you tune the E and E and are still experiencing issues, then you may want to look into trying a Chip McCormick or Tripp (or Wilson) 1911 mag as well as looking at the recoil spring to make sure it isn't a stiffer one than came in the gun. Some folk will put a stiffer spring in to keep the frame from being battered, but that usually isn't an issue unless you shoot hot ammo all the time......oh yea...and clean and lube will definitely help the slide run better.

eta - I wouldn't file anything until you know for sure something needs filing and you've ruled out all the other variables (stiff recoil spring, low powered ammo, crap mag followers, dirty gun, bent extractor, wrist too flexible during recoil). That's a good way to need a new part.
    Last edited by harold63; February 7th, 2014 at 06:59 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.