Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Arizona Police Shoot Unarmed Man With Hands In Air.

I hate to jump to conclusions, but this video makes me wonder what the hell happened.

It seems that cops in Pinal County Arizona shot and killed a suspect who was standing there, with his hands in the air, offering no threat, as his family looked on.

The video is quite graphic.

Perhaps I am missing something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrF_SYx1js

Pinal County Sheriff Deputy kills Manuel Longoria while Longoria's hands are raised in the air.

Police in Pinal County, Arizona, claimed that the shooting death of a suspected car thief two weeks ago came after the man had turned to reach for a weapon. But video surfaced this week from a bystander, showing that the suspect had turned his back to officers, with his hands held high in the air.

Manuel Longoria, of Mesa, led police on a 40-minute chase in Eloy, and only stopped after sheriff’s deputies crippled the stolen Toyota Corolla with a tire-popping device. Witnesses said that Longoria told police after he got out of the car, surrounded, that he wouldn’t be taken alive. Police fired Tasers and beanbags at him before he turned around.

The video shows him with his hands above his head. One second later, a sheriff’s deputy fired two shots into him, killing him.

Investigators found no weapon.

The Pinal County Sheriff’s Office said it investigated the shooting and found the officer’s use of lethal force justified.

The shooter returned to duty a week later.

Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c1b_1...KwWpOGdfIYi.99
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c1b_1390766144
    Last edited by djpup; February 3rd, 2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Add Story

Default Re: Arizona Police Shoot Unarmed Man With Hands In Air.

Found this description on-line!

Video of a police standoff contradicts the initial Pinal County Sheriff's Office description of the chain of events that led to the shooting death of a suspected car thief. The man had led police and sheriff's deputies on a chase through Casa Grande and Eloy for nearly an hour, before deputies immobilized the car he was driving.

A witness shot the video on a cell phone. It shows the final moments of the standoff, when deputies were ordering Manuel Longoria to surrender. The deputies had their weapons drawn and fired five bean bag rounds at the suspect, in addition to Taser rounds.

Longoria appeared to be moving his arms around, and did not appear to be cooperating with the deputies. Seconds later, the video shows Longoria turn his back on the deputies and raise both hands into the air, high over his head. One second later, a lone deputy fired two shots, killing Longoria.

(Juniata County)

Was he an American or otherwise a subject of Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith? If no, did he hav papers?

If no, who cares?
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Tioga County)

He said he would not be taken alive and I guess he was not.

(Chester County)

He appeared to be waving them like he just don't care.

The video jumps around and is not great quality so I can't really see enough to say what's going on for sure. I tried enlarging the video and start/pause/start/pause around the time he was shot. (about 35 seconds to 54) It looked to me like he was waving his arms around and not keeping them in the air.

Not sure I'm seeing what they say I should be seeing in the video. It looks like he makes a run for his car when they first started shooting, but because the video jumped right about then you can't really tell if he started running then the shots were fired or if the shots being fired led to him running for his car.

Also in the description it says his hands were up and back was to the cops. It's hard to tell if his hands were up, but they did not appear to be to me. (looked like they were going all over the place) It does not appear to me that his back is to the cops.

I may not trust the official story, but at this point I do not trust the unofficial one either.

Edit to add: rewatching it a few more times, I have a better idea what's going on. It looks like they were shooting him with beanbags, he turned around (with his back to the cops), his hands were going up to either show surrender, grab the car, or a reflex..... then the killing shots were fired. Still not enough to make a judgment (imo) about whether or not it was a good or bad shoot. Too many unknowns.
    Last edited by internet troll; February 3rd, 2014 at 01:05 PM.

Well, I hate to say it but I'll borrow a past members saying and I'll paraphrase it.

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes (Valorous).

The problem is, there were X amount of cops. Every cop has a different angle. We see the suspect facing officer's and then officer's engage with bean bags. We see the suspect reach into the car. We then see the suspect put his hands up and is shot.

Depending on which officer shot, what he or she could see is what is going to determine the outcome. From the angle of this particular video, it's clear his hand were raised, albeit a bit to late perhaps?

When he reached into the car a second earlier, if an officer thought he was reaching for a weapon, made the decision to shoot, and pulled the trigger, that takes time. In that amount of time, the suspect put his hands up. Sorry for you, you to slow.

The more I watch the video, the less time elapses between putting hands in car and the fatal shots. About 1 second. See my above about deciding to shoot and shooting. The difference of life or death, about 1 second. Choose wisely with the life you have!!!

Playing bad ass when there's people whose job requires them to carry loaded guns and occasionally point them and shoot them at felons is not the brightest thing in the world someone should do.

I do believe this will be a good shooting. Some people in life are slow learners.

I don't know how to split the video but from what I can see, the dead guy is reaching in his car, pulls his hands out, a bean bag round is fired, the cop ducks, comes up and shoots just as the dead guy puts his hands up. I'll say again, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" (Valorous).

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; February 3rd, 2014 at 04:56 PM.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    The video jumps around and is not great quality so I can't really see enough to say what's going on for sure. I tried enlarging the video and start/pause/start/pause around the time he was shot. (about 35 seconds to 50) It looked to me like he was waving his arms around and not keeping them in the air.

Not sure I'm seeing what they say I should be seeing in the video. It looks like he makes a run for his car when they first started shooting, but because the video jumped right about then you can't really tell if he started running then the shots were fired or if the shots being fired led to him running for his car.

Also in the description it says his hands were up and back was to the cops. It's hard to tell if his hands were up, but they did not appear to be to me. (looked like they were going all over the place) It does not appear to me that his back is to the cops.

I may not trust the official story, but at this point I do not trust the unofficial one either.
    Yeah, ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ what he said. Especially the last line.

Video is too shoddy.

I'm quite sure there will be some colorful comments. Could we maybe get this moved to 'da Lounge?
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

Was this in Libya?

(Philadelphia County)

Piggers gonna pig. Not even surprised at this point.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast