Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Russian M44 - HOLY SHEEPDIP Batman!

Well the only one good thing that happened at the range (see my Sunset hill thread in the ranges section for that mess) today was a very nice gentleman that was firing a cannon a few lanes down from my family. Every time this thing went off I my son and I would say WTF is that thing so I finally walked down and asked him what the howitzer he was firing was.

He showed me a Russian M44, I had never see one before and the gentleman was nice enough to ask me if I wanted to fire it, well always being one to try something new I said SURE. He let me put three rounds through it and I have to say that is one MONSTER of a weapon. He also allowed my son to put a round through it (after some kidding about being a wuss) too. He gave a quick explanation about the rifle, the cost of one and where to find ammo ... just a truly nice guy.

So anyway I came home and zipped up to gunbrokers.com and sure enough the damn things are dirt cheap. Also read the history of them and found the production numbers and I am thinking of picking one up just for sh*ts and giggles.

Anything I should specifically look for? Are they accurate (once you get over the shell shock of firing one of course) .... I also saw the BIG production numbers were 1944 and 1945, are their any premiums for 43, 46, 47 and 48.

Once again new territory for this old boy so I'll "ask the experts"

Default Re: Russian M44 - HOLY SHEEPDIP Batman!

The nagants are about...2-3moa I think with the right shooter behind it.

I personally like the 91/30 over the m44 but thats because I like the longer barrel...which is also what they made the nagant snipers out of.

(Lebanon County)

the 44's are or can be kinda funny, they tend to shot best with the bayo extended.
    i also 'am more a fan of the rifle, so i have a 91/30...i think it was like 90 bucks otd.
    i've been thinking about stepping up to a '38, basicly the same gun as teh 44, but without the bayo.
    i would not delay in picking one up. the 7.62x54r has steadly been creeping up in price.....it's still pretty cheap, but not what it was even just 2 years ago.
    pick one of the shorties up and go shooting at dusk, and the fire balls will be fly'n.

fix a bayo on the 91/30, and teh bullets are not needed. it'll have 75 yrd bayonetting range.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

my 10yo boy LOVES the m44, we are picking one up for him tomarrow.

yeah, its a fuckin cannon !

(Erie County)

And if you have a C&R license they are even cheaper. I've got the M44 ,they are a blast...
    "We The People..."

Quote Originally Posted by NWPA shooter View Post
    I've got the M44 ,they are a blast...
    Quite literally!

If you aren't a history buff, you might save a few bucks or get a nicer example if you don't mind a post-war dated example.

There's too much discussion about M44s for a single post here, so feel free to browse this link:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...i=&safe=images

Personally I prefer the M38 carbine. It's almost the same as the M44, but lacks the bayonet. As such, it has much better balance.

Just a word of warning: they are habit forming.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    If you aren't a history buff, you might save a few bucks or get a nicer example if you don't mind a post-war dated example.

There's too much discussion about M44s for a single post here, so feel free to browse this link:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...i=&safe=images

Personally I prefer the M38 carbine. It's almost the same as the M44, but lacks the bayonet. As such, it has much better balance.

Just a word of warning: they are habit forming.
    Actually the history does intrigue me somewhat and my son is a WWII history nut, he wants to start collecting WWII era weapons ... starting with a Panzer Faust ;-)

They are so damn cheap its almost a no brainer, just a fun toy for every once in a while havoc reaking! Just the sound of that monster is mind blowing and the flash out the front of that thing (even in daylight) should reclassify it as a flame thrower!

And as far as habit forming? Haven't bought a weapon yet that wasn't

(Pike County)

Thumbs up Re: Russian M44 - HOLY SHEEPDIP Batman!

they are pretty cool,I have a M38 and I put an ATI stock,a scout mount with a simmons handgun scope,harris bipod,black sling,black elastic shell holder in buttstock and a mini 30 flashider,thats the one with the round front sight kind of h&k and that M38 looks like a rifle of a 1000 bucks LOL....it was super cheap to build but the rifle is dead on accurate and it looks awesome,good luck with your canon.......
    Last edited by glockguy68; May 27th, 2008 at 01:01 AM. Reason: not sure if is a mini 30 f h,but is an eagle one.
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Actually the history does intrigue me somewhat

And as far as habit forming? Haven't bought a weapon yet that wasn't
    as a side note. a version of the '91 was issued to US troops during and after teh first world war.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast