Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who is casting bullets? I have questions

I'm interested in casting bullets for reloading. If I got set up I would want to do it for the same reasons I reload- affordable target shooting in bigger calibers, and the ability to maximize my accuracy for paper and effectiveness on game with custom loads. Also a big factor would be the ability to withstand componant price raises and backorders so I could always keep shooting.

From those with experience-

How hard or expensive is it getting to find lead tin and antimony or whatever alloys you use?

How much of a learning curve was there in terms of cleaning out leaded barrels and melting down tons of poorly cast bullets?

What calibers do you cast? Is it cheaper to just buy roger's hardcast or something (@ lets say $10 an hour for your time+materials)

Do you cast for economy or for the satisfaction of it or to be able to use large meplat hardcast hunting rounds/kieth bullets or some custom or exotic shape?

What equipment would you recommend?

Thanks!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Who is casting bullets? I have questions

I use wheel weights with 1% tin to sweeten the mix. Finding them is hit and miss. Sometimes I score big for just a little leg work. Sometimes I only get a bit a have to pay for them to boot. The tin I order from straight from Roto-metals. If you're worried about the cost of your time just order their hardball and be done with it.

If you are handy at all you'll figure it out pretty quickly and their is a ton of experience here and other places online like cast boolits to help you trouble shoot. Casting good bullets is not hard. Making ammo is not hard. Running plain base cast bullets hard (high velocity) can be hard without leading. My experience is anything 1100fps and under is a piece of cake. Gas checked bullets can be run harder without much trouble.

9mm, .38/.357, .40, .45auto, A few .454 with a borrowed mold that was already a POS. Need to get my own. If you're worried about the cost of your time just buy them and be done with it.

Yes, yes, yes.

Most of my casting equipment is Lee.

Good luck,
    Doug

(Clarion County)

Lurk over here for awhile, anything and everything you'll need to know: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ This group is the masters class: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/
    I started small with a $20 Lee handgun mold and an iron pot on a coleman stove. Started with wadcutters for revolver unsized using Alox tumble lube. Proper bullet fit, appropriate load to BHN of bullet has yielded minimal leading. Actually none in my rifles to speak of.
    There are some good vendors on the above sites that sell lead for casting. Used wheel weights are an option but learn how to avoid the ones not suitable for casting. $25/bucket here that, up to now, has been yielding 60-80 lbs, of material. Would not recommend Ebay as I was mislead early on with some lead but was too inexperienced to spot the problem right off.
    It is something I really enjoy and have gotten into, so time/$ is not a factor to me. But I believe the independence feeling is a major plus. I now cast for all my handguns and have a couple rifles dedicated to cast. My equipment has probably paid for itself a couple times.
    Like reloading though there are things to learn. It is a tad more than just pouring lead into a mold. Then again that's what makes it so fascinating.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Carbon County)

i cast for ever caliber weapon I own.

1-38 in 140wc 150swc 158swc gs
    2-357 in see above
    3-45ACP 200swc 230 rnd nose
    4-5.56 55gr gc
    5-308 150gc
    6-40sw flat nose
    I use RCBS molds
    I have tons of stuff for castings started small and blow up. I use only wheel weights

(Adams County)

I have been casting since 1972. I started with a dipper over a wood stove. like I have always said if you have a job that you get paid 24/7 and have to clockout to reload or cast then it is not worth your time. but if it cuts into your t.v. time then you are farther ahead.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Who is casting bullets? I have questions

I mostly use the Lee 6 cavity molds. For $36 you can really crank out the bullets fast. Check out Midsouth shooters supply. For me Lee molds, their sizing dies and liquid Alox are the way to go. Have the Lyman ladle and thermometer too.

For common bullets like 9mm and 45 round nose you might not pay for your time vs. just buying them. Where you really make out is with specialty bullets (especially the ones you mentioned with a wide Metplat). I cast the Lee 300 grain bullet for my .45 Colt. Hits like a sledgehammer! Heavy bullets for rifles are definitely worth casting. (I usually avoid gas checks though. they are expensive and (for me) a PITA. Just shoot the bullet without them.

I use a turkey frier to melt the lead then (carefully) transfer it to a portable electric burner (from Goodwill for $5) with some channel locks. You dont want to cast from propane because if the melt gets too hot it will give off toxic fumes. Heat with electric and it will never reach that temperature. I only cast on warm days outside on my deck. Don't recommend doing it indoors. While your at Goodwill buy a small stainless steel pot to melt in. Do not EVER use the handle! It will break. Use channel locks or vicegrips (and gloves!) to pick it up with the rim.

The best part about casting is when "hard times" hit. Were just getting out of one now but it WILL happen again. As long as you have thousands of primers stocked up and lots of powder you can keep shooting no matter what happens.

As for getting lead with a little work you can usually scrounge it for free or low cost. Sorry I can't tell you more.......You live too close to me
    But here's one hint. If you belong to an indoor shooting range go to one of their work days and help them dig out the bullet trap. You used to be able to get wheel weights for free too. Probably can't anymore.........Didn't check lately. I have at least a ton in my basement.
    Last edited by Delkal; January 19th, 2014 at 07:38 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Here's another place with a lot of good information on casting.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Doug

(Beaver County)

I just started a commercial casting business. If your looking for lead I have 92 lead-6 antimony-2 tin alloy in stock. I keep roughly 5000lbs on hand. Waiting on my 06 FFL to sell bullets but I can sell you the alloy if needed. Alloy sells for $2.25 a pound. You can PM or email me if you have more questions.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; January 20th, 2014 at 09:46 AM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Luzerne County)

I have been casting bullets for a couple of decades now. Started off with a camping stove and a little iron pot.
    I use Lee molds, CBE brass molds, RCBS molds, Lyman molds.
    Most often I cast .452 SWCs for my 1911. There are lots of others....too numerous to list - from .223 to 12 gauge slugs. I also make birdshot for my Trap loads.
    All you need is alloy (I have access to an indoor range and use the range lead.), a heat source (electric plate - though now I use a temperature controlled casting furnace) , a pot (old cast iron soup pot will do), a mould, lube (liquid alox is easy to use. Over the years I have come into possession of three Lyman lubricizers. They are set for different bullets and lubes. ), and a dipper.
    Lately, I have been swaging .45s.....another way to make good bullets.
    About dippers.....the absolute best dipper is the Rowell #1 bottom pour ladle....worth every penny.
    http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/...le_bottom1.htm
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; January 20th, 2014 at 09:13 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Delaware County)

If you want to figure your time as money, then it is definitely cheaper to buy commercial cast. But my work doesn't allow me to earn money 24 hours a day. I scrounge and cast in time I would otherwise waste on TV, the internet or similar.

Lead scrounging is hit or miss. Some lucky souls stumble into a great local source and never look back. Others have to search and pick up drips and drabs wherever they find it.

I heartily recommend that you secure several hundred pounds of lead and a reasonable prospect for more before you invest in casting equipment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast