Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Revealed Concealed Weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland_Shooter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRMarty View Post
    I have posted some stupid stuff I have heard from supposedly intelligent people. My favorite is the retired teacher standing next to her husband as he and I discussed guns in general, his old 22 he hadn't shot in years, and going to the range. He thought he needed a "permit" from the Magistrate to go to the range.
    Wife - I am so worried, you can't own a gun in PA without a permit.
    Me - Sure you can.
    Wife - "You can't buy a gun in PA without a permit.
    Me - sure you can.
    Wife - "You can't carry it around in PA without a permit.
    Me - Sure you can. It is called open carrying, allowed most places in PA without a license . And to and from the range and guns store is also allowed. If you want to conceal carry, apply for a license to carry, in PA it is called a LTCF License To Carry Firearms
    She - Well I know you can't carry it loaded.
    Me - sure you can.
    She - Well I know you can't carry in a bank.
    Me - Sure you can.
    She - Well, I know you can't carry in a bank with the word "National" in the name.
    Me - Huh?

I changed the subject........
    I apologize in advance:

You chose poorly.
    Please explain choosing poorly?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Please explain choosing poorly?
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Sshuker View Post
    I figure every time I have such a conversation that forces the cop to confirm I am correct, that cop has learned something and maybe even made a big enough impression to discuss it with his fellow officers.
    What he says to his fellow officers is "I dealt with this jackass today who claimed to be a lawyer and was trying to school me on the law." All of his buddies will say, "Yeah, those 'lawyer' guys are real douche nozzles. Hate 'em all. Hate the real lawyers almost as much."

(Montgomery County)

Definitely the way to get on the bad side of a LEO is to inform him that you're a lawyer. Most have a very, very bad view of lawyers.

When my wife, an attorney in a Fortune 100 company (i.e., not a criminal attorney) revealed to a local LEO that she was an attorney, the LEO actually had the temerity to say that she "must not be a good lawyer" because she CORRECTLY stated the law of Pennsylvania as it pertained to the situation we became involved in. He didn't agree with her (and the court's) interpretation of this black letter law, and "lost it" on her when she demanded that he write a citation, or at least take a report over the incident.

I'm cool having a civil debate with LE, but too many take ANYTHING but absolute compliance as a threat to their authority. They ARE the law as far as they are concerned.

Then they wanna lock you up, which I really like to avoid, but you'll get the "You may beat the rap, but you still take the ride" kind, and so you get locked up.

It's not the end of life as you know it as some would have you believe.

I try to approach it as a teaching moment. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeba View Post
    A while back, while shopping at Home Depot, I had to reach up to a high shelf to grab some pipe fittings. In so doing, my sweatshirt rose up, exposing the butt of my Taurus 617 in an IWB holster. Coming back down to earth, the shirt stayed above the butt as a woman was passing by behind me. As I looked at her, she placed herself between me and her child in the shopping cart, walking sideways down the rest of the aisle.
    I cruised the store for about ten more minutes, and waited in the checkout line for another five, all the time waiting for that tap on my shoulder that never came. I also thought the local constabulary would be waiting for me outside, but, again, I was wrong.
    That look on that woman's face got me thinking about how the public perceives a firearm displayed out in the open. That's probably the biggest reason I don't OC.

I believe there is a difference between OC and a situation where a person is CC but inadvertently unconceals their handgun.

In your example the woman became aware of something your were intentionally trying to hide. Although not everyone "hiding" their weapon is a criminal, it is pretty universal that criminals hide their weapons right up to the last minute. In the moment when she saw yours she may have associated you with that element.

I've read numerous times that open carry used to be referred to as "gentleman's carry" because only honest, law-abiding gentleman would OC. Criminals and all manner of "evil-doers" would conceal. Unless a person knows you personally, how do they know which you are?

So, as part of my experiment, I open carry exclusively, and in over 5 years I have never had an encounter like yours. I have had literally hundreds, including more than a dozen with local LEOs, and every one has been positive. Maybe it's just because I'm not hiding anything? Who knows, right? Carry any way you prefer. I've always said I don't care how people carry as long as they (legally of course) carry. But the notion that OC scares people is one that I have found to be untrue. Having been born and raised in Maryland, where untruths about guns rules the day, I am particularly sensitive about it.

How many years have you open-carried, and what were your experiences with it?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bucks County)

So, as part of my experiment, I open carry exclusively, and in over 5 years I have never had an encounter like yours. I have had literally hundreds, including more than a dozen with local LEOs, and every one has been positive. Maybe it's just because I'm not hiding anything? Who knows, right? Carry any way you prefer. I've always said I don't care how people carry as long as they (legally of course) carry. But the notion that OC scares people is one that I have found to be untrue. Having been born and raised in Maryland, where untruths about guns rules the day, I am particularly sensitive about it.

How many years have you open-carried, and what were your experiences with it?[/QUOTE]

After I joined the forum here, I read posts from you and Viper, amongst others concerning your experiences with OC. I chose to begin OCing to see what I would experience in my area. Nothing negative in more than a year of nearly daily carry. Plenty of thumbs ups and people asking what I carry. A few wondering why, and I have many responses for those. I also think no matter how you carry, please just do it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    What he says to his fellow officers is "I dealt with this jackass today who claimed to be a lawyer and was trying to school me on the law." All of his buddies will say, "Yeah, those 'lawyer' guys are real douche nozzles. Hate 'em all. Hate the real lawyers almost as much."
    LOL. I doubt that. When you tell a cop you are an attorney, you are required by the cannons of ethics to be ready to prove it as impersonating an attorney can get you several years in jail. So, once I say it, I always produce ID or give them a card.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigInPa View Post
    Definitely the way to get on the bad side of a LEO is to inform him that you're a lawyer. Most have a very, very bad view of lawyers.
    In general I would not disagree, but I tend to do better than most. I started out in the DA's office and then defended police departments and municipalities on civil claims. Once tends to do better if you have been in the system they are in and have saved a leo's or two's ass.

(before anyone gets worked up, when I refer to civil claims here, I am not referring to civil rights claims. You have no idea how often the cop get sued when little Johny dies while fleeing in a high speed chase.)

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Sshuker View Post
    LOL. I doubt that. When you tell a cop you are an attorney, you are required by the cannons of ethics to be ready to prove it as impersonating an attorney can get you several years in jail.
    As I am not an attorney, I am not bound the the canons of ethics and impersonating a lawyer is only illegal if you actually engage in the practice of law.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    As I am not an attorney, I am not bound the the canons of ethics and impersonating a lawyer is only illegal if you actually engage in the practice of law.
    Sure about that? When asked if I'm an attorney, I reply with "Why? Do you treat attorneys different than non-attorneys?" Pretty effective.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast