Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Shoulder holster opinion.

I am contemplating getting a shoulder holster for my EDC XD 45 compact. I drive a lot and carry and thought it would be more comfortable and accessible.

My choices are narrowed down to Galco Miami Classic or something by Maker Leather. Any opinions on either?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Shoulder holster opinion.

Not exactly firsthand experience, but I have only heard good things about Galco's shoulder holsters.

(Bucks County)

I have a Miami classic for my glock 19. You won't be disappointed.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

(Luzerne County)

I have heard good and bad about both. Aker seems less pricey and I really like the wider shoulder straps. Was hoping someone had an Aker along with the Galco users. I hate buying something without being able to try it.

(Mercer County)

I use a Vertical Shoulder Holster from Galco for my Delta Elite and Smith 610.
    Like the VSH for driving or daily wear as this is one comfortable Shoulder holster.

I also use the Dirty Harry from Lawman Leather for N-Frame Smiths. Well built and comfortable set up
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Lawrence County)

You won't find a more comfortable way to carry on body while driving than a shoulder rig. I have the Miami Classic and don't have a problem with the straps but if you think you would like the wider straps they also make the jackass rig. The pictures of the Miami Classic II look like the straps may be wider also but I've never seen one in person to verify.

(Delaware County)

I have the Miami Classic II for my 1911. I wore it all day every day for a week while vacationing/sightseeing along Skyline Drive. No complaints, though I *might* opt for wider straps over the shoulders if they were available - an all-steel 1911 Govt with 8+1 230 grain is not a lightweight.

The only difference I recall between the Miami Classic and the Miami Classic II is the magazine carrier. The original holds them vertically, baseplate down, with a snap flap at the bottom of each one. The flap MAY (I'd have to look it up) limit you to 8-round mags. The MCII carries the mags horizontally, baseplate forward, with no flaps, just a pair of retention screws between the mags - my 10-round mags fit just fine. I think the original Jackass rig had wider straps over the shoulders, but don't quote me on that.

(Luzerne County)

After carrying my Redhawk 44 mag in a shoulder holster for two weeks straight while in Yellowstone I would opt for wider straps at the shoulders. It just gives you better weight distribution. My third week of the trip I was in Glacier and I switched to a Diamond Dave chest holster. Best I ever had.

I had read from a few people that the Aker Leather products are significantly higher quality than Galco and less expensive. I was hoping to run into someone here that had some experience with Aker as well.
    Last edited by Brudog; January 23rd, 2014 at 01:33 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    I use a Vertical Shoulder Holster from Galco for my Delta Elite and Smith 610.
    Like the VSH for driving or daily wear as this is one comfortable Shoulder holster.

I also use the Dirty Harry from Lawman Leather for N-Frame Smiths. Well built and comfortable set up
    I contemplated the vertical model just because I am somewhat leery of pointing a loaded gun at someone behind me. I have a vertical for my redhawk 44 mag from Falco in Europe. It allows the gun to swivel forward to make the draw easier and then rotate back into full vertical position when holstering but the leather and hang of the holster sucks. Super thin and the grip gets pushed outward killing concealment.

Now you have me wondering if I should go vertical for my EDC gun which is an XD45 Compact. I do have one extended mag for it as well in addition to the standard mags.

(Cumberland County)

http://www.mitchrosen.com/products/express-line/

Check out the Mitch Rosen Express line. Still not exactly cheap, but excellent quality.
    Step up to the standard line for the best leather out there. It costs as much as your gun though.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast