Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Hunting with an OWB hoslter

I am looking for an OWB holster for the winter months and for when I am hunting. My question is will any quality leather/kydex holster give me enough retention so that when I am fighting through the jaggers and falling on the ground the my gun does not slip out. Am I better off getting a level 2 serpa so that there is no way that thing is coming out. If yes for the serpa than do they now make them specifically for the XDm? I cannot find anything for XDm's only XD's. I find it hard to believe that the XDm will fit in a holster for the XD because for the 4 holsters I own for the gun the companies offered different holsters for the two guns. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any info.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Hunting with an OWB hoslter

I have always used a belt holster with a thumb break when I'm carrying my Glock 20 while hunting. I used to carry it in a Galco FLETCH, which is a good holster, but after a while it would squeak loudly when I moved from carrying a leather holster on a leather belt. I've actually spooked deer in archery season when my holster squeaked. Now I use a Bianchi Accumold. It's all nylon so there's no noise and it has a nylon thumb break strap.

A friend of mine carries his .45 ACP XD in the factory paddle holster that came with the gun and it seems to work just fine for him. I'm not exactly sure which XD model he has.

(Berks County)

I like chest rigs when hunting, keeps the gun where I need/want it. Also, I don't have issues when sitting.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    I like chest rigs when hunting, keeps the gun where I need/want it. Also, I don't have issues when sitting.
    +1.

Shoulder holsters would be the way to go.

The only problem i had when i used to bow hunt was constantly being worried about the bowstring snagging on it. It never happened, but drove me nuts nonetheless, especially when i would be in full draw on a 70lb bow with the forest rodent in my sights....

Hound.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTailhound View Post
    +1.

Shoulder holsters would be the way to go.

The only problem i had when i used to bow hunt was constantly being worried about the bowstring snagging on it. It never happened, but drove me nuts nonetheless, especially when i would be in full draw on a 70lb bow with the forest rodent in my sights....

Hound.
    That was my first concern when thinking about a shoulder holster. Maybe I should rethink them now though.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dj5481 View Post
    That was my first concern when thinking about a shoulder holster. Maybe I should rethink them now though.
    A shoulder holster worked pretty well for me in the past. I always wore it under my camo or jacket and never worried about it snagging the bowstring.

Make sure you get a good one though. I used to use cheap nylon shoulder holsters and although they were comfortable for me they would never last more than one season.

(Monroe County)

Look into one of these , you can wear it like this or remove the straps and wear it like a regular holster, $66 from simply rugged www.simplyrugged.com

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dj5481 View Post
    Like Karys has mentioned in his post, the likelihood of a snag happening is mitigated if you cover it with your camo clothing. Make sure that the holster hugs your flank and doesn't flap around like an extra appendage.

The only reason i carry IWB is because i don't bow hunt any more. When i am out hunting during rifle season, the rifle is my primary.

Hound.

(Berks County)

Not me, but this is my rig for my 4" 686. It's tight against the chest, no worries for me when shooting my bow.

(York County)

I'm glad that works for you, but that is the last place I would want anything with my bowstring in close proximity. I have enough issues with shooting form and clothing bulk without having to worry about a hunk of metal and polymer in the mix. I carry my normal IWB holster at my right side 3 o'clock like normal. I just don't tuck in inside my pants, only under the belt, which for most intents makes it an OWB holster. Mine uses a very strong metal clip with the claw underneath to engage the belt. YMMV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast