Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Carrier

(Allegheny County)

Default New Carrier

I am new to the forum, although I have lurked here for quite some time. My wife gave me my first handgun for Christmas, a Glock 27. Owning a handgun and getting a license to carry it, have been something I've wanted to do for years. I always made excuses that handguns was another expensive hobby.

Well not anymore. I submitted my application to carry on New Years Day and will be heading to the Courthouse this morning with my yellow card.

I have read so many interesting experiences, opinions, facts, studies, reports, etc from this forum and the information contained in each one has been valuable in some way.

I have the theory, now to execute! I am prohibited from carrying or having a firearm at my place of employment, but I plan on carrying often and everywhere else!

Great day to all.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: New Carrier

Congrats on joining the crowd...both the forum and those of us who carry.

You mention being new to gun ownership, but have you ever shot a handgun? Even if you have, I'd suggest some trips to the range and some training before carrying.

(Allegheny County)

I should've stated that I am not new to handling firearms or shooting them. I first shouldered a .22 rifle at 6 or 7. Hunted for a few years from 12-16.

I am also an Army Veteran of nearly a decade. I can't even count the number of 5.56 mm rounds I've sent down range. Over the years of my Army career I helped train basic marksmanship, weapon safety etc.

I realize that constantly carrying is quite a bit different from my military experience and I look forward to becoming as educated and as proficient as I can.

I put 100 rounds through the G27. I am proud to say that I have not lost my marksmanship skills! At least at 25'!!!!

I will be looking for some courses/classes that cover self defense, home defense, situational awareness, concealed carry, etc. Some of it may be things I already know, some of it will be totally new.

Gotta get moving!!!!!!

(Mercer County)

Congrats and enjoy
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Berks County)

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on applying for your LTCF. Once you get it, carry safe and carry often!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Chester County)

The more trips to the range and rounds you put through your EDC will greatly increase your comfort with that particular gun.

I started reloading just so I could afford to shoot as much as I felt I needed to in order to maintain proficiency.

Than got a bit out of hand and now I shoot between 300-500 rounds a week.

While that may be more than is needed, shoot your EDC until it feels as natural as pointing the mouse on your computer.

Enjoy and be safe.

(Tioga County)

In regards to reloading, I got into it years ago to the point of molding my bullets. When I first got into it. I calculated that with the simple press I got and the other stuff needed I would need to reload 2000 rounds of 45ACP amortize my investment. I never did amortize at 200 as I kept buying more stuff and better equipment. then I got into rifle stuff and added more equipment. Did it pay off. I have no idea. but for the rifle stuff I increased my accuracy from over 2 MOA to under .5 MOA. for long range varmint hunting that is a desirable result.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    In regards to reloading, I got into it years ago to the point of molding my bullets. When I first got into it. I calculated that with the simple press I got and the other stuff needed I would need to reload 2000 rounds of 45ACP amortize my investment. I never did amortize at 200 as I kept buying more stuff and better equipment. then I got into rifle stuff and added more equipment. Did it pay off. I have no idea. but for the rifle stuff I increased my accuracy from over 2 MOA to under .5 MOA. for long range varmint hunting that is a desirable result.
    I will start by admitting that I had to look up what MOA meant, but that is not really the point.

I started with a cheap Lee Press Kit for $100, buying supplies for 1000 rounds at a time.

9mm was selling for $15/box of 50 and I was reloading at $6.15/ box, so it only took me 12 boxes (600 rounds to break even).

After reloading 5000 round on that press, I stepped up to a Dillon 550b for $400, and started buying my supplies in larger quantity. I now reload 9mm at $5.39/box and it still sells for $15, so the Dillon was paid for in the first 2100 rounds. I have about 25,000 rounds through the Dillon and supplies on hand for about 10,000.

So, even if I stopped buying supplies today, I saved almost $800 with the Lee and over $6,000 with the Dillon.

Sorry to jack the thread with reloading talk, but it may be helpful to see the kind of figures actual shooter are working with if the idea of reloading interest you at all.

More to the point of practicing with your EDC. Shooting as much as I do, I can empty 10+1 from a G26 in a 3" target at 10 yards before my Airborn buddy can slow fire 3 rounds from his G30 at the same target on the next lane.
    Last edited by Sshuker; January 17th, 2014 at 12:51 AM.

I will be looking for some courses/classes that cover self defense, home defense, situational awareness, concealed carry, etc. Some of it may be things I already know, some of it will be totally new.
    To me, this is the important stuff. Training. We can carry, but without knowing the rules and establishing a "mind set", things could end up not the way we would have thought. Congrats on your decision!!
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(York County)

Exercising freedom...ain't it grand

III% - Stand and be counted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast