Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default 12 gauge 3 1/2 or 3 inch shotgun?

I am looking into getting an autoloading 12 gauge. At the top of my list is the a5 and super venchi but i hear they don't cycle lighter 2 3/4 bird shotshells well is this true?

2nd question is the 3 1/2" auto loader worth getting or should I stick with the 3". I want the all around beat shotgun i can get. I hunt everything there is and shoot trap, sporting clays and skeet often.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: 12 gauge 3 1/2 or 3 inch shotgun?

2nd question is the 3 1/2" auto loader worth getting or should I stick with the 3". I want the all around beat shotgun i can get. I hunt everything there is and shoot trap, sporting clays and skeet often.
    I have never understood the need for a 3 1/2" 12 gauge. Then, again, I don't hunt waterfowl.
    There is very little that you cannot pursue effectively with a standard 2 3/4" load. Three inchers are just gravy added to that. 3.5".....nah.
    If the guns are not reliable with 2 3/4" loads, then they are not very much the "all around" gun you want.
    Shooting 16 yard Trap and regulation Skeet require the shorter shells.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

There are some stout loads available in 3" which have a shot payload fairly close to the 3 1/2". (like within 1/8-1/4oz)

I have shot a decent amount of trap with a shotgun chambered in 2 3/4 and 3" and it worked fine. Never had or saw the need for a 3 1/2". You will be using 2 3/4" for shooting clay.

If you do a lot of shooting at high flying geese then maybe you want to look at the 3 1/2". Otherwise IMO stick to the 3".

(Delaware County)

As a person who owns a Rem 870 3 1/2" Mag I'd say don't pay extra for one. The 3" will most likely handle any of your needs. I've fired a lot of powerful weapons over the years but I must say the Federal 3 1/2" Turkey load with 2 1/4 oz of shot is just about at the top of my "unpleasant" list. It hurt my teeth....

I have some 3" 2oz Turkey Loads. I believe 2oz is as much as you can get in 3".

(Chester County)

The A-5 Browning will cycle the light loads. You take off the fore stock and switch the bevel washer and friction piece for the light loads and then back when you want to shoot the heavier loads.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_A-5_running.htm

The 3 inch chambered shotguns should be able to handle anything you want to shoot.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    The A-5 Browning will cycle the light loads. You take off the fore stock and switch the bevel washer and friction piece for the light loads and then back when you want to shoot the heavier loads.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_A-5_running.htm

The 3 inch chambered shotguns should be able to handle anything you want to shoot.
    He didn't say if he was buying the old one or new, I assume if its a toss between a supevinchi and A5 he is talking the new one. Get the super vinchi.

(Bucks County)

If you're going to hunt pheasant or grouse with it, think of the extra weight toting around the 3 1/2 around all day. No thanks.

I am a die hard Benelli guy. I have a Super Black Eagle. Shoots anything and you don't have to mess with changing any parts.

My theory, it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Prime example. I was duck hunting in Arkansas and the birds were landing at the outer most edge of our spread on a river. They just wouldn't come into the area we had hoped. Starting to engage ducks at 40 yard with 2 3/4 and 3" is not my ideal set up. So, I was able to switch to 3 1/2 and we banged out 28 birds that day. None of them closer than 40 yards. Could the other two shot shell size worked? Nope...because I started with 3" with no luck. They were just to far. We are talking ducks, not geese. Imagine the same thing happening with geese? Do you want a 3" or 3 1/2?

Just my opinion...get the 3 1/2.

CL

(Monroe County)

I had a benelli nova with 3.5" chamber......those are some hard hitting loads!

However for me it wasn't needed but if you do want to hunt with it then opting for it isn't a bad deal. Plus it adds value to the gun down the road....food for thought.

Side note: I do find 3.5" ammo much harder to find if it is not waterfowl season, compared to 2 3/4 and 3" of course.
    "If I had six hours to cut down a tree, I would take four hours sharpening my axe" Abraham Lincoln