Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Default Re: "They call it the R.I.P. round for good reason...."

Let's see some ballistics and real world testing. I see the perfect answer to avoiding a jam-free experience, as well as a lot of potential for an unbalanced round. It doesn't look exactly aerodynamic with the wide parachute influenced opening.

Me, good old fashioned (and proven...and cheap) hollow points applied with a reasonable amount of practiced shot placement is the way I'm going. A new "innovation in ammunition technology" may have all the benefit of "Clinically Tested Male Enhancement" pills...act now and we'll ship you a second absolutely free, just pay separate shipping and processing.

I can see the Rambo bunch lining up for these over priced under tested rounds. Me. I'll wait for the results before placing my life in their hands.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Allegheny County)

I WILL say that this is one of the best watermelon rounds I've ever seen.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I WILL say that this is one of the best watermelon rounds I've ever seen.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Agree with the "under-tested" to a point (pun intended).

Want some fun? Send it to the Associated Press and then watch Schumer and ilk go bananas (again, pun intended...).

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    This looks like another gimmick to me. Just one more form of frangible round that is made to look "badder" than previous versions to gain publicity and in turn generate sales.

http://thelibertydigest.com/2014/01/...ners-drooling/
    Looks like a good way to part people from their money. Those little "spikes" look like aerodynamic drag to me.

Also makes me wonder how reliably it feeds.... feed ramps like smooth surfaces, don't they?

(Bucks County)

You always need to check your carry ammo for reliable feeding. I wouldn't trust less than 2-300 rounds.

So just buy $500-1000 worth of ammo to see if it works.

Machined rounds do offer certain benefits over the conventionally swaged/formed rounds, however, the verdict is still out on this one. This isn't something I'd want to be hit in the abdomen with, it'd be a field surgeon's nightmare. I think it's biggest flaw is it's design of small pieces and how pointy they are(in regards to feeding). Fragmenting/fracturing bullets do offer a few things over expanding hollow points when done right; multiple wound channels, terminal performance through barriers, and an increased margin for error(as well as being gyroscopically balanced if they are machined from round stock, but we're talking pistol ammo so an increase in accuracy is an almost moot point). I've shot quite a few fracturing rifle and pistol rounds made by another company in both gel and live tissue. Fracturing rounds are by far the best for stopping a living creatures in pistol velocities (2000 fps and less). They just drain so much blood so fast.

As fas as this thing coming open in the air, I don't think it spins fast enough for that. I'm willing to bet that it needs hydraulic pressure to open up as shown.

This round does look impressive through barriers. It also looks like it won't be cheap with all the cutting and drilling it requires.

I'm with DKF on this, I'm betting Swiss CNC lathes.

I am not associated with this company.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Chester County)

The comments are something else....

True, but if a larger round such as the .45 ACP blows the heart and several vertebrae clear out of the person's body, the only operating procedure they'll have is an autopsy. My friend's grandpa was in WWII, and he said his .45 M-1911, when aimed at the sternum, would blow a hole the size of a dinner plate out the back of his enemy. He said the guys would be in a full-on bayonet charge, and that .45 ACP round would not just stop them, but it would actually knock them backwards. Then you have a neat round like the DU tip AP HE .50 cal BMG (think that's what it's called). My friend was a US Army Ranger, and on anti-material duty with a TAC-50, he hit an Iraqi soldier center mass and it turned the guy's upper body into ground hamburger, and it was the first and last time he saw the infamous "Iraqi Two-step." So don't knock the large calibers; they may over penetrate, but they take a lot of material with them.

22, 45, 9mm, it doesn't matter. You can't shoot for the head. Center mass until the threat has been eliminated. Head shots are 1st degree murder.

I prefer a round designed to blow the person's heart out their back. Such as the .45 ACP used in the M-1911 and Thompsons. Browning was a weapon savant; his weapons and munitions have been one-shot-stop wonders for over 100 years now. That's impressive. You may or may not know that Browning developed the .45 ACP to be a one shot kill round in center mass, even if the soldier has massive adrenaline levels. Soldiers pumped on adrenaline were a real problem, and the US military wanted a round that was manageable, cost effective, and would drop an enemy in one shot. Boom; the .45 ACP was born. It's been my favorite lethal round until I saw the R.I.P. round. The 9-way dispersive penetration maximizes the odds of vital organs and arteries to be hit, and no drug will let you keep going when you're hemorrhaging internally from massive concussive trauma and lacerations. Browning would be impressed.

Notice in the video that the rounds exited the gel at awkward angles etc? I would worry that shooting someone might injure others or even myself with this round. That is almost TOO much redirection.
    can you explain what exactly you mean with this statement, depending on the size of the man it is very possible that after being shot with a 22 he may grab the gun out of your hands and beat you down with it. On the other hand after being hit with a 45 in the same place he is going no where
    for perp ammo --a hollow point -filled with a bit of mercury--sealed by a drop of hot wax and buffed smooth , let em run off --even a decent wound hit is fatal --a dead on hit will cause massive damage and of course they will not live long . -- BTW mercury is said to be the 3rd most toxic substance on the planet they say.--remember if you shoot people its cuz you want them to die , you wound someone and they get away or get caught do some time --they might come back and "bushwhack" you later on --so why "take a chance" --dead men / women don't do squat.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Allegheny County)

I SO wish that stupid was painful.

(Centre County)

That headline is bad and stupid press. "Yeah!!! We're all droooling for it cuz it'll help us kill people better!!!! Yeah!!!"

LOL...CNC machined rounds? Most likely $1.00+/round. Plus, it's lead free and sub-100 grain (keep in mind the formula for momentum)...am I still paranoid for bringing up the coming ammunition paradigm shift? How about "no thanks, I'll take lead ammunition, though."
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast