Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Judge Rules

(Monroe County)

Default The Judge Rules

So we picked up (bought) the taurus judge last saturday, We took it to the range on Friday, i must say it didnt dissapoint, i duplicated the scene on the taurus Video, it came out just the same, .410 #6 shot at seven yards all pellets were on a 11x10 piece of paper, excellent shot pattern , a face full of # 6 shot would definately dissuade any car jacker , robber , rapist etc except for the most determined crackhead/methhead etc. thats what the .45 colt is for, i can see why the president of taurus carries his judge with a staggered load, 410 follwed by a .45 colt. etc.

Anyway the big surpise were the .45 colt, dead on accurate with some old Winchester 225 grain silvertips i had in storeage , at 15 yards, the big Hiviz sight were easy to pick up just aim and shoot.
    And no my front sight didnt fall off as some has experienced, the ribber grips are nice and comfy very absorbent , all in all a very fun gun even with the .410 shotshell.

I can see this gun becoming very popular with over the road truck drivers , should be ideal for defending the sleeping cab etc.

MR nyman

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: The Judge Rules

Good buy. I am planning to get one too, as soon as I can. Right now every where I go they are out of stock. I have heard that there will soon be plenty and I hope the price comes down a bit. I would use mine for bear and snakes when I am hunting and scouting.

(Monroe County)

Yes,
    The dealers are getting only one or two at a time, very short supply at this time, very nice gun very well made fit and finish is great , it shoots the .45 colt very accurately and smoothly, great gun for camping , hunting, should work well with a vertical shoulder holster such as the Biachi x15.

nyman

(Westmoreland County)

Nice report. I've been wanting one myself, but my short list keeps getting longer and longer!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Lancaster County)

I've had a 3" barrel, 2.5 " cylider SS Judge for a few weeks now. (Just stumbled on one in the showcase of a local dealer.) I felt that for my expected use the 000 buck round would be best. I found it very hard to locate these rounds. I was advised by several dealers that Winchester buck and birdshot worked especially well. There were problems loading and extracting other brands because of their varying sizes and surface finish.

I checked about 8-10 gunstores in the Lancaster-York area. The only buckshot I could come up with was two 25 round boxes of S&B Buckshot. These were a tight fit going into the cylinder. (The cylinder holes are machined smaller toward the front of the gun, presumably so you can't try to load and shoot 454 or 460 rounds. The S&B rounds were also very hard to eject. If I had 5 fired shells to eject, I had to push the ejector rod against the shooting bench to apply enough pressure. Several dealers had shelf space allocated for the Winchester buck but were out of stock. I think some of the dealers aren't too smart. On a gun as much in demand as this, they order five 5 round boxes of buckshot at a time. If they had it in stock, I could have cleaned all of them out in one day.

I eventually found that Cheaper Than Dirt had Winchester 410 2.5 inch buck in stock. I ordered fifty 5 round boxes. They work great. Easy to load, easy to eject. In my local search I found some Estate birdshot ($9.99 a box of 25). This round seemed to work very well too and is about the cheapest factory ammo I could find. Cowboy .45LC is a little more expensive (about $30 a box of 50).

My shooting results were pretty much in line with those posted by mrnyman. I don't think the Judge is my ideal all around revolver but it's fun to shoot and it appears like it will work well for certain applications.

(Monroe County)

I bought mine last weekend. I love it so far the only problem I have is finding 410 ammo that works! I first bought estate cartridge rounds, they fired nice and were cheap but had a hell of a time getting the spend shells out. Next I bought Winchester AAHS in #8. Those were a real pain. After firing the shell the back of the brass would bulge out contacting the frame. The only way to get the cylinder to rotate was to pull back on the hammer with one hand and with my other hand help rotate the cylinder!! Not what I would want to be doing if I ever needed to use this in a hurry, but at least these shells were easy to eject do to there smooth sides. I just bought a box of Winchester Super Speed xtra in #6 I haven't shot them yet but I'm hoping for better results. Any one have any sugestions on 410 ammo for these, it would be a big help.
    As for the 45 colt side they all shot great, with good tight groups! The sights are off a bit but that's to be expected, plus I have to play with the loads, hope to find one that puts the rounds close to the sights.

(Chester County)

I dunno... the box o truth wasn't very kind to the judge... I'd probably stick to a 5-shot ultralite snubby revolver or glock 26, but that's just me.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by pdigs View Post
    I bought mine last weekend. I love it so far the only problem I have is finding 410 ammo that works! I first bought estate cartridge rounds, they fired nice and were cheap but had a hell of a time getting the spend shells out. Next I bought Winchester AAHS in #8. Those were a real pain. After firing the shell the back of the brass would bulge out contacting the frame. The only way to get the cylinder to rotate was to pull back on the hammer with one hand and with my other hand help rotate the cylinder!! Not what I would want to be doing if I ever needed to use this in a hurry, but at least these shells were easy to eject do to there smooth sides. I just bought a box of Winchester Super Speed xtra in #6 I haven't shot them yet but I'm hoping for better results. Any one have any sugestions on 410 ammo for these, it would be a big help.
    As for the 45 colt side they all shot great, with good tight groups! The sights are off a bit but that's to be expected, plus I have to play with the loads, hope to find one that puts the rounds close to the sights.
    In addition to the Estate #8 birdshot (SS410 8) rounds mentioned earlier, I've shot Winchester Super X HS High Brass #6 shot (X416) & #4 shot (X414) without any problems at all. The Estate rounds seemed to be smalller in diameter than the Winchester and even thought the plastic side walls are ribbed, they ejected very easily. I have a couple of boxes of Estate #9 shot (SS410 9) which I haven't tried yet but they appear identical to the #8 shot except for the shot size.

Since my last post I've also tried Winchester Hollow Point Rifled Slugs (X41RSS) and they work well too.
    Last edited by ranger7; June 18th, 2008 at 09:15 AM.

Thumbs down Re: The Judge Rules

I would suggest checking out the following link to those of you who are considering buying the Judge: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm.
    The_Vigilante
    "A man can never own enough guns."

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    So we picked up (bought) the taurus judge last saturday, We took it to the range on Friday, i must say it didnt dissapoint, i duplicated the scene on the taurus Video, it came out just the same, .410 #6 shot at seven yards all pellets were on a 11x10 piece of paper, excellent shot pattern , a face full of # 6 shot would definately dissuade any car jacker , robber , rapist etc except for the most determined crackhead/methhead etc. thats what the .45 colt is for, i can see why the president of taurus carries his judge with a staggered load, 410 follwed by a .45 colt. etc.

Anyway the big surpise were the .45 colt, dead on accurate with some old Winchester 225 grain silvertips i had in storeage , at 15 yards, the big Hiviz sight were easy to pick up just aim and shoot.
    And no my front sight didnt fall off as some has experienced, the ribber grips are nice and comfy very absorbent , all in all a very fun gun even with the .410 shotshell.

I can see this gun becoming very popular with over the road truck drivers , should be ideal for defending the sleeping cab etc.

MR nyman
    Just for the record Over the road drivers are not permitted by law, I once again say NOT PERMITTED BY LAW To carry weapons of any kind in the cab of there truck. Whether they are licensed to carry or not, It's a federal dot regulation.

Bastard Child
    Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race! Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast