Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Philadelphia mayor takes gun control campaign to Harrisburg

http://www.examiner.com/a-1410974~Ph...ania_Headlines

Philadelphia mayor takes gun control campaign to Harrisburg

May 27, 2008 6:07 PM (3 hrs ago) By MARK SCOLFORO, AP
    » 3 hrs ago: Philadelphia mayor takes gun control campaign to Harrisburg «

Filed under: HARRISBURG, Pa. , MARK SCOLFORO , Nutter Gun Laws

HARRISBURG, Pa. (Map, News) - Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter said Tuesday he wants to work with anyone willing to help him address the gun violence that plagues his city and other parts of the state.

Nutter, a Democrat who took office in January, told a Pennsylvania Press Club luncheon that he was interested in "a different kind of dialogue," and that both sides have to be more realistic.

"I'm committed to working with anyone who is serious about this issue," he said. "And if we could, on both sides I guess, tone down some of the rhetoric, and be that much more direct and serious about how we discuss these issues, all of us will be that much better off."

His priorities include requiring gun owners to report lost or stolen weapons - a proposal the state Legislature has resisted - and reinstating a federal crackdown on assault weapons.

John Hohenwarter, state lobbyist for the National Rifle Association, said city officials should concentrate instead on improving Philadelphia's criminal-justice system.

"I'm disappointed that the mayor continues to focus on the firearm and not the criminal," Hohenwarter said. "You have a revolving-door courtroom, and you have intervention programs which just aren't working or they're just not there. You have to make sure you keep the bad guy in jail."

Nutter spoke of the May 3 fatal shooting of Philadelphia police Sgt. Stephen Liczbinski, who was struck by multiple bullets from a Chinese SKS rifle while responding to a bank robbery.

There is no legitimate reason to possess such high-powered weapons, Nutter said.

"Certainly they're not used for sport, they're not used for hunting, they're not used for target practice," Nutter said. "Because, quite honestly, the devastation these weapons were designed to create leaves virtually nothing left."

He said gun violence affects many people's lives.

"I'm a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, but I'm also a strong supporter of the First Amendment," he said. "And one of those tenets is that people have the right to peacefully assemble."

He said elected officials have a moral responsibility to address gun violence and argued that most Pennsylvanians support such discussions.

"Reasonable people must have reasonable conversations on behalf of the law-abiding citizens of the commonwealth, and (on) behalf of those who seek to be safe, who seek to be free," he said. "We cannot make progress as long as we are talking past each other."

(Berks County)

Default Re: Philadelphia mayor takes gun control campaign to Harrisburg

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    "I'm a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, but I'm also a strong supporter of the First Amendment," he said. "And one of those tenets is that people have the right to peacefully assemble."
    The degree to which Nutter doesn't "get it" is just stunning.

How he can claim he's a supporter of the 2nd Amendment when he wants to enact legislation which defeats the spirit of the 2nd Amendment is just plain hypocritical. And, did he ever think that in some cases, in order for people to peaceably assemble, they need to be able to defend themselves from those who would wish to prevent the assembly, like the government (and their police force)?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Monroe County)

How about a CRAZY thought... ready for this one...

THE INDIVIDUAL DOING THE SHOOTING IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS THE GUN IS NOT!

This guy is such and idiot that it isn't funny. I like how he clearly states he doesn't want to talk to anyone that won't give in to his demands. haha
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    "Certainly they're not used for sport"
    aren't 3 gun matches sport?

they're not used for hunting
    maybe not in PA, but in just about every other state they are.

they're not used for target practice,"
    strange...i use mine for target practice all the time.

"I'm a strong supporter of the Second Amendment
    that right there has to be one of the funniest things anyone has ever said.

of course, he is in complete denial about why the 2nd amendment even exists.

"Reasonable people must have reasonable conversations on behalf of the law-abiding citizens of the commonwealth,
    there are lots of people having reasonable conversations on this issue...too bad nutter isn't one of them.

(Berks County)

Odd...my SKS has also beeen used during target practice. And it leaves most of the paper behind, no "major devestation" like what Nutter said they do, just a few holes. Maybe I'm not using it right.

My 12 gauge, on the other hand...

(Delaware County)

I watched some of this progeam last night which channel PCN replayed and it was just sickening to listen to mayor utter his biased remarks about gun control, at one point he was asked about the long list of charges on the three criminals who shot the officer and he side stepped it with the remark if the weapons were not avaiable to them they would not have them to use.
    then he talked about reporting weapons lost or stolen but made no mention to the fact a law bidding citizen could be held accountable for his own weapons and will cause him to not get a LTCF in the future. He is pleading his case really hard with the liberals and I hope we stick together and voice our views cause he is pushing hard for his views to get passed.

(Berks County)

I also find the name of the article, "Philadelphia mayor takes gun control campaign to Harrisburg", a bit humorous. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but contrary to the article's title, Harrisburg should be "bringing it" to Nutter and charging him and the Philly Council for passing legislation in direct violation of state law. If the Philly AG won't do it, then state AG Tom Corbett should. I know that it's a touchy situation politically, but I believe he would get a huge outpouring of support for his own campaign if he stood up for the law.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    I also find the name of the article, "Philadelphia mayor takes gun control campaign to Harrisburg", a bit humorous. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but contrary to the article's title, Harrisburg should be "bringing it" to Nutter and charging him and the Philly Council for passing legislation in direct violation of state law. If the Philly AG won't do it, then state AG Tom Corbett should. I know that it's a touchy situation politically, but I believe he would get a huge outpouring of support for his own campaign if he stood up for the law.
    Wouldn't it be a slap in the face if the Legislature poses a bill to cut off state funds to Philadelphia while Nuttjob was in Harrisburg?

This guy is nothing more than another pandering pimp pushing poisonous political propaganda.

Try saying that fast.

(Luzerne County)

and why doesnt this NUT address the revolving door scenario for the criminals ??? Maybe he has stock in the door company ?? WAKE UP NUTTER... its the CRIMINALS you should be going after.... NOT the gun owners

(Allegheny County)

note that there is a comments section at the bottom of the article. i posted a comment over there.

a few more might not hurt anything either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast