Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Banning anti gun businesses?

This is a spin off thread from http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...ning-guns.html

I want to support a boycott of all businesses that have anti gun policies but with the rate that businesses are posting "No Guns" policies and people like the Dickson City Sheriff actually polling business to make a choice, how can we continue banning them all? Pretty soon there won't be anywhere left for us to spend our consumer dollars at pro gun businesses...heck, even Dicks Sporting Goods apparently doesn't support the 2nd Amendment!

I mean really, how many businesses would actually state that guns are welcome on their property? Considering that us pro gun supporters are the minority of the money spending public...most businesses will probably elect to become gun free zones if asked. Do you think we ( the 2nd A supporters) can make a difference by boycotting anti gun businesses? I don't mean to come off as a nay sayer, but I don't think we should sugar coat boycotting either. If we can make a difference...lets do it! But if not, we need to come up with a plan B. Because with the price of everything rising daily...it is getting hard not to shop at the Wal-Marts and OCB's to save a few bucks, and these companies know it.

I'm a 2nd A supporter 100%...but I'm not sure that a business boycott will work. I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this and maybe your ideas on how we can hit anti gunners where it hurts while still being able to afford to live.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Banning anti gun businesses?

Rocket, my position is not so much a boycott (meant to achieve a desired behavior) as a matter of principle. I will not spend any money in Wal Mart because of their video gun and ammo registration. This will cost me more money, but principle is a pretty valuable thing to me.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

I'm with BT on spending a tad more to do business with the right sort of people who share your views.

But as far as the boycotts go it's pretty ridiculously pointless IMO. Since to boycott them for not allowing firearms they already would have basically told you they don't want you in there so they could give 2shits if you shop/eat there.

(Lackawanna County)

I agree with you RocketFoot. It might become almost impossible to shop if we are to boycott all stores that ban firearms. It may turn out to be like those gas boycotts, "don't buy gas Tuesday", but then everyone buys twice as much on Wednesday.

(Westmoreland County)

I agree with you guys, but my point is that there aren't too many places of business that share our views on the 2nd A. The list of anti gun business seems to be getting bigger everyday! So where do you shop once it's established that all the grocery stores in a hundred mile radius of your house are all anti gun?

(Wayne County)

I can definitely understand the points being made here but I will never set foot into Dicks because of this. If they are willing to sell me ammunition and such, then they should be willing to let me in their store armed...either CC or OC. It just doesn't seem right that a store that sells ammo has an issue with someone having a gun...so...F them.

(Philadelphia County)

I think any such efforts need to be focused on stores that sell guns or ammo, because they are the ones with something real to lose from the gun owning customers.

For the rest, I think a carrot works better than a stick. Instead of threatening people with boycotts, why not organize OC dinners and let the businesses know you are looking for an OC friendly place? The first business that is OK with OC will get the booking. I think you're in a much better negotiating position if you are offering to spend money there for a specific event, rather than threatening to convince some unknown group of people not to go there (who might never have gone there anyway).

(Lancaster County)

First thing you guys should do is vote out that sheriff and anyone in the PD who has any form of sympathy or like mindedness with him. Further, I have a better idea that can be more feasibly implemented by people here: identify who the people are who work for anti gun activist organizations, and politicians and people involved with implementing such policies and refuse them service at your place of business. Rather than boycotting anti gun businesses, boycott anti gun people. Make them not welcome unless they change.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; May 27th, 2008 at 02:25 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I think any such efforts need to be focused on stores that sell guns or ammo, because they are the ones with something real to lose from the gun owning customers.

For the rest, I think a carrot works better than a stick. Instead of threatening people with boycotts, why not organize OC dinners and let the businesses know you are looking for an OC friendly place? The first business that is OK with OC will get the booking. I think you're in a much better negotiating position if you are offering to spend money there for a specific event, rather than threatening to convince some unknown group of people not to go there (who might never have gone there anyway).
    What does this thread have to do with OC? I was under the impression that Rocket was asking about stores that were anti-2A. OC is a part of that, although a small part.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BearTitan View Post
    What does this thread have to do with OC? I was under the impression that Rocket was asking about stores that were anti-2A. OC is a part of that, although a small part.
    Yeah Bear, my original post is concerning OC'ing and/or CC'ing being banned by a business and us boycotting that business in return.

I have to admit that I get a small charge out of CC'ing right past those worthless signs! LOL
    Last edited by RocketFoot; May 27th, 2008 at 02:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast