Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montour County)

Default Help with hunting gear

Looking for good 3 season hunting gear, pants and jacket in camo. Was thinking Under Armour Ridge Reaper. Anyone have these? Are they too warm for late winter early spring? Suggestions welcome, thanks.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Help with hunting gear

Here is my opinion. I kinda like the cold, and I really hate the heat of the summer. I sometimes get crazy cold and shiver, but that is better than sweating hot for me. If I am going to a stand, I will carry in my outer coat, and I generally take off my hat if I am sweating. At the stand I put on the outer coat - with hood, hat and probably open 2 hand warmers. I put one on the base of my skull. I rotate the other one to my gloved hands in my pockets. I generally carry a small pint sized hot tea. I use under armor, and on cold days it is base layer 3.0 or 4.0. I sometimes wear double layers of UA on top (I will carry in the second layer). Outer clothing is wind proof, but breathable. So I try to travel light, and keep accessories down. Once I get over heated or sweated up, I will probably be super duper cold. If I am pushing deer on a drive I keep really light and rely on breathable clothes like UA. UA is excellent but they cost way too much, my cool wife hand washes them so they dont get trashed. At 80 bucks a base layer, plus other UA stuff I have a grand into underwear. That is pretty wild, but it really extends my time in the woods.

(York County)

I've only bought one pair of UA so far, mostly because it was on sale, and it's the lighter weight stuff, not sure of the model name/number. I do like it, but don't love it. As a base layer on semi-cold days (like down to 30 ish) it works ok, but lower temps require me to layer something over top to keep up-pant drafts from feeling cold. I have a feeling it wicks so well that it is constantly pulling vapor (and therefore heat) away from my skin. I tend to lean toward the fleeced polypropylenes. I have a cheap pair of Bass Pro ECWCs and some Damarts I've had for 10+ years that I love. Just this year I bought some cheap waffled polypropylene sets from Sportsmans guide that I really like. Think I'm done with UA. Way to expensive for what it does, IMO. Best thing about it is it's very sheer and works well under a pair of jeans. I does keep your clothing from bunching up, I'll give it that.

(Carbon County)

Storm Kloth II its wind and water proof, they makes pants and jackets. i have been using it for 2 years, excellent.

(Montour County)

Thanks guys

(York County)

Saw Gator Skins at the Outdoor Show Sat. I'm gonna check them out.