Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So I'm looking to reload 30-06 and .303

So with .303 surplus a thing of the past and with 30-06 surplus costing a pretty penny these days I am trying to get into reloading, which I have wanted to do for awhile. These would be the primary cartridges I would be making, but eventually I would like to do 5.56, 7.62x39, assorted handgun rounds etc.

I have no experience in reloading so am hesitant to go for a progressive. I know I would like to reload faster than a single stage press allows, and I am leaning towards a turret press. I have been looking at getting one of the lee turret kits, does that seem to be a good idea for a beginner and for reloading large rifle rounds? Also, if I do get that kid what else would I need to start pumping out ammo?
    Repeal the 17th Amendment

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: So I'm looking to reload 30-06 and .303

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat222 View Post
    So with .303 surplus a thing of the past and with 30-06 surplus costing a pretty penny these days I am trying to get into reloading, which I have wanted to do for awhile. These would be the primary cartridges I would be making, but eventually I would like to do 5.56, 7.62x39, assorted handgun rounds etc.

I have no experience in reloading so am hesitant to go for a progressive. I know I would like to reload faster than a single stage press allows, and I am leaning towards a turret press. I have been looking at getting one of the lee turret kits, does that seem to be a good idea for a beginner and for reloading large rifle rounds? Also, if I do get that kid what else would I need to start pumping out ammo?
    A good, single stage, O-frame press is like a pickup truck, once you have one you will miss it if you ever get rid of it. I started loading about 1969 and I still have the single stage press. For quality rifle ammo, they are hard to beat. I enjoy loading quality ammo so speed was never an issue for me. I have a progressive as well but I do mostly pistol ammo on it. The only rifle ammo I ever ran in a progressive was 223 Rem. I loaded everything including pistol for at least 15 years on the single stage. I have set up turret systems for friends but never had the desire to own one. Nothing against them, it just was not a need for me. Good luck in your search.

(Luzerne County)

+1 about the single stage O press.
    A turret press....such as the model by Lee ....is a takeoff on the single stage. You still have to do one case at a time but do not have to change dies as they are all in the turret.
    It is suitable for a beginner.
    There are two ways to use a turret press. One is that you put a clean case in and run it through each operation until you have a finished cartridge. The other is to use it for batch loading - like a regular single stage - and do a single operation for a run of cases (10-20-30-40, etc.) before moving on to the next die in the turret and the next set of operations. This option requires that the press be set for manual operation of the turret.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Westmoreland County)

As said above I would also recommend a single stage press. One such as the Redding Big boss as the two rifle rounds you mentioned the 4-½ inch frame opening is a big plus in seating bullets in the longer cases. I have loaded a ton of 270, 3006, and recently started loading 7mm magnum on my Big Boss. You have plenty of leverage as well as the extra room in the frame opening..

(Somerset County)

Get a reloading manual first and read it a couple of times. I suggest a Lyman. There are some stickied threads for new reloaders on here, read them.

I'm not a fan of Lee stuff, I'm not impressed by the few pieces I have. I prefer Lyman and RCBS.

I see no time savings with a turret, it takes mere seconds to spin a die in or out of a press. Because of the need to measure and maybe trim cases plus dealing with case lube (not a fan of One Shot either) I don't see much time savings to be gained anywhere for reloading rifle. I can see it for handgun.

My advice is to start with single stage loading rifle rounds.

Dale

Go with the Lee Classic Cast Turret press. You can reload on it single stage during the learning process or when working up loads or auto when you are ready to pump some out. Anyone who trashes this press has not used one. I currently have Dillon, RCBS, Lyman and Lee presses and all have functioned flawlessly for me. I just think you get more bang for the buck with the Classic Cast.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I see no time savings with a turret, it takes mere seconds to spin a die in or out of a press.
    Huh? I guarantee you there is a time savings...
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

(Montgomery County)

Visits King Shooter Supply in King of Prussia.. They are mainly a Dillon shop, but I believe they also have an RCBS press there.

The Dillon 550b would do all that you are asking.. You can use it like a single stage, and go progressive when you are comfortable without any added expense to do so.

Dillon is a little more money for caliber conversions depending on how you do it. There are tricks to keep the costs down.

I went with the 550 as my very first press. I have no regrets. I've had a hornady LnL and sold it quickly.

Thought I needed a single stage rifle rounds. My 550 has been just fine for that.

Get into Kings and they might be able to go over the press with you. Also, there are 3 or 4 dillon shops within prob 2 hours drive of you. So parts and other items might be easier to get vs having to order over the internet and wait.

One big factor for going progressive is volume and how much time you want to spend behind the press. At first you will really enjoy it. As your volume increases and you are shooting more, you will not enjoy that amount of time as much.. Really depends on how often you are shooting and the time you have to dedicate to it.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Allegheny County)

+1 on the Dillon 550B.

However, I started reloading .223 & 30.06 on a RCBS Rock Chucker (single stage). I used it for 5 years before buying a 550B.

It depends on how much you want to spend ($ wise) and how many rounds a year you plan on reloading, and how much time you want/have to spend at the press.

In the beginning I only reloaded about 2000 .223, and maybe 600 30.06 a year. The single stage RCBS was fine for that volume. I moved onto the Dillon to save time when reloading .223 (I shoot it every week).
    I still use the RCBS for 30.06 (which I shoot less often).
    Last edited by Hawk; January 9th, 2014 at 12:37 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Tioga County)

As a new reloader myself and having already started, my opinion is don't bother with a progressive press. By the time you buy all the junk you need for it, you into hundreds of bucks and more and you really need to see if you even like reloading plus learn to walk before you run. You'll also see what you like or don't like in regards to different brands and all of that experience will help if and when you decide to upgrade.

I think Lee is fine to start with. You can get started without a huge investment and go from there.

A single stage or turret press is fine and even if you upgrade to a progressive you might find it easier to do some tasks on a single stage.

You'll need a reloading manual or 2 for data. I found the Speer manual had a lot of good info in it. The Hornady manual, I hardly learned anything new from but the Hornady manual was more up to date on data. Most of what I learned was from Youtube. There are extensive videos on there covering every aspect of reloading and you get to see how other people go about it.

I have an old turret press that was donated to me, but for starting out I've been using a $30 Lee hand press. I like it and it doesn't restrict me to sitting at a "bench". I can sit anywhere and use it. Even if I got the most incredible whizbang progressive I'd still use a Lee hand press sometimes.

Here is a list of things I bought to get started:

$30 Lee hand press
    $75 Hornady 2 liter ultrasonic cleaner(got a good deal on that)
    $40 RCBS 300 Blackout dies
    $16 2 RCBS shell holders
    $22 Hornady calipers
    $13 Hornady ultrasonic solution
    $38 Lee 9mm dies
    $24 Hornady electronic scale
    $16 Lee Auto Prime priming tool
    $22 Lee powder measure and funnel
    $9 Lee decapping die
    $10 assorted tools
    $20 9mm case gauge

So I have already spent $335 for gear, 2 die sets and tools to make sure I can clean brass, prepare it, measure it and weigh my powder. A case trimmer is next. I thought I got pretty good prices from Natchez and Midway with some coupons(not factored into those prices) and free shipping.

I plan on keeping boxes for everything and when I upgrade tools I can sell it on ebay.

The ultrasonic cleaner was a bigger investment but I plan on using it to clean some gun parts and old magazines too. Usually the 2 Liter model runs around $125-$140, so the $75 I spent on a special Cabela's had was a good deal, plus even got free shipping.

But you can even go cheaper than that. To clean brass I bought a $2.50 bucket at Lowes, put brass in the bucket, put Lemishine in(citric acid), some Dawn, sealed the top and then tied to the riding lawn mower and let it bang around for a few hours. Came out with clean sparkling brass that would satisfy most anyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast