Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Testing the water.

The possibility of moving to Pennsylvania has come up. Currently I am in Arizona, and when we buy or sell a firearm, it's a personal sale and nothing is recorded. After some research it looks like for handgun purchasing, regardless of whether or not it's through a dealer, it's required to be FFL.

How difficult is this? I love handguns, and it wouldn't make me too happy if every time I bought/sold one I had to go to an FFL. :-( What are the average costs (if any)?

-------------------------------------------

I'll be coming into the state with a lot of guns. Do I need to "register" or have background checks due to the fact that I'm bringing in handguns?

Answered

I have my AZ CCW, and currently PA has written repricocity with AZ. If I'm a resident of PA, do I need to have my PA CCW or can I wait till my AZ CCW expires to get a PA CCW?

Answered

How difficult is it to get a PA CCW? I saw a written letter is required, but do people get turned down often? How long does the process take?

Thanks in advance! Look forward to the possibility of shootin with you guys.
    Last edited by weenis; May 28th, 2008 at 12:57 PM.

Default Re: Testing the water.

Quote Originally Posted by weenis View Post
    How difficult is it to get a PA CCW? I saw a written letter is required, but do people get turned down often? How long does the process take?
    Here in PA it is called a License To Carry Firearms, LTCF. Pretty easy to get one if you have a clean background. Go to sheriff in county you will be residing in. Fill out app, they run a PICS background check on you and if you pass the LTCF is issued. You will need 2 references. Some sheriffs will take ANY reference, others want it to be residents of their county.

It also depends on which county you reside in, as some sheriffs do the above process differently by adding extra steps. Some counties take your photo, others don't put your photo on the LTCF. Legally they must issue or decline you in 45 days. But again, this depends on the county.

But overall, a fairly easy process.

(Allegheny County)

The possibility of moving to Pennsylvania has come up. Currently I am in Arizona, and when we buy or sell a firearm, it's a personal sale and nothing is recorded. After some research it looks like for handgun purchasing, regardless of whether or not it's through a dealer, it's required to be FFL.

How difficult is this? I love handguns, and it wouldn't make me too happy if every time I bought/sold one I had to go to an FFL. :-( What are the average costs (if any)?

I'll be coming into the state with a lot of guns. Do I need to "register" or have background checks due to the fact that I'm bringing in handguns?

Answered

I have my AZ CCW, and currently PA has written repricocity with AZ. If I'm a resident of PA, do I need to have my PA CCW or can I wait till my AZ CCW expires to get a PA CCW?

Answered

Thanks in advance! Look forward to the possibility of shootin with you guys.
    Turn that smile upside down, cuz in PA, you must use an FFL for every handgun transfer. (Not so for long guns)
    Average transfer fee? $20-$40
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Luzerne County)

-------------------

PA is a "shall issue" state. Meaning that if you do not have any disqualifying offenses or conditions, your approved. The Sheriff for your county of residence handles the application. They have 45 days to approve or deny by law.
    see 18PACS6109 for the law on issuance of licenses

You'll want to to check out the PA Gun Rights flyer for some more basic PA info.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html

(Monroe County)

where are you considering moving too?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Turn that smile upside down, cuz in PA, you must use an FFL for every handgun transfer. (Not so for long guns)
    Average transfer fee? $20-$40
    Unless......the transfer is with a spouse, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild. In these cases, no paperwork is required.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

if my wife has a hand gun she can transfer it to me with no FFL transfer?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    if my wife has a hand gun she can transfer it to me with no FFL transfer?
    Yes.

{§6111. Sale or transfer of firearms.}
    § 6111. Sale or transfer of firearms.
    --snip--
    (c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed
    importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or
    transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only
    upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer,
    dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall
    follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the
    seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not
    apply to transfers between spouses
    or to transfers between a
    parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and
    grandchild.

(Indiana County)

Firearms transfers without an FFL or sheriff's department are vertical in nature (grandparent - parent - child). Lateral transfers (sibling - sibling) would require an FFL, unless sibling gives it to parent/grandparent who then gives it to other sibling. The authorities would be hard-pressed to prove otherwise, especially if the parent/grandparent pipes up and says that it's so. Of course, if parents/grandparents are all deceased, then Plan B takes effect (FFL).

(Monroe County)

sorry to take over the thread with un related info but, if my wife has a hand gun and i want to take it to the range i could/would be safe if stoped by loe saying the guns was transfered to me by my wife?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast