Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cary, North Carolina
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Philadelphia Police revolvers

    Hi all, new to the forum here...I'm wondering if anyone can inform me about what model Smith revolver would have been carried by PPD between 1962-1984. My dad was an officer and I know he carried a model 10 of some sort. I can't remember whether it was a pencil barrel or heavy barrel, 4 or 6 inch. I would like to purchase one for sentimental reasons and have a line on a clean model 10 pencil barrel 4 inch.
    Any history you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Montco, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    4,171
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Default Re: Philadelphia Police revolvers

    Lemme get a tape measure and check.

    eta: My PPD issued M&P Model of 1905 has a 5 inch barrel. It is not a thick walled barrel. It was on patrol from the late 20s to the late 60s.
    I think in the 50s to the 80s they issued both S&W Model 10s as well as Colt Official Police. Probably 5".

    Do you have any old photos of it?

    Ps. When I say "mine", I inherited it. I'm not that old.
    Last edited by Remington788; January 29th, 2014 at 02:16 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cary, North Carolina
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Philadelphia Police revolvers

    Thanks for the reply Rem, unfortunately, any pictures I have of him in uniform are head shots. I seem to remember him telling a story of how his original service revolver was dropped and damaged and he got a new one sometime in the late 60's early 70's.

    I would kill for a wawa coffee right now!
    Last edited by Pops84; January 29th, 2014 at 11:30 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Philadelphia Police revolvers

    I got on in 1985. I was issued a S & W Model 10 heavy barrel 4 inch. Others in my class got a pencil barrel. No rhyme or reason as to how they assigned them.

    I am not sure what year it changed but previously (1950's, maybe 1960's) they had to buy their own revolvers. I knew a couple old timers that had their own Colt's.

    BTW I was able to buy my original gun a couple years ago for a decent price. Was still in the same box it was turned it and not fired since 1990.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cary, North Carolina
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Philadelphia Police revolvers

    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I got on in 1985. I was issued a S & W Model 10 heavy barrel 4 inch. Others in my class got a pencil barrel. No rhyme or reason as to how they assigned them.

    I am not sure what year it changed but previously (1950's, maybe 1960's) they had to buy their own revolvers. I knew a couple old timers that had their own Colt's.

    BTW I was able to buy my original gun a couple years ago for a decent price. Was still in the same box it was turned it and not fired since 1990.
    Thanks for the reply Carson. Yes I remember my dad saying he had to buy his, the second replacement gun was much cheaper and was used, so who knows what year it could have been. I think I may make an offer on this pencil barrel model 10, looks real clean and close to what I remember.

    That is awesome that you were able to get your original service pistol. A family heirloom for sure!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Abington, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    287295

    Default Re: Philadelphia Police revolvers

    A friend of mine retired from Phila PD in Fall 2013. At the time of his retirement he was carrying an S and W Model 10 with heavy barrel (4 incher). He had been carrying this gun since the 70s.

    I have another friend is his late 50s still carrying the same gun on duty.

    I doubt if there are many "revolver cops' still around.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    2,194
    Rep Power
    7014806

    Default Re: Philadelphia Police revolvers

    Quote Originally Posted by Pops84 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Rem, unfortunately, any pictures I have of him in uniform are head shots. I seem to remember him telling a story of how his original service revolver was dropped and damaged and he got a new one sometime in the late 60's early 70's.

    I would kill for a wawa coffee right now!
    Try checking police academy class photos for your dad.

    Have you tried to search old newspaper photos from the period? Most likely something you could easily do online. Should give you a pretty good idea of the average carry gun.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    615
    Rep Power
    9979244

    Default Re: Philadelphia Police revolvers

    My dad said he was issued a S&W Model 10, 4 inch bull barrel.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cary, North Carolina
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Philadelphia Police revolvers

    Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Try checking police academy class photos for your dad.

    Have you tried to search old newspaper photos from the period? Most likely something you could easily do online. Should give you a pretty good idea of the average carry gun.
    That's a good idea. I have the PPD 215th Anniversary book, I will scan through it for some photo of revolvers. I don't know of any police academy photos though. Maybe a call to the Dept. is in order.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cary, North Carolina
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Philadelphia Police revolvers

    Quote Originally Posted by borekfk View Post
    My dad said he was issued a S&W Model 10, 4 inch bull barrel.
    Do you know what year this was issued?
    See, I seem to remember it possibly being a heavy barrel because when I look at pencil barrels something just doesn't look quite how I remember it, but it has been many years and my memory isn't quite what it used to be.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Philadelphia Police Department Ammunition
    By Rule10b5 in forum Ammunition & Reloading
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: March 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: March 9th, 2009, 08:22 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: May 13th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •