Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: References...

Default References...

It is renewal time for me and I see that even for renewals they still have the references requirements.

The people I originally used for references when I first received my LTCF have since moved out of the area and I have lost touch with them.

Unfortunately, these days my circle of shooting friends is pretty much non-existant, primarily because I hardly get out to a range because of my work schedule (I shoot in my backyard most of the time when I do go shooting).

I am friendly with several co-workers outside of work, but am really not very comfortable with approaching them and asking about using them as a reference.

Does the sheriff (in my case Bucks County), ever actually call references people use??

(Delaware County)

Default Re: References...

In DELCO they called my references for my initial application but not for the renewal. That said, references do not have to be from your home county, there is no one anywhere you could use? All they are doing is vouching for your character. The sheriff is not supposed to tell your references the reason for the check, ie gun license, although DELCO did when they checked the first time.

No firearms people I know well enough to ask. Just font get out shooting enough these days to make those connections.

Plenty of non-firearms people would vouch for me, but I hate to ask them.

(Berks County)

in berks none of my references have ever been called nor have I ever been called (I've been a reference a few times) and I'm going on my 3rd renewal

since I'm a nice guy for a box of 9mm ammo i'll gladly be a reference for ya.....

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    No firearms people I know well enough to ask. Just font get out shooting enough these days to make those connections.

Plenty of non-firearms people would vouch for me, but I hate to ask them.
    On my initial application, neither of my references were firearms people, but they were friends, they didn't have a problem with it and I told them to expect the call. The sheriff asked them if I has anger problems and if I drank too much. My renewal had firearms friends but neither was contacted.

(Delaware County)

One of my references was from work, the other in Louisiana. Neither was called. Mrs.K's references were the same one in Louisiana and one in Florida. Neither of them got called, either. I'm not sure about Florida person, but I know my 2 are gun people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendog View Post
    in berks none of my references have ever been called nor have I ever been called (I've been a reference a few times) and I'm going on my 3rd renewal

since I'm a nice guy for a box of 9mm ammo i'll gladly be a reference for ya.....
    Ditto... They didn't call anyone I used either. I also went to the Substation at the Reading airport and was out the door in 20 minutes!! No parking fees, no long walk and no line! Best experience ever!

(Bucks County)

I've never had references contacted in Bucks. One time, I forgot to bring address information for my references, they handed me the phone book to look it up so I wouldn't have to come back.

(Bucks County)

Being as Bucks does instant issue I doubt they will call your references. I have never had anyone contacted on my 2 applications.

(Chester County)

I have never had any of my references contacted.

However, I have been contacted on two applications for which I was a reference. One in Bucks and once in Delco, but neither in the last 10 years, so take it for the little it is worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast