Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Well I guess that CC will be a reality in Illinois. We went to the website and filled out the application. Believe it or not the process was smooth and with out a hitch.
    After all of these years and many near misses it is up and running. Now for the wait for issuance, up to 120 days.
    The jealousy is setting in... I live in IL but as a PA resident on permanent duty station active military orders in IL I can't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by kwc View Post
    The jealousy is setting in... I live in IL but as a PA resident on permanent duty station active military orders in IL I can't apply.
    Sorry to hear that you are excluded. We need to put this on the list to be fixed.
    There are a lot of things to be fixed but we have our foot in the door.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(York County)

im happy thats good shit

(Chester County)

You sure about that?

Couldn't find anything that directly addresses active military in the law:
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...7&ChapterID=39

but it should be noted that for Federal firearm commerce law purposes, you ARE an IL resident:

18 USC 921 Definitions
    (b) For the purposes of this chapter, a member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his permanent duty station is located.
    27 CFR 478.11 Definitions:
    State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An individual re- sides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual’s State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, as stated in 18 U.S.C. 921(b).
    IANAL

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    You sure about that?

Couldn't find anything that directly addresses active military in the law:
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...7&ChapterID=39

but it should be noted that for Federal firearm commerce law purposes, you ARE an IL resident:
    Yep, unfortunately Illinois doesn't use the federal definition (as it applies to firearm purchase or transfer.) Illinois considers residents only to be those who hold an IL driver's license or an IL state ID. Their online web-based application is built this way, too.

On the other hand, I'm glad PA considers me a resident and has issued me a resident LCTF. Unfortunately that doesn't help much here in IL.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Well I guess that CC will be a reality in Illinois. We went to the website and filled out the application. Believe it or not the process was smooth and with out a hitch.
    After all of these years and many near misses it is up and running. Now for the wait for issuance, up to 120 days.
    I'm looking forward to hearing how this all works out. Best to you!

(Chester County)

Congratulations!

(Chester County)

Yep, unfortunately Illinois doesn't use the federal definition (as it applies to firearm purchase or transfer.) Illinois considers residents only to be those who hold an IL driver's license or an IL state ID. Their online web-based application is built this way, too.

On the other hand, I'm glad PA considers me a resident and has issued me a resident LCTF. Unfortunately that doesn't help much here in IL.

I didn't find any definition in the statutes [430 ILCS 66/5] as to what constitutes an IL resident for purposes of the Firearm Carry Act. But the definition of a non-resident is given as

[430 ILCS 66/40] Non-resident license applications.
    (a) For the purposes of this Section, "non-resident" means a person who has not resided within this State for more than 30 days and resides in another state or territory.
    I presume that you don't commute from out-of-state to your PCS and that you've been there for over 30 days. That makes you a non-non-resident = resident.

Furthermore the qualifications [430 ILCS 66/25] do not list IL issued ID other than possessing an FOID.

I think you have good grounds to pursue a license as an IL resident should you decide to pursue it; the scenario for active duty personnel might have been a simple implementation oversight that should be brought to light. As to the DLs, most if not all states recognize that military at their PCS location can and do continue to maintain licensure in their 'home state of record' - not to be confused with state of residence. Regulations and websites implementations of the Act are derivatives that cannot change or controvert the statue.

"Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"
    IANAL

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    I didn't find any definition in the statutes [430 ILCS 66/5] as to what constitutes an IL resident for purposes of the Firearm Carry Act. But the definition of a non-resident is given as

I presume that you don't commute from out-of-state to your PCS and that you've been there for over 30 days. That makes you a non-non-resident = resident.

Furthermore the qualifications [430 ILCS 66/25] do not list IL issued ID other than possessing an FOID.

I think you have good grounds to pursue a license as an IL resident should you decide to pursue it; the scenario for active duty personnel might have been a simple implementation oversight that should be brought to light. As to the DLs, most if not all states recognize that military at their PCS location can and do continue to maintain licensure in their 'home state of record' - not to be confused with state of residence. Regulations and websites implementations of the Act are derivatives that cannot change or controvert the statue.

"Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"
    I agree with all points 100%. The biggest challenge is figuring out how to "pursue" short of hiring a lawyer. The online app won't let me proceed without an IL DL, my emails and (snail mail) letters to the Illinois State Police have gone unanswered, and I've received no response yet to my letters to the state rep & senator for the district in which I reside.

(Philadelphia County)

Congrats!

Do you think when it comes in the mail you can post a pic of what it looks like? I wonder if will be made of gold?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast