Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default SR45 striker operation

Does anyone know if the striker locks back from inertia when fired? I have not shot mine yet. No time to get to the range. While using snap caps I found the striker sticking out while clambering the snap cap. It will chamber if you let it fly but the snap cap has to jump out of the extractor and over the nose of the striker. I can't see this as a good thing. If you let it close without anything in it the striker gets retracted at the last few percentage of travel and stays that way. Thanks in advance.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SR45 striker operation

(Berks County)

Yes I know about that thread. It compleatly misses what I'm asking about. The glock striker retracts right away. It doesn't stick through the firing pin hole after setting off the primer. Even the animation in a link in that other thread shows this, and I see it on my own Glocks. The ruger SR however it stays full out until caught by the sear on return and that is after the round is stripped from the mag and is most of the way into the chamber. It's like an open bolt machine gun at that point. The only thing is the open bolt doesn't slip the cartrage rim under the extractor. The SR does. Now the twelve o clock position of the case rim is trapped by the protruding striker and under the extractor on the side. What has to give here is Ofcorse the rim has to snap out of the extractor and as the case slides up the face the striker is caught in the nick of time and retracted away from the primer. I find that hairy and hard on the striker, extractor and case rim. Now if the striker has enough weight and speed I could see the momentum of the striker keeping it going at the end of slide travel and locking it back. I can do this with my finger at slide lock. I was just wondering if someone out here actually knows as it going to be some time before I get the shoot the darn thing. I have searched this topic and I come up empty. I called ruger and they sorta confirmed my idea without being specific, they just said it works different when you shoot it. thanks for the link I did figure it might be hard for me to explane the thing properly. If it is inertia I think it would be susceptible to dirty striker channel problems with bent striker tips and broken extractors. I guess that's my whole reason for the post. Maybe I should sneak out back and bust a cap, I do live in the woods. but I'm just gonna wait for a free day and go to the club.

(Allegheny County)

OK. Thought maybe it would be of help.
    I don't have an answer and thought it may be in there.

(Berks County)

When I get a chance I'm gonna test it out and I'll post what I find. Thanks.