Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default New to IDPA in Pittsburgh

I have been living in Pittsburgh for about a year now and I would like to get into IDPA shooting. I understand a few gun clubs around here host events but I'm not really sure how to register or what I need to do. I have been shooting for a few years but I have never done any competitive shooting. Any info or advice is appreciated.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New to IDPA in Pittsburgh

I imagine it's pretty much the same everywhere. Just decide where you want to go for your first match. Then, get on their website and find out what dates they have matches. Most clubs seem to have one match per month and they usually have it on the same day, not date. For example, the third Saturday of each month. You also need to find out when the registration time is, which is usually about an hour before the match starts. It would be good to go early and help set up. The people that normally do this will appreciate this, plus you can get some good info about the matches, shooting, and equipment.

Make sure to bring at least 3 mags assuming you are shooting a semi-auto. Can't hurt to take 200 rounds of ammo even though you'll probably only shoot around 100. You will need a good strong-side holster, and it would be advantageous if you had at least a single mag pouch, preferably a dual mag pouch. You can get by without a mag pouch, but your reloads will probably be slow using your pockets. No big deal, since you will want to focus on hitting the targets your first time out.

Just pay attention to the Safety Officers, and listen closely to their directions especially after finishing a stage. Again, assuming you are shooting a semi-auto, you will need to keep the gun pointed down range, drop the mag, clear the chamber, then pull the trigger, then holster. Go slow, and have fun! Good luck!
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Allegheny County)

I did'nt notice your posts , from 3 weeks ago.
    Welcome to the forum ,"CLAY"
    Hoping that you find some good clubs & shoots to attend. Unfortunately, my club , discontinued their adult shoot.... more money comes from the NRA ,for youth programs.

Here … Hold my drink; and watch this.

(Lawrence County)

Plenty of clubs shoot IDPA and USPSA in this area. IDPA has more restrictive rules for equipment so start with there rule book and you'll be pretty good to go for USPSA as well.

It may be easier to tell us what you have on hand as far as guns and gear so we can guide you.

Lycanshootsboththrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Plenty of clubs shoot IDPA and USPSA in this area. IDPA has more restrictive rules for equipment so start with there rule book and you'll be pretty good to go for USPSA as well.

It may be easier to tell us what you have on hand as far as guns and gear so we can guide you.

Lycanshootsboththrope
    I planned on using my stock Sig 1911 (5" with rail. I have 4_8 round magazines and a cheap own paddle holster (for now).
    Last edited by gurwellclay; January 11th, 2014 at 07:26 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by gurwellclay View Post
    I planned on using my stock Sig 1911 (5" with rail. I have 4_8 round magazines and a cheap own paddle holster (for now).
    Well, that's easy enough. You'll shoot Custom Defensive Pistol in IDPA and Single Stack division in USPSA. 4 mags is plenty for IDPA. I'd prefer 6 in USPSA for that division.

Power factor of 165 in both games. All factory ammo will reach that easily. No bull barrels in a 5" gun in either game.

Max weight of 43oz in both games. In both games the gun must fit in a box, but as long as you're stock and don't have a full length dustcover, you'll be fine (no rails over 3.25 inches in IDPA).

In USPSA and IDPA the frontstrap of the gun must be above the belt and in USPSA the mags and gun cannot sit more than 2" from your body. In IDPA the gun must sit within 3/4" of your body. (for males. Females have slightly different requirements). The gun and mags will be worn behind the centerline of the body in IDPA and behind the hip bone in USPSA.

I could go on, but basically no race type gear in either game for those divisions. In most cases, basic...even cheap... Kydex is fastest and will take you as far as you want to go.

That should get you started and now you will probably have more questions. There are plenty of us here that shoot one...the other...or both games and are always looking for new shooters. It won't be hard to find a mentor wherever you go.

Lycanaskawaythrope

(Allegheny County)

We have an IDPA match at PMSC last Sunday of every month.

Come on out.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    We have an IDPA match at PMSC last Sunday of every month.

Come on out.
    14 minutes. We're slacking here fellas.......

Lycannohelpanymorethrope

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    14 minutes. We're slacking here fellas.......

Lycannohelpanymorethrope
    we are planning a multi gun IPDA match for Jan. Not sure how it will turn out, but Im def planning a stage.

Shawnonlygameintowninthewinter.L

(Allegheny County)

i'll jump in and hijack a little bit.

i too want to start getting into competing.

the calendar for PMSC does not list an IDPA match. what day and time? i would like to come watch to get a decent understanding of how things run.

i have a few 1911s and a few sig 226 9mms i would use.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast