Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default The LTCF stands alone, right??

I am assuming that since currently issued PA LTCF's include address, personal data, and a picture that no corroborating ID is necessary if you decide to CC your weapon and have only the LTCF in your possession.

I have an "older" version of our county's LCTF issue which includes a larger index card sized LTCF as well as a smaller, ID card sized, LTCF duplicate. Both are embossed and signed by the sheriff. I simply keep the larger one neatly folded in the holster of my carry gun. The other, of course, is always in my wallet.

This way, if I choose to leave my wallet in my glove box or anywhere else then I can still keep my pistol concealed on my person.

Anybody see a problem with this?

Default Re: The LTCF stands alone, right??

A few problems, honestly.

First, if you are driving, but you said something about keeping it in your glove box, so thats a non-issue.

Second, where would you plan on needing an ID? the reason i asked is because my LTCF would probably be the LAST form of ID i would ever show anyone, unless i was in a situation where i was asked to produce it (for the appropriate authority, of course).

I guess, in other words, where in your scenario would you be where you would want your only ID to be a LTCF. My drivers liscense isnt that heavy, i usually make due keeping it in my wallet.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    A few problems, honestly.

I guess, in other words, where in your scenario would you be where you would want your only ID to be a LTCF. My drivers liscense isnt that heavy, i usually make due keeping it in my wallet.

I did not mean to suggest that I would use my LTCF for a means of ID other than if challenged to produced it for reason related to CC. Although, I don't know why just for ID sake it is not viable.

What would be the few problems?

Thanks for your reply.

(York County)

Second, where would you plan on needing an ID? the reason i asked is because my LTCF would probably be the LAST form of ID i would ever show anyone, unless i was in a situation where i was asked to produce it (for the appropriate authority, of course).
    I have used my ltcf as a form of ID before, I don't see any difference between using that or any other ID

The problem i see it that I CC for a reason, so nobody knows I have a weapon. Using my LTCF as an ID lets someone know i have a weapon, which is not what i want to do under any circumstance. The less people know the better off i am, in my opinion.

I dont walk much, no do i think i fit the profile of a suspicious person, so there are a very limited number of circumstances where i would need to produce an ID. In any of those circumstances, i think that a drivers license is more appropriate.

If i knew your scenario, i would probably be better suited to answer the question.

let me get this straight. if you leave your wallet in the car and a police officer asked you for your ID you're going to pull out your gun and remove it from your holster and then dig around the holster for your ID?

regardless of what is legal or not I would recommend you carry your regular ID with you at all times. it might save you a lot of grief one day
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

(Bucks County)

I'm an American citizen. I NEED no id. I do NOT have to produce id for anyone (except when driving, or when carrying a weapon in those situations where an LTCF is needed). And this is how it is, and how it SHOULD be! People who feel the need to comply with Law Enforcements "orders" to produce id, well, they are sheep! Sheep get eaten by the wolves. Just my opinion!

(Mifflin County)

the reason i asked is because my LTCF would probably be the LAST form of ID i would ever show anyone,
    I've used mine as ID at airport security a couple times when flying before. Mainly to see if I'd get any different reaction than when I've used my driver's license. I didn't, other than one TSA agent complaining about it not having an expiration date. My current one does, but that one just had the issue date, and "Expires 5 years from date of issue" I guess the agent failed math, ended up pulling out the driver's license....

(Erie County)

I was wondering the same thing when I was traveling through an airport a couple weeks ago. Would my CCW be valid government issue ID? I decided to show my driver's license instead. I figured no need for the extra attention.

Usually when I leave the house I'm in my car anyway so I never leave without my driver's license. If you walk everywhere you go, then I don't see how just carrying a copy of your CCW license would be a problem.

I'd check with your local sheriff's office just to be absolutely sure.

Lastly, I wouldn't tuck my permit into my holster. What if you ever had to draw your weapon? You'd risk losing your permit. Plus, you should never put anything in your holster except the gun its supposed to carry and nothing else!

(Tioga County)

Interesting about expiration date I have used my military ID on flights and its says indefinite for an expiration date never had an issue. Then again I haven't flown in years.
    USNRET '61-'81

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast