Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Default Opinion on See-Thru Rings

I am thinking about putting see thru rings on my ruger american rimfire 22lr. Has anyone had an experience with these specific leupold rings?

http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Riflem...ds=22+see+thru

The ruger comes with a 3/8 dovetail and it is also drilled and tapped for weaver bases so I do have some options.

I was leaning towards using the 3/8 dovetail just to keep the height of scope down somewhat in comparison to using the weaver bases. Optic wise I have a Nikon Prostaff rimfire scope on order and just need to find some good rings and maybe bases.

Any help would be great.

Default Re: Opinion on See-Thru Rings

Quote Originally Posted by psucivil View Post
    I am thinking about putting see thru rings on my ruger american rimfire 22lr. Has anyone had an experience with these specific leupold rings?

http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Riflem...ds=22+see+thru

The ruger comes with a 3/8 dovetail and it is also drilled and tapped for weaver bases so I do have some options.

I was leaning towards using the 3/8 dovetail just to keep the height of scope down somewhat in comparison to using the weaver bases. Optic wise I have a Nikon Prostaff rimfire scope on order and just need to find some good rings and maybe bases.

Any help would be great.
    buy weavers and keep the scope height down with standard, non see through rings
    Montani Semper Liberi

Not a fan of 3/8 dovetail even for .22lr, just not enough real estate to grab onto IMO. I would bolt on Weaver sections and use the see thru rings if that is what you want.

These see thru rings are lower profile than the Leupold Rifleman see thru rings. Links have the black matte finish in both standard and extended but the also have gloss black and silver rings.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/171...ru-rings-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/407...ed-rings-matte

The taller Leaupold rifleman rings
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136...s-weaver-style

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    Forgot to mention that the gun has great iron sights that I would still like to be able to use hence the see thru rings.

I dont want to limit the functionality of the iron sights or the scope with the use of the see thru rings but that may be asking for a lot.

Forgot to mention that the gun has great iron sights that I would still like to be able to use hence the see thru rings.

I dont want to limit the functionality of the iron sights or the scope with the use of the see thru rings but that may be asking for a lot.
    i understand and have been in the same boat but i think that the compromise you end up making makes the situation less than optimal for the irons and the scope. further, you get used to shouldering the rifle a certain way but end up completely changing your dynamics when switching between the two options. some people love see throughs and others hate them. i love them in theory but in practice they just aren't for me. if you are worried about up close shooting get a lower power variable scope. seems you already have your mind made up and i say whatever works best for you. just my 2 cents.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Lawrence County)

i understand and have been in the same boat but i think that the compromise you end up making makes the situation less than optimal for the irons and the scope. further, you get used to shouldering the rifle a certain way but end up completely changing your dynamics when switching between the two options. some people love see throughs and others hate them. i love them in theory but in practice they just aren't for me. if you are worried about up close shooting get a lower power variable scope. seems you already have your mind made up and i say whatever works best for you. just my 2 cents.
    Thats my biggest fear is that comprise and having to change my checkweld to adjust. I have some weaver bases and rings laying around so if I dont like the leupold see thrus I can always switch them out and 22 wont break the bank getting the zero back. I am not dead set on the see thru rings just looking for opinions since I really enjoy the iron sights on this rifle and they are a nice change of pace. Another option is weaver tip offs or detachables. I have never used them and have read that some guys have great luck with them holding zero and some guys cant stand them.

I may not even mount a scope if I can't find a combination that I enjoy using comfortably and consistently.

Thats my biggest fear is that comprise and having to change my checkweld to adjust. I have some weaver bases and rings laying around so if I dont like the leupold see thrus I can always switch them out and 22 wont break the bank getting the zero back. I am not dead set on the see thru rings just looking for opinions since I really enjoy the iron sights on this rifle and they are a nice change of pace. Another option is weaver tip offs or detachables. I have never used them and have read that some guys have great luck with them holding zero and some guys cant stand them.

I may not even mount a scope if I can't find a combination that I enjoy using comfortably and consistently.
    leave that gun irons

sounds like a good excuse to buy another 22!

get a magnum
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Somerset County)

What he said.

Dale

(Allegheny County)

leave that gun irons

sounds like a good excuse to buy another 22!

get a magnum

Heh. I'm not much of a scope guy, but I have over/under mounts on a 22 and while it does give you "both worlds" it does not give you the BEST of both worlds.
    Using the scope is a bit awkward. It's fine for a few shots, but not real comfy keeping your head up slightly to use the scope a lot.

For my other 22s I'm sticking with either a scope, OR irons.