Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question Deer - Bait/Attractant

So, when I last looked, baits/attractants are still illegal. Doe urine is legal for some reason but throwing out some corn or the bags of attractant is not. So, if this is still true, why do I see the stuff being sold during deer season? What's worse, why do I see the stores going through stock during deer season!? I tend to wait until the end of the season and buy a few salt licks when they go on clearance. Then, I have a few to put out over the summer leading up to archery's kickoff in the fall. If my intel is old or a bit off, please let me know...

Now, many other states allow the use of the stuff. We, do not.... Personally, I don't see a reason not to per se (I'm sure that statement will piss of several folks.). Southeaster PA has such an overabundance of deer which is quite evident by the number of antlerless tags being allocated every year. (5C had over 100K allocated this season!) If they wanted us to deal with the population, I would think they'ed allow us to have damn near every advantage we could get our hands on - within reason. It's has to be better for the economy than hiring sharpshooters to go in at night and deplete the surplus population in Valley Forge Park.

Thoughts?
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Default Re: Deer - Bait/Attractant

You can bait/feed throughout the year, but you must remove and clean up any leftover food or attractant 30 days before the season opens. You can't even hunt in an area that has been fed in the last 30 days. You are responsible for knowing if there was food somehow.

I don't know why the stuff moves throughout the season...I assume there are some folks who still feed on private land. Also, it could be people who are going out of state for a hunt and they are allowed to feed, so they take all of their supplies with them.

We are not allowed to feed for the same reasons we can't use semi autos. Not looking to participate in this debate again, but the archaic hunting laws in PA are the reason. Some folks are not open to the change.

It is ashame too, because I see lots of deer that could have made for great meals laying on the side of the ride....saw 4 this season within a half mile of my primary hunting spot. I know folks in other states who easily get 5 to 10 deer each year because they can feed. My freezer is currently full, but I'd rather it be full of deer meat instead of just having one shelf.

(Chester County)

I've counted over twenty deer in my backyard at one time. I have apple trees so they always check my property for apples, and sometimes bed down back there as well. Can't touch them. A bow or crossbow would be perfectly safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I've counted over twenty deer in my backyard at one time. I have apple trees so they always check my property for apples, and sometimes bed down back there as well. Can't touch them. A bow or crossbow would be perfectly safe.
    I don't understand the bolded part of your post...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by iamtommyboy View Post
    I don't understand the bolded part of your post...
    We're not allowed to hunt anything in my neighborhood. My comment meant that I could safely bag a deer with those implements without using a firearm.

(Berks County)

Angry Re: Deer - Bait/Attractant

You can bait/feed throughout the year, but you must remove and clean up any leftover food or attractant 30 days before the season opens. You can't even hunt in an area that has been fed in the last 30 days. You are responsible for knowing if there was food somehow.
    I knew that part.... That's why I only feed over the summer. However, how are we supposed to know if the area has had food on it within the last 30 days? I've seen salt/mineral licks on state lands and if one doesn't know it's there, and an officer finds it with a guy in a tree stand 50 yards away, I can see that getting messy real quick.

It is a shame too, because I see lots of deer that could have made for great meals laying on the side of the ride....saw 4 this season within a half mile of my primary hunting spot. I know folks in other states who easily get 5 to 10 deer each year because they can feed. My freezer is currently full, but I'd rather it be full of deer meat instead of just having one shelf.
    I agree. I read other forums by hunters in MD and other states where guys get 10 a year. My old boss used to live in the midwest and he used to dump a truck-load of corn in the field and sit over it....

I saw very few deer this year - once the orchard stopped producing apples. Once the apples were gone, I went to my stand in the woods, thinking I'd see a mess of them chewing on acorns. I did until the week before Thanksgiving. My tree stands were stolen and when I replaced one, and started using it, I saw nothing after that. It just seems like they aren't around anymore. I see them in the valley below, with the creek for water and the field for food. If we could just use something to keep them coming into the woods where I hunt, we'd have a chance! We're allowed to hunt along corn fields and orchards but we can't bait. It's no wonder we have a problem with overpopulation.

I can see both sides of the argument over baiting but, again, we have a problem in this area. Furthermore, we're allowed to hunt state-provided food lots, private corn/soybean fields, apple orchards, etc. I'm beginning to think the state just wants our money for the licenses they sell and they may not be as concerned for the deer population as they'd like us to think.

(Berks County)

Angry Re: Deer - Bait/Attractant

Forgot to mention....

I paid them for 4 extra tags and I've been sitting in the stand for several days a week since the season opened. I got 1 deer this year! Looks like they got my money and I got robbed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    We're not allowed to hunt anything in my neighborhood. My comment meant that I could safely bag a deer with those implements without using a firearm.
    Gotcha...wasn't sure what you meant by couldn't touch them. So, even on your own property, you can't hunt with a bow?

I don't know why the stuff moves throughout the season...I assume there are some folks who still feed on private land. Also, it could be people who are going out of state for a hunt and they are allowed to feed, so they take all of their supplies with them.

We are not allowed to feed for the same reasons we can't use semi autos. Not looking to participate in this debate again, but the archaic hunting laws in PA are the reason. Some folks are not open to the change.

It is ashame too, because I see lots of deer that could have made for great meals laying on the side of the ride....saw 4 this season within a half mile of my primary hunting spot. I know folks in other states who easily get 5 to 10 deer each year because they can feed. My freezer is currently full, but I'd rather it be full of deer meat instead of just having one shelf.
    Quote Originally Posted by RKillcrazy View Post
    I knew that part.... That's why I only feed over the summer. Just figured I would clarify for anyone who doesn't know or was curious.However, how are we supposed to know if the area has had food on it within the last 30 days? I'm not sure how we would know if there isn't anything left there...but from how I read the rules, it is our responsibility. I've seen salt/mineral licks on state lands and if one doesn't know it's there, and an officer finds it with a guy in a tree stand 50 yards away, I can see that getting messy real quick.

I agree. I read other forums by hunters in MD and other states where guys get 10 a year. My old boss used to live in the midwest and he used to dump a truck-load of corn in the field and sit over it....

I saw very few deer this year - once the orchard stopped producing apples. Once the apples were gone, I went to my stand in the woods, thinking I'd see a mess of them chewing on acorns. I did until the week before Thanksgiving. My tree stands were stolen and when I replaced one, and started using it, I saw nothing after that. It just seems like they aren't around anymore. I see them in the valley below, with the creek for water and the field for food. If we could just use something to keep them coming into the woods where I hunt, we'd have a chance! We're allowed to hunt along corn fields and orchards but we can't bait. It's no wonder we have a problem with overpopulation.

I can see both sides of the argument over baiting but, again, we have a problem in this area. Furthermore, we're allowed to hunt state-provided food lots, private corn/soybean fields, apple orchards, etc. I'm beginning to think the state just wants our money for the licenses they sell and they may not be as concerned for the deer population as they'd like us to think.
    Doesn't make much sense to me. I can't put corn down, but I can plant a garden (food plot) specifically to draw deer in.

Quote Originally Posted by RKillcrazy View Post
    Forgot to mention....

I paid them for 4 extra tags and I've been sitting in the stand for several days a week since the season opened. I got 1 deer this year! Looks like they got my money and I got robbed!
    Whether I get a deer or not, I enjoy the day, so I don't worry about the couple of extra dollars. We are fortunate enough down here to usually have tags available to purchase still in December and often, into January. I only buy 2 to start the year. If I were to ever get two deer and need more tags, I would get more then. If none are left, I would still be happy with my two deer.

(Berks County)

Whether I get a deer or not, I enjoy the day, so I don't worry about the couple of extra dollars. We are fortunate enough down here to usually have tags available to purchase still in December and often, into January. I only buy 2 to start the year. If I were to ever get two deer and need more tags, I would get more then. If none are left, I would still be happy with my two deer.
    I enjoy the day to an extent. However, during most of the extra season(s) down here, I could be hunting squirrels - which I love to do. Instead, I'm stuck out in the cold, making no shots (noise discipline) and getting nothing for my time out there. After being out in the cold for the last couple months, it's just frustrating. It almost makes me want to look into getting licenses for other states so I can get my fill a little easier and then spend my time in the PA woods, picking off squirrels with a rimfire.
    Last edited by RKillcrazy; January 24th, 2014 at 02:42 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast